SS on JK

Donn Beach

Re: SS on JK

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 14, 2022 12:14 pm

And actually I'd come to the view of pinning it on dipoto, he is president of baseball operations, that should give him a fair amount of control of the budget

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 14, 2022 12:16 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:14 pm
And actually I'd come to the view of pinning it on dipoto, he is president of baseball operations, that should give him a fair amount of control of the budget
Agree.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 14, 2022 12:29 pm

Here is Mather on the role of president when he was with the mariners
. "I think the president's role is to provide resources," Mather said. "Coordinate the business side and the baseball side and provide resources. Whether it's a Dominican [Republic] academy or a Draft signing or a new pitching coach in Tacoma or a free agent on the market, we have to provide the resources."
On selling the idea to spend to the owners
."There are different opinions in the room," Mather said of the board of directors. "But as a group, it's an easy sell. You just have to show them a plan. It's an easy sell, because we've been losing and these guys are tired of it."
That's something I pushed in the past, owners are as much fans as anybody on this forum. I don't think they are adverse to spending because they are cheap or greedy. I do think they need to be presented with a plan

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 14, 2022 1:54 pm

Okay so it's all on Jerry. If the Ms finish below .500 do you think the owners will fire him or even remove him as GM? I don't.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat May 14, 2022 3:19 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:54 pm
Okay so it's all on Jerry. If the Ms finish below .500 do you think the owners will fire him or even remove him as GM? I don't.
So I ask again, do we really think that the owners handed him this huge budget and he refused to spend it? I just don't get this philosophy. Any GM knows that he needs to win to keep his job, why would he go way under budget? One of two things happened. 1. They weren't able to spend the money because guys wouldn't sign or 1. They didn't have the money to spend.

It makes no sense to me that anyone would believe that the GM had money and sat on it. That would be as if Julia Roberts character in Pretty Woman looked at price tags in the store while Richard Gere was throwing money around. She didn't give a shit about saving him money anymore than Jerry would about saving the owners money, unless it was one of the tasks he was assigned.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 14, 2022 3:48 pm

It isn't just about the payroll. I don't want to see another Cano situation and that could easily have happened if Jerry had made competitive offers for guys like Story, Bryant, and Simian. He needed to sign some midling talents at C and OF for depth at least so that they wouldn't be throwing clowns like Raleigh, Kelenic, and Torrens out there every day. And another MoR SP so that they wouldn't start a guy that clearly wasn't ready and another that will be on limited innings. Jerry couldn't get it done with regard to the latter and his infatuation with the aforementioned losers is disturbing.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat May 14, 2022 4:51 pm

To be fair, looks like Jerry made the right move in not offering major contracts to Schwarber, Marte, Semien, Bryant, Story, Baez, Correa, Seager... they've all been really bad and we'd be hating him for spending that money. The only guy he maybe whiffed on not landing is Seiya, but even he has returned to earth after a hot start.

You can make an argument for Jerry going hard after a Freeman or Castellanos to DH, but it's pretty clear their minds were set on joining some very established rosters... the odds of them coming here to DH at this stage in their careers was pretty small.

The gem of the current FA class has been Rizzo and not one person here wanted him.

Good news is they've got a lot of money to spend still and it's not locked up in 8 years of Semien, Story or Bryant.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sat May 14, 2022 7:12 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:29 pm
Here is Mather on the role of president when he was with the mariners
. "I think the president's role is to provide resources," Mather said. "Coordinate the business side and the baseball side and provide resources. Whether it's a Dominican [Republic] academy or a Draft signing or a new pitching coach in Tacoma or a free agent on the market, we have to provide the resources."
On selling the idea to spend to the owners
."There are different opinions in the room," Mather said of the board of directors. "But as a group, it's an easy sell. You just have to show them a plan. It's an easy sell, because we've been losing and these guys are tired of it."
That's something I pushed in the past, owners are as much fans as anybody on this forum. I don't think they are adverse to spending because they are cheap or greedy. I do think they need to be presented with a plan
My thoughts exactly over the past five years. If DiPoto can't "sell" his vision, then what in the hell good is he? From what I've seen, his "vision" is to get to the playoffs as cheaply as possible. If ownership is ready to spend, why is DiPoto not capable of doing so? Because he thinks he can do it on the cheap and cannot admit he's made mistakes.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 14, 2022 7:18 pm

Like I have said, I think he may now have a stake in the team after his promotion and is financially incentivized to be cost effective.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat May 14, 2022 7:48 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:19 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:54 pm
So I ask again, do we really think that the owners handed him this huge budget and he refused to spend it? I just don't get this philosophy. Any GM knows that he needs to win to keep his job, why would he go way under budget? One of two things happened. 1. They weren't able to spend the money because guys wouldn't sign or 1. They didn't have the money to spend.

It makes no sense to me that anyone would believe that the GM had money and sat on it. That would be as if Julia Roberts character in Pretty Woman looked at price tags in the store while Richard Gere was throwing money around. She didn't give a shit about saving him money anymore than Jerry would about saving the owners money, unless it was one of the tasks he was assigned.
Yes, that's exactly what I think.

Maybe Artie Moreno didn't want to sign guys behind Dipotos back- he just felt like he had to to get enough actual wins on the field instead of Dippys dumpster dives.