Evan White for Tyler Glasnow

Donn Beach

Re: Evan White for Tyler Glasnow

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:48 pm

its an interesting idea seems to me, here is a Cubs blogger thinking it should be the Cubs. The risk seems fairly equal, other than I guess the Rays giving him up for nothing...
I strongly believe the Rays aren’t going to want to pay Glasnow, 28, to rehab in 2022 on the hopes that they can pay him even more in 2023 for his return season. It just isn’t their style. So unless they could get him to sign some kind of funky multi-year deal right now (going into his 30s, also not their style), I think they have only two possible paths with him this offseason: a non-tender or a trade.

The non-tender is possible, as Glasnow himself admitted in a recent interview. But before that would happen at the tender deadline on December 2, the Rays would undoubtedly first shop him around to see if there is a team willing to give a little something up in exchange for being the team to rehab Glasnow. And I think that team should be the Cubs.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/202 ... r-glasnow/

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:57 pm

Even though he is injured, It seems like they would be able to get more than the worst hitting first baseman in the history of the game for him. And White will is still owed 16 million so he will likely be more expensive than Glasnow. unless Glasnow gets 11 million in arbitration in a year after not pitching at all.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:19 pm

*edit- I see we'd be buying Glasnows 2023. I was still thinking he only had one year, I'd trade Whites contract for a dinner at Dennys, so if they can pull that off, seems like a win.

What do you guys think about Whites value to get Glasnow?

I'm not sure how many teams are going to trade for expensive Casey Kotchman unless we take a bad contract in return.

White is under contract for $8M in 2025. That's more than Casey Kotchman ever made in a season ($7M).

I'm still not convinced White would've been a high round pick without Dipoto. Has never appeared remotely special to my untrained eye.

I once pointed out that Donnie Waltons AA numbers as a 2B were more impressive than Whites as a 1B.

Hopefully he proves me wrong one way or another, but White, a defense-first 1B, is about as worthless as they come in my book. We would have to give up an actual prospect in addition to get Glasnow imo.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:02 pm

This thought is rosterbation...100% so let’s go Branden ........If Kelenic soils himself to start the year and White finds his stroke....what reason is there that we couldn’t put white in left field if he starts to mash and Kelenic doesn’t it seems a wise move. We can put either player or both in Tacoma if they start like they both have when given the chance. I have about as much faith in White as I do boy wonder....but at this point cutting loose either player could really backfire and we all know about the ones who left and excelled....