D-train

Significantly: What does it all mean

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:08 pm

dt

D-train

Re: Significantly: What does it all mean

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:16 pm

Ok I am cautiously F-ing Jacked! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“All we can do is follow the rules and the market as it exists right now,” Dipoto said. “And our expectation is that the week after the World Series, the market will open, and we are going to be very aggressive going out. We always are. We tend to move pretty quickly. But we’re going to go out and we are going to be heavy in recruiting the free agents that we think make sense for us.”
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:54 pm

That almost all sounds like exactly what we would want to hear!

Only part I take exception with is acting like what they did with the DH spot was anything short of a mockery this season.

But, if they add more talent, it should eliminate guys like Moore and Bauers from getting DH at bats so I'll hold out judgment.

Not sure why if you want to add offense as he says, a natural place would be DH. But whatever. I'd love to have enough good bats like France and Haniger that deserve a day off at DH.

Crawford and Lewis just don't deserve the at bats there. It's a strike against your lineup any day they start there because then you have their weak bat at DH, plus the weak bat that takes their spot in the field off the bench.
“One way to categorize our needs, we would like to add offense,” Dipoto said. “Wherever the offense comes from, it would be hard to imagine one of those players not manning some infield position. There’s an opportunity to use that DH spot in a creative way like we did this year. That's the game as well. But we're just looking to add talent.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:58 pm

Creative = I'm so insecure that I can't just have the fucking balls to go with what's worked for 100 years
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:05 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:58 pm
Creative = I'm so insecure that I can't just have the fucking balls to go with what's worked for 100 years
Yet it would be so much cheaper and easier to add an .850 OPS DH than it would an .850 OPS shortstop.

Seems like it's a move that should be right up their alley.

Unfortunately it's one of his thought experiments like the 6 man rotation that he just hasn't realized didn't work.

He's under the, "Well Torrens was average.." line of thought instead of, "Average doesn't make the playoffs." line of thought that he needs to get in.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:10 am

bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:05 am
D-train wrote:
Yet it would be so much cheaper and easier to add an .850 OPS DH than it would an .850 OPS shortstop.

Unfortunately it's one of his thought experiments like the 6 man rotation that he just hasn't realized didn't work.

He's under the, "Well Torrens was average.." line of thought instead of, "Average doesn't make the playoffs." line of thought that he needs to get in.
Even worse is that Torrens was not bad relative to our shit lineup so lets promote him a fan fav and savior of the org.
dt

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:18 am

bpj wrote:
D-train wrote:

Says who?

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:18 am

D-train wrote:
Who's insecure?

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:44 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:18 am
bpj wrote:
D-train wrote:

Says who?
This is what Dipoto said, same old plan at DH. Let's hope the rotational DH includes more good players and it won't be as much of a disaster.
“One way to categorize our needs, we would like to add offense,” Dipoto said. “Wherever the offense comes from, it would be hard to imagine one of those players not manning some infield position. There’s an opportunity to use that DH spot in a creative way like we did this year. That's the game as well. But we're just looking to add talent.”

SeattleSportsRUs

Post by SeattleSportsRUs » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:38 am

bpj wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:54 pm
That almost all sounds like exactly what we would want to hear!

Only part I take exception with is acting like what they did with the DH spot was anything short of a mockery this season.

But, if they add more talent, it should eliminate guys like Moore and Bauers from getting DH at bats so I'll hold out judgment.

Not sure why if you want to add offense as he says, a natural place would be DH. But whatever. I'd love to have enough good bats like France and Haniger that deserve a day off at DH.

Crawford and Lewis just don't deserve the at bats there. It's a strike against your lineup any day they start there because then you have their weak bat at DH, plus the weak bat that takes their spot in the field off the bench.
Why does Lewis have a weak bat?

I'd say it's pretty harsh to judge Lewis's bat as "weak" when he's hung a 120 OPS+ for his career. His .726 OPS over 34 games wasn't great, but he got a late start to the season and then got injured before he could get on a hot streak.

Correa had a .709 OPS in 2020 over 58 games. In 2018 he had a .728 OPS over 110 games. Does that make his bat weak?