Trade targets Twin Twins?

Pharmabro

Trade targets Twin Twins?

Post by Pharmabro » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:30 am

I remember wanting a trade for Cruz and then looking at Josh Donaldson and thinking something.

Donaldson was a 127 OPS+ bat in 2021 and is owed 50 million for the next two years. The Twins traded Beriios and Cruz so are they thinking they are winning in 2022? The Twins don't have any good rotation parts for 2022 and Seattle has some good pitching prospects.

Donaldson was once a MVP candidate. He is still good but not great but paid elite money for his age 36 and 37 seasons. In 135 games he was worth 3.2 WAR. The acquisition cost is variable it is probably pretty low if the Twins don't kick in cash. Or, who knows we could be looking at a KC and Whit situation where they ask for the moon. And, really the Twins could sign or trade for 2 or 3 starters and rally behind Donaldson-Buxton-Polonco and challenge for the division.

2B Polonco he is going to be 28 and has 4 years potentially and 2 years for sure but is only 5.5 and then 7.5 next 2 years and like 23Million for the final 2 vested options. He was a 125 OPS+ 2B last year a covid 82 OPS+ and then in 2019 a 121 OPS+. 110 OPS+ career. No run game bonus but in 152 games he put up 30+ doubles and HRs and 4.8 WAR and is underpaid.
It would take premium + [premium } to get.

2B Luiz Arraez has a 245 game MLB slash of .313 .374 .403 .777 113 OPS+ FA in 2025
Again a higher end type but he doesn't have the power of Polonco you are just hoping he develops it.

CF Buxton is a FA next year and the last 3 years has looked like an MVP candidate if healthy all year. in 61 games last year he was worth 4.5 BWAR 171 OPS+. I don't see a fit.

C Mitch Garver 2 years of control 124 OPS+ career. 140 last year. Maybe if you are looking to offload one of: Murphy-Torrens-Cal.
Garver hasd a 90 game 157 OPS+ in 2019 a Covid 42 and then a 140 OPS+ 2021.

What looks good to me is taking on all of Donaldson's money to minimize prospect capital going back. 2B would also be great but just the fact that their assets are underpaid and locked up long term are problems. Mitch Garver might be a good get at least with the bat but he is only a 19% CS rate so all bat.

Murphy had a 128 OPS+ in 2019 but I mean if you are all about bats he is a good one and I would not mind seeing him as an occasional DH (Garver) Use one of Murphy and 1 or 2 non premium top 30 types.

So here we go
1 SS Crawford* 100 OPS+ ( I am pretty sure he breaks out next year so 115-120 OPS+)
2. 1B France 130 OPS+
3. 3B Donaldson 130 OPS+
4. OF Kelenic ( last 28 days .902 OPS) ( about a 150 OPS+)
5. OF Hanniger 125 OPS+
6. DH Garver 125 OPS+
7. 2B Abraham Toro 100 OPS+ (Switch)
8. OF Lewis 120 OPS+ (career)
9. C Murphy or Torrens ( 100ish OPS+)

Bench
Super Ut. D Moore, OF Fraley*, C Cal (Switch) 4th( I don't know how this shakes out JRod, )

The Problem I see here is filling out the line-up and for left handed hitters premium is a choice between JP, JK, JF and then SH Toro and CAl but I mean JK and JP I prject to be better but would not call either premium.

The Goods you add two semi premium bats for under 30M total and I think we would be talking losing 1 of Murphy or Torrens and then 3-4-5 of the top 30 but with protecting a dozen chosen no touch.
It looks like a quick glance we have 55 million in commits( No Kik, no Seager) I know Seags adds a few and Kik adds 13 or so if he opts in player option. Just free balling it 58 with Seags no thanks and Kik I doubt he does it but if he does
58 M present team
30 M ( Donaldson and Garver)
13 M KIK
101 Million with really only needing to add a premium LH BP part and an Ace
Problem
Starters
Flexen, Marco, Gilbert, Dunn, Justus, KIK, (plus an Ace).

That doesn't seem to bad even carrying KIK (I think he is closing in on putting it together) He was up to a 130 ERA+ at one point. And in the pen he might be a high octane BP piece.

What do you think of the Jedi Gambit Donaldson and Garver? Cost all the money 1 of Murphy/Torrens plus 2-5 top 30's with like a dozen no touches?

Bil522

Re: Trade targets Twin Twins?

Post by Bil522 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:16 am

Twins won't give up Garver for nothing.it will take significant prospects too get a catcher that can hit like that.

Kyle Lewis and Buxton are the same player....always going to be hurt.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:13 pm

Bil522 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:16 am
Twins won't give up Garver for nothing.it will take significant prospects too get a catcher that can hit like that.

Except that Buxton's ceiling has become way higher. I'd love to see what that guy could do in a full season, his head finally caught up to his talent.

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:47 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:30 am
I remember wanting a trade for Cruz and then looking at Josh Donaldson and thinking something.

Donaldson was a 127 OPS+ bat in 2021 and is owed 50 million for the next two years. The Twins traded Beriios and Cruz so are they thinking they are winning in 2022? The Twins don't have any good rotation parts for 2022 and Seattle has some good pitching prospects.

Donaldson was once a MVP candidate. He is still good but not great but paid elite money for his age 36 and 37 seasons. In 135 games he was worth 3.2 WAR. The acquisition cost is variable it is probably pretty low if the Twins don't kick in cash. Or, who knows we could be looking at a KC and Whit situation where they ask for the moon. And, really the Twins could sign or trade for 2 or 3 starters and rally behind Donaldson-Buxton-Polonco and challenge for the division.

2B Polonco he is going to be 28 and has 4 years potentially and 2 years for sure but is only 5.5 and then 7.5 next 2 years and like 23Million for the final 2 vested options. He was a 125 OPS+ 2B last year a covid 82 OPS+ and then in 2019 a 121 OPS+. 110 OPS+ career. No run game bonus but in 152 games he put up 30+ doubles and HRs and 4.8 WAR and is underpaid.
It would take premium + [premium } to get.

2B Luiz Arraez has a 245 game MLB slash of .313 .374 .403 .777 113 OPS+ FA in 2025
Again a higher end type but he doesn't have the power of Polonco you are just hoping he develops it.

CF Buxton is a FA next year and the last 3 years has looked like an MVP candidate if healthy all year. in 61 games last year he was worth 4.5 BWAR 171 OPS+. I don't see a fit.

C Mitch Garver 2 years of control 124 OPS+ career. 140 last year. Maybe if you are looking to offload one of: Murphy-Torrens-Cal.
Garver hasd a 90 game 157 OPS+ in 2019 a Covid 42 and then a 140 OPS+ 2021.

What looks good to me is taking on all of Donaldson's money to minimize prospect capital going back. 2B would also be great but just the fact that their assets are underpaid and locked up long term are problems. Mitch Garver might be a good get at least with the bat but he is only a 19% CS rate so all bat.

Murphy had a 128 OPS+ in 2019 but I mean if you are all about bats he is a good one and I would not mind seeing him as an occasional DH (Garver) Use one of Murphy and 1 or 2 non premium top 30 types.

So here we go
1 SS Crawford* 100 OPS+ ( I am pretty sure he breaks out next year so 115-120 OPS+)
2. 1B France 130 OPS+
3. 3B Donaldson 130 OPS+
4. OF Kelenic ( last 28 days .902 OPS) ( about a 150 OPS+)
5. OF Hanniger 125 OPS+
6. DH Garver 125 OPS+
7. 2B Abraham Toro 100 OPS+ (Switch)
8. OF Lewis 120 OPS+ (career)
9. C Murphy or Torrens ( 100ish OPS+)

Bench
Super Ut. D Moore, OF Fraley*, C Cal (Switch) 4th( I don't know how this shakes out JRod, )

The Problem I see here is filling out the line-up and for left handed hitters premium is a choice between JP, JK, JF and then SH Toro and CAl but I mean JK and JP I prject to be better but would not call either premium.

The Goods you add two semi premium bats for under 30M total and I think we would be talking losing 1 of Murphy or Torrens and then 3-4-5 of the top 30 but with protecting a dozen chosen no touch.
It looks like a quick glance we have 55 million in commits( No Kik, no Seager) I know Seags adds a few and Kik adds 13 or so if he opts in player option. Just free balling it 58 with Seags no thanks and Kik I doubt he does it but if he does
58 M present team
30 M ( Donaldson and Garver)
13 M KIK
101 Million with really only needing to add a premium LH BP part and an Ace
Problem
Starters
Flexen, Marco, Gilbert, Dunn, Justus, KIK, (plus an Ace).

That doesn't seem to bad even carrying KIK (I think he is closing in on putting it together) He was up to a 130 ERA+ at one point. And in the pen he might be a high octane BP piece.

What do you think of the Jedi Gambit Donaldson and Garver? Cost all the money 1 of Murphy/Torrens plus 2-5 top 30's with like a dozen no touches?
The Toronto Blue Jays loved Donaldson crediting him with teaching their hitters how to hit to the opposite field.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:47 am

Bil522 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:16 am

I think of him more as a DH that can catch when needed. His CS rate 19% vs league average 27%. I know steals are down but that is basically a 50% increase on his gunning down runners just to average catcher not even a really good one. He is a -7 defensive runs save/year. I do like the idea of adding a cheap bat for DH that can catch on occasion.