OT When baseball draws to an end it's time for snooker

AT Funchal-Madeira

OT When baseball draws to an end it's time for snooker

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:35 pm

I think I showed this once before. Ronnie O'Sullivan just got knocked out of the Northern Ireland Open in a brilliant match, his first of the season. All my life I've played cue sports, straight pool, nine ball, 3 cushion billiards, snooker and english eight ball...mostly for money. I've seen lots of great players, Efren Reyes, Earl Strickland, Shane Van Boening, Pedro Pedrobueno, John Smoltz but I've never seen anyone quite like Ronnie O'Sullivan. In the States you can go to WorldSnooker.com and see the tournament schedules and quite often follow the tournaments at one of two apps..... Matchroom.live or DAZN.com. Matchroom costs about 1.99 per match, DAZN.com might be about 15.00 per year. It's all great value.
Last year Ronnie lost 5 finals.... the year before he won his 6th world championship, 20th major, and 37th ranking title. He holds nearly every record in the book. And is probably the greatest player in history with a cue stick in his hand... At 46 years old, he's still ranked #3 in the world and is a force in every tournament. His partner, Lialla Rouss is a movie and television star in Britain, Ronnie is the biggest international sports star in the world, imo... especially throughout Australia, Pakistan, Britain, China and Europe. At the World Championship over 300 million watched him play. He's won $12 million, he's worth 50 million, and he's a genius....

Loved this tribute to him at the 2018 UK Championships.... Since then he's nicked another UK trophy and a sixth world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GYA8cHGlWc

mostonmike

Re: OT When baseball draws to an end it's time for snooker

Post by mostonmike » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:05 pm

A-ha! A thread for me? Look guys, I adopted your baseball malarkey - maybe give a snooker a look.

For Ronnie O'Sullivan, I say give this video a watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3hv9cCx5xg

Its a perfect game, 147 and takes less than 5 minutes. If you don't think this is genius, you will never get snooker.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:32 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:05 pm
A-ha! A thread for me? Look guys, I adopted your baseball malarkey - maybe give a snooker a look.

For Ronnie O'Sullivan, I say give this video a watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3hv9cCx5xg

Its a perfect game, 147 and takes less than 5 minutes. If you don't think this is genius, you will never get snooker.
Unreal!!! :) Running the table playing 8 ball is one of the best feelings in the world but that is like 1000x more difficult.
dt

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:44 pm

As a young man I was taught by some old timers how to play "golf" on a snooker table. Then I got caught up in 9-Ball and my pockets got lighter while attending the U.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:44 pm
As a young man I was taught by some old timers how to play "golf" on a snooker table. Then I got caught up in 9-Ball and my pockets got lighter while attending the U.
Funny, I played 9 ball in the bowels of Lander Hall in 1987-8 with some members of the future best college football team of all time. Lincoln Kennedy, Donald Jones, Chico Fraley et al.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:18 pm

I went to one of their parties and tried a drink out of giant vat. They called it Bug Juice. Old English 800, Vodka and red Kool-Aid. lol
dt

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:56 pm

WHAT THE HELL IS SNOOKER?!?!?! :lol:

Sounds like a sex move or that chick from Jersey Shore! :lol:
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:03 pm

seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:56 pm
WHAT THE HELL IS SNOOKER?!?!?! :lol:

Sounds like a sex move or that chick from Jersey Shore! :lol:
This is snooker.... Ronnie O'Sullivan and Mark Selby are down to the colors with Ronnie leading by 11 points. There are 27 points remaining as the colors have to be run in order: yellow 2pts, green 3 pts, brown 4 pts, blue 5 pts, pink 6pts, and black 7pts. You can receive 4 pts if you hide or snooker your opponent behind another ball so that he misses the object ball. Selby is frantically trying to snooker Ronnie... he needs to over come Ronnie's lead... Selby ultimately gets the snooker but Ronnie breaks it in style...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcI1L3FSl3o

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:50 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 pm
AZOldDawg wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:44 pm
Funny, I played 9 ball in the bowels of Lander Hall in 1987-8 with some members of the future best college football team of all time. Lincoln Kennedy, Donald Jones, Chico Fraley et al.
Back in the late 60's when I was there we would go to the HUB and get fleeced by Pan Asian students. The closest I came to football studs was playing in the intermural basketball championship game against the Med School. Steve Bramwell was obviously legit and I believe Billy Parker became a dentist. Al Libke I lost track of and the monster D Linemen I doubted. We got our butts kicked. Today at 76 I can still shoot the three but "Henry" could guard me and I wouldn't get a shot off. Speaking of aging when I started by first coaching gig in 69 I could stuff a volleyball (small hands). When I ended in 04 I could barely touch the bottom of the net. As Terry can attest . . . Aging 101 is a bitch.

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:11 pm

I played straight pool in the hub sometimes in the late sixties. Earlier than that, I used to play in Seattle at the Pike, Pennyland, Ben Paris, the 211 Club, and a bar on Pike street called Smokie Joe's. The best Asian player I ever played then was a youngster named Dan Louie. He won the straight pool World Championship in and around 1978 I think. I left Seattle in '64 and played in New York until I moved to Vegas with a family.
Retired from competition for twenty five years and picked up my cue again in 1995 after my wife died.

Last time I saw Dan Louie was a sort of big time nine ball tournament at Marlarkey's in Tacoma about nine years ago. I played in that tournament but only won one round and was knocked out in the third round. He didn't last much longer. Dan Louie was in his seventies then still playing. That year, I played on a three man team to qualify for tournaments in Lincoln City and Vegas. Rick Konkler, Bill Swan and I won the Tacoma Championship and all three of us were in the top ten in stroke average. My last year of sanctioned competition. I think Rafael Martinez made it to the finals but was nearly whitewashed by Shane Van Boening who ran six straight racks. Martinez got up and miss cued and Shane ran the final rack.

Wish I had been watching Ronnie play back in the early ninties... I was all enthusiastic about guys like Nick Varner, Earl Strickland, and Efren Reyes but Ronnie was on a level I never even imagined. I played my best at about 22 years old, nearly reached that pinnacle as a sixty year old, but had I started watching Ronnie ten years earlier when I started playing again, I would have been a much better player. He was a genius, an artist, and a total perfectionists. His problems from his mental struggles and drugs while his father and mother were in prison, he managed to overcome... great story... lots of highs and lows, but the man in stroke was a revelation to me.... His cue ball control and creative genius was unbelievable... so many players have reached new levels because of his demonstrations of excellence... some are close but we may never see his like again...

When he retired in 2012 after winning the World Championship, I thought damn!! But after the new year, Ronnie declared he would return to defend his World Title in 2013. To come back to defend a title without playing a competitive round all year was unbelievable. He lost a couple of frames in the first round and was obviously rusty but his ball was coming under control and he was simply sublime in the second round and better in the third round against Stuart Bingham. The broadcasters deemed it "Snooker from the Gods". He was irrestible, incredible, unplayable... It would be like Tiger Woods winning the US Open and quitting for a year to come back and shoot a 72 in the first round followed up by three rounds like 62, 60, and 59.

Here's a frame of Ronnie in full flow.... you have to understand he's doing this stuff on a 12' x 6' table with narrow 2 5/8" pockets. Plus he's so natural, no one notices when he switches from right hand to left hand. Incredible! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-wnuttKP7E