Re: Significantly: What does it all mean

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:54 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:15 pm
SeattleSportsRUs wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:07 pm
Vogelbomb wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:03 pm
Nope, not married. There's a couple options in there that decide whether he comes back
Did I read somewhere that even if he picks up his option we can non-tender him or something and allow him to become a F/A? I've never been great with the contractual caveats.
Not sure if you did or where you may have read it, but that isn't accurate. He's signed a major-league contract which guarantees him his full deal w/o having to worry about being "non-tendered." If Kikuchi sees his club option waived by the M's then decides to pick up his single-season option at $14m rather than test the market, he's guaranteed that $14m. Now, the M's could decide to hold him off their 26-man roster, but he'd have to accept a demotion to AAA I believe and meanwhile he still gets his $14m
Not sure how you fellas define marriage. But if he comes back we be married....lol. It’s up to him not us

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:35 pm

ddraig wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:01 pm
I really can't see the M's asking KK to return. OK, well I can see it, but they would be really stupid to do so...Oh, wait.

And if they don't re-up KK, would he really want to come back under those conditions knowing the club doesn't want him to return?
$13M to pitch in the bullpen....tempting :twisted:

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:35 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:54 pm
Vogelbomb wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:15 pm
SeattleSportsRUs wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:07 pm

Did I read somewhere that even if he picks up his option we can non-tender him or something and allow him to become a F/A? I've never been great with the contractual caveats.
Not sure if you did or where you may have read it, but that isn't accurate. He's signed a major-league contract which guarantees him his full deal w/o having to worry about being "non-tendered." If Kikuchi sees his club option waived by the M's then decides to pick up his single-season option at $14m rather than test the market, he's guaranteed that $14m. Now, the M's could decide to hold him off their 26-man roster, but he'd have to accept a demotion to AAA I believe and meanwhile he still gets his $14m
Not sure how you fellas define marriage. But if he comes back we be married....lol. It’s up to him not us
I actually think he can get more money in FA. Maybe not more than $13M AAV but more on a multi (2?) year deal for like $20M. Some GM will think they can get him to pitch like he did in the first half for a full season. So that's good news for us.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:17 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:41 pm
ddraig wrote:
I really can't see the M's asking KK to return. OK, well I can see it, but they would be really stupid to do so...Oh, wait.

And if they don't re-up KK, would he really want to come back under those conditions knowing the club doesn't want him to return?
Well if I had made ~$100M playing baseball, and my team made it clear that they no desired my services I wouldn't even consider coming back but give that he agreed to have the player option in the contract I assume he might use it.
Possible. But on my team, he'd be a middle reliever at best and take the "4-or-more-runs-behind" role.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:44 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:13 pm
I can't wait to see what this kid's future holds!! $4M!? :shock: :o

He is the next ultra-ultra high prospect that Seattle gets. We can't sign him until September but I think somebody brought him up at least several months ago. So we started talking about this kid when he was 14 almost 15? Geez!

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:39 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:44 am
He is the next ultra-ultra high prospect that Seattle gets. We can't sign him until September but I think somebody brought him up at least several months ago. So we started talking about this kid when he was 14 almost 15? Geez!
I think the hype around this kid is pretty irrational. Maybe the talent evaluators are right this time, but I don't see how you watch a kid play at 14 and decide then and there that he's a future major league star, or even a major leaguer at all. Bodies change so much from 14 to 18 and even from 18 to 21. We see it all the time with college players. But maybe when they watch him play, they see a special genius, a Griffey or ARod at the same age. I hope they're right.

By the way, there's a chance the new CBA includes an international draft. I hope that's not the case, but if it happens another team may get the rights to sign this kid.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:00 am

Well there is no guarantee he will be a star but there is nothing unusual about, if you are going to participate in the international market it's how it's done. Julio Rodríguez, Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Wander Franco were signed at 16, they all were. You not getting a player like that waiting until they are 18

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:29 am

I am surprised its not considered racist to have different rules for hispanic players
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:14 pm

its not different rules for Hispanic players, they apply to anybody that hasn't attended an American educational instruction. Its not discriminatory, its to their benefit not to be subject to the draft I would think. It has been manipulated by the clubs with their baseball academies and all that, created a low cost talent pipeline

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:55 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:35 pm
ddraig wrote:

$13M to pitch in the bullpen....tempting :twisted:
So you gonna trot him out there every five days to pitch three innings and put the team behind by two to four runs? As an organization, I'd be packing his bags. But maybe he feels comfortable not pitching and earning his keep. The M's have proved they are overly patient with their players (exhibit A: Mr. White). I've seen enough from KK to know he's fallen off the cliff and doesn't have the mental makeup to start again.