Draft pick strategy

AT Funchal-Madeira

Draft pick strategy

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:00 am

Well, we are through the first and 2nd days of the draft and I was shocked and pleased to see Dipoto employ what I think should be the M's draft strategy for the next ten years.... that is to draft high school position players first, then go for pitching in the later rounds . They took high school position players in the first two rounds (I'd have been all right with 3 or even 4 rounds.... then they took a high school pitcher in round three and some more pitching after that... It was mixed with another catcher and other position players laters.... I'd have gone position players, high school for 4 rounds, then pitchers, high school and college for the next six rounds but this is a step in the right direction, imo... reaching out to get the most talented high ceiling players available in the draft by concentrating on those younger high school players. We will see how it works out with these three youngsters... I have high hopes talent wise...for catcher Harry Ford, shortstop Edwin Arroyo, and pitcher, Michael Morales.

desbcoach

Re: Draft pick strategy

Post by desbcoach » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:04 am

AT Fresno wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:00 am
Well, we are through the first and 2nd days of the draft and I was shocked and pleased to see Dipoto employ what I think should be the M's draft strategy for the next ten years.... that is to draft high school position players first, then go for pitching in the later rounds . They took high school position players in the first two rounds (I'd have been all right with 3 or even 4 rounds.... then they took a high school pitcher in round three and some more pitching after that... It was mixed with another catcher and other position players laters.... I'd have gone position players, high school for 4 rounds, then pitchers, high school and college for the next six rounds but this is a step in the right direction, imo... reaching out to get the most talented high ceiling players available in the draft by concentrating on those younger high school players. We will see how it works out with these three youngsters... I have high hopes talent wise...for catcher Harry Ford, shortstop Edwin Arroyo, and pitcher, Michael Morales.
I like grabbing some HS boys but also like some of the Logan Gilberts of the world. A mixture is always good

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:28 am

I was happy to see this strategy also Terry! It's easy to nitpick any pick, but if this guy turns out close to Russell Martin it's probably a nice pick regardless of who else was available.

None of the picks right behind Ford sound any more exciting than Ford does to me.

The next two picks were high ceiling high schoolers. With the pipeline they have in the minors right now it's definitely the right direction for awhile.

One thing I'm not sure about is if the draft had any impact on Dipotos future. None of them would have contributed this year before his contract is up so he was probably pretty safe to do whatever he wanted in the draft, unless he happened to be fired first.

The way the team is performing it's probably a given that he gets at least a one or two year extension without considering the draft unless they tank the rest of the way. Do you guys feel otherwise? I could be misreading our current landscape.

I think they'll even get better from here on now that the cream has risen to the top.

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:39 am

bpj wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:28 am
I was happy to see this strategy also Terry! It's easy to nitpick any pick, but if this guy turns out close to Russell Martin it's probably a nice pick regardless of who else was available.

None of the picks right behind Ford sound any more exciting than Ford does to me.

The next two picks were high ceiling high schoolers. With the pipeline they have in the minors right now it's definitely the right direction for awhile.

One thing I'm not sure about is if the draft had any impact on Dipotos future. None of them would have contributed this year before his contract is up so he was probably pretty safe to do whatever he wanted in the draft, unless he happened to be fired first.

The way the team is performing it's probably a given that he gets at least a one or two year extension without considering the draft unless they tank the rest of the way. Do you guys feel otherwise? I could be misreading our current landscape.

I think they'll even get better from here on now that the cream has risen to the top.
I think he felt confident about his job or would not have gone that direction.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:47 am

desbcoach wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:39 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:28 am

I think he felt confident about his job or would not have gone that direction.
He's got to be feeling pretty confident given where the team is at.

Someone who looks at a person's motivations could view it from another angle where if he drafted college players it would seem like he's not as confident in his rebuild as it sits. 🤔

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:45 am

I like this draft strategy this year, but I don't think it's one they should do every year. Statistically, in any given draft year, most of the players drafted, even in the first round, don't have significant major league careers. And of the ones that do, most of those are drafted out of college. It's just a fact. But I think teams should roll the dice every now and then when they feel strongly about a high school player, because a few of them do develop into stars.

My type of draft strategy would lean heavily on college players with a sprinkling of HS position players here and there in the first 3 rounds and maybe the occasional HS arm farther down. Beyond that, there's no real point to it. You're not going to find some hidden gem that the rest of the baseball world doesn't know about. Every team knows who these guys are and with the bonus pool limits, you can't pop a guy in the seventh and give him second round money anymore. And by the way, even when you could do that, most of those guys didn't develop. Take a look on B-Ref at some of the previous drafts and you'll see what I mean. It's brutal.

Harry Ford is basically raw, athletic clay. He has great bat speed but his swing is dogshit. The gamble is that they can get him in a professional setting and fix him mechanically, turn him into a professional hitter. We'll see how it goes. He's a lottery ticket, basically.

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:13 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:45 am
I like this draft strategy this year, but I don't think it's one they should do every year. Statistically, in any given draft year, most of the players drafted, even in the first round, don't have significant major league careers. And of the ones that do, most of those are drafted out of college. It's just a fact. But I think teams should roll the dice every now and then when they feel strongly about a high school player, because a few of them do develop into stars.

My type of draft strategy would lean heavily on college players with a sprinkling of HS position players here and there in the first 3 rounds and maybe the occasional HS arm farther down. Beyond that, there's no real point to it. You're not going to find some hidden gem that the rest of the baseball world doesn't know about. Every team knows who these guys are and with the bonus pool limits, you can't pop a guy in the seventh and give him second round money anymore. And by the way, even when you could do that, most of those guys didn't develop. Take a look on B-Ref at some of the previous drafts and you'll see what I mean. It's brutal.

Harry Ford is basically raw, athletic clay. He has great bat speed but his swing is dogshit. The gamble is that they can get him in a professional setting and fix him mechanically, turn him into a professional hitter. We'll see how it goes. He's a lottery ticket, basically.
He is the same lottery ticket as the international talent is every year. With exception of spending more time with player

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:37 am

desbcoach wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:13 am
He is the same lottery ticket as the international talent is every year. With exception of spending more time with player
He's a bit older but that's a reasonable comparison. The question is, when is it appropriate or wise to go for the lottery ticket upside vs. the more skilled, lower-ceiling prospect like Matt McLain? Matt McLain, if healthy, will probably make it to the major leagues at some point with a good chance of being a solid player but probably not a franchise cornerstone. Harry Ford has way more athletic upside but the hit tool is a real question, and you don't know how he'll react to pro pitching. If it all comes together though, he could be a great major league player, one you build a team around. What I'm saying is that most years, I would probably lean more towards the polished college product, but that you have to keep an open mind as well, especially when you're drafting earlier.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:21 am

The strategy might be okay but the guy they picked is a dud. The Marlins got a far better high school prospect at #16 (Watkins) and the speculation is that he wouldn't have signed with the M's due to geography so there you go.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:43 am

AT Fresno wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:00 am
I'm fine with it in theory, just wish we would have focused on the hit tool instead of box jumps and squats and speed in the first round.

And this in the second round:
Offensively he is more of a project, as high school hitters tend to be. At just skimming six feet and 170 pounds, there’s plenty of strength to be added, but right now the power projections are light, and he’s seen as more hit/contact over power.
I think its more evidence of them trying to get too cute and cutting edge instead of going with what works. But how can I doubt them, they hit the jack pot with their last 1st round position player by focusing on Defense.........in a first baseman in the form of future Triple Crown winner Evan White.
dt