Re: Free Agent Signing contest

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:58 am

rockycola wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:02 am
D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:28 am
rockycola wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:22 am
I don't think trades will be as spashy as some hope, not for lack of trying.
Only 3 choices for trade targets is really limiting.

DIPOTO'S FREE AGENT SIGNINGS:
*James Paxton - LSP
*Joc Pederson - OF - LH
*Maikel Franco - 3B - RH
*José Peraza - SS\2B\LF\CF

JERRY TRADES FOR:

*Max Lazar - RSP from Brewers
*Zavier Warren - SS\3B\C\1B from Brewers - SH
*Brandon Valenzuela - C\1B from Padres - SH

BYE BYE, SAYS JD:

*Taylor Trammell - OF - LH
*Tom Murphy - C - RH
*Erik Swanson - RP - LH
*Devin Sweet - SP - RH
*Adam Macko - SP - LH
So you guess is $1. LOL Jesus even I don't think it will be that horrid of an offseason.
It's actually just my 2 cents worth!
So looks like you are thinking one more year of rebuilding just for good measure??? lol
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:55 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:58 am
rockycola wrote:
D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:28 am

So you guess is $1. LOL Jesus even I don't think it will be that horrid of an offseason.
So looks like you are thinking one more year of rebuilding just for good measure??? lol
Just setting us up for another unexpected, over the top season of 99 wins this time!
My list for the contest was not my Wishlist. That list includes: Seiya Suzuki, Marcus Semien, Blake Snell. Dellin Betances and Nelson Cruz, among others.
I just don't see Dipoto able to swing that many deals. I think some of his swings will result in strikeouts. He wasn't known as a strikeout pitcher in his MLB playing career either, only 352 K's in 495.1 innings).
Some of our brethren forum brothers, more than one, had JD trading for and FA signing 8 new players. That would be a lot of excitement and I'd welcome it but 33% turnover is massive. Hey, if shooting for and landing on the moon gets the M's to the World Series, then giddy up and ride 'em buckaroos!!!
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:58 pm

Sure but I don't think he will trade for A ball prospects or sign FAs that will be lucky to get NRI deals either.
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:01 pm

rockycola wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:55 pm
D-train wrote:
rockycola wrote:
Just setting us up for another unexpected, over the top season of 99 wins this time!
My list for the contest was not my Wishlist. That list includes: Seiya Suzuki, Marcus Semien, Blake Snell. Dellin Betances and Nelson Cruz, among others.
I just don't see Dipoto able to swing that many deals. I think some of his swings will result in strikeouts. He wasn't known as a strikeout pitcher in his MLB playing career either, only 352 K's in 495.1 innings).
Some of our brethren forum brothers, more than one, had JD trading for and FA signing 8 new players. That would be a lot of excitement and I'd welcome it but 33% turnover is massive. Hey, if shooting for and landing on the moon gets the M's to the World Series, then giddy up and ride 'em buckaroos!!!
You zig when everyone else zags. You could win another win prediction contest, or come in last, lol.

Case_Of_The_Runs

Post by Case_Of_The_Runs » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:30 pm

Hi all – I have been following this board for a while, but just recently joined up. By way of abbreviated introduction, I’ll just say that I am a longtime fan of the M’s as I lived in Seattle for many years. I relocated to the Bay Area, and it’s impossible to talk M’s baseball with anyone here since they’re either A’s or Giants fans (including my family). This board has been a great outlet for me to see what other M’s fans are thinking.

I will take a crack at the FA contest, but since I didn’t join the board until yesterday, I missed the deadline. That’s fine - I am just interested in what y’all think. I will also hasten to add that I am not a sabermetrics guy. I have a basic working knowledge of those data, but I have seen how proficient and fluent most of the regular board members are, and I am just in a different league.

I approached the FA signings based less on metrics and more based on overall needs. I tempered my opinions with what I thought might be feasible. I am no GM, so take it for what it is worth – but, for example, I don’t think we are going to land Scherzer or Correa. For Scherzer, there are bigger clubs with bigger names and/or bigger fan bases that will outcompete the M’s (I’m looking at BoSox or the Angels or the Stros). For Correa, there are going to be bigger market teams that back a truck of money up to land him. Plus, I don’t think he will move from SS, and we need a 2B.

Besides the obvious holes in the lineup and need for starting pitching, I considered other team deficits. For example, we are heavy with RH hitters, and we desperately need at least a switch hitter if not a pure LH hitter now that Seager is gone. I also see catching as a huge hole that needs to be filled – especially offensively. I also see a problem with White coming back this season – and if I am not mistaken he has 5 years left on his contract. And we can’t exactly slot him in as DH, so keeping France at 1B may not be a long term solution. Finally, we have JRod up and coming, Kelenic is still unproven (and relatively untested), Haniger is on the last year of his contract, and Lewis is questionable as a reliable position player (crappy knees aren’t conducive to sprinting and stopping). So the OF could contend – even after Haniger leaves – but they need a little proven stability.

Finally, it would be hubris to pretend that you can peek inside the mind of Dipoto, but I suspect he will be reluctant to part with too many big names from a farm system he labored to build for 4 years. I also suspect that he is disinterested in adding a long term 3B (ruling out JRam – especially when France can play 3B) but that he is interested in acquiring longer term pitching studs. The logic here is I think he sees our real window of contention being the season after next when the rising stars have shown their worth, Marte is a season away from the hot corner, and he knows whether to fish or cut bait with the likes of Kelenic, White, Trammell, Fraley and even Lewis. I don’t think he wants to sign or trade for a right handed outfielder – especially to a long term contract, but I think he needs one veteran in the OF. For pitching, I expect he wants almost top tier talent to groom for next season and on into truly competitive years.

So – here’s my FA list:
* 2B - Semien 5/$130M (we will have to overpay to outbid teams like the Jays, and he would be fine at 2B. And besides – suck it, Oakland!)
* CF Conforto 5/$110M (bring a left-handed OF bat to the lineup and could step in after Haniger leaves – hence the long term contract offer)
* SP Rodon – 3/$30M (he maybe looking for something longer term…I dunno)
* SP Ray 5/$120M (Ray is a bit chancey – this season was obviously his best and hopefully not an outlier. But he seems like someone we could actually get in free agency for the right paycheck which will be high with Cy Young rumors swirling.)

Trade:
* Stallings (dude bats .250 lifetime and a defensive GG potential candidate) – this would be THE big trade of the offseason that would force Dipoto to give up a fleet of prospects, but establishes a catching duo that would eventually (immediately) be one of the best in the majors. Question – would the Pirates part with him?

Notes:
* Toro is the ultra utility player – why look to a more expensive option like Chris Taylor?
* White will be back moving France to 3B where he plays until Marte makes it to the Show – then we decide what to do with White

1B-Evan White
2B-Marcus Semien
SS-JP Crawford
3B-Ty France
LF-Lewis
CF-Conforto
RF-Haniger
C-Stallings
DH-Torrens

Bench
C-Raleigh
UT-Toro
OF-Kelenic

Starting Pitching
Rodon
Ray
Gonzo
Flexen
Gilbert

There you have it. Feel free to tear it all down – this is honestly my first serious attempt at putting my thoughts to paper, so I would be happy to see what folks who really think about this think! Thanks!

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:34 pm

ice99 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:01 pm
rockycola wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:55 pm
D-train wrote:

You zig when everyone else zags. You could win another win prediction contest, or come in last, lol.
:) Its an epic Zig. I might start calling him Zig Ziglar or Ziggy Stardust.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:43 pm

Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:30 pm
Hi all – I have been following this board for a while, but just recently joined up. By way of abbreviated introduction, I’ll just say that I am a longtime fan of the M’s as I lived in Seattle for many years. I relocated to the Bay Area, and it’s impossible to talk M’s baseball with anyone here since they’re either A’s or Giants fans (including my family). This board has been a great outlet for me to see what other M’s fans are thinking.

I will take a crack at the FA contest, but since I didn’t join the board until yesterday, I missed the deadline. That’s fine - I am just interested in what y’all think. I will also hasten to add that I am not a sabermetrics guy. I have a basic working knowledge of those data, but I have seen how proficient and fluent most of the regular board members are, and I am just in a different league.

I approached the FA signings based less on metrics and more based on overall needs. I tempered my opinions with what I thought might be feasible. I am no GM, so take it for what it is worth – but, for example, I don’t think we are going to land Scherzer or Correa. For Scherzer, there are bigger clubs with bigger names and/or bigger fan bases that will outcompete the M’s (I’m looking at BoSox or the Angels or the Stros). For Correa, there are going to be bigger market teams that back a truck of money up to land him. Plus, I don’t think he will move from SS, and we need a 2B.

Besides the obvious holes in the lineup and need for starting pitching, I considered other team deficits. For example, we are heavy with RH hitters, and we desperately need at least a switch hitter if not a pure LH hitter now that Seager is gone. I also see catching as a huge hole that needs to be filled – especially offensively. I also see a problem with White coming back this season – and if I am not mistaken he has 5 years left on his contract. And we can’t exactly slot him in as DH, so keeping France at 1B may not be a long term solution. Finally, we have JRod up and coming, Kelenic is still unproven (and relatively untested), Haniger is on the last year of his contract, and Lewis is questionable as a reliable position player (crappy knees aren’t conducive to sprinting and stopping). So the OF could contend – even after Haniger leaves – but they need a little proven stability.

Finally, it would be hubris to pretend that you can peek inside the mind of Dipoto, but I suspect he will be reluctant to part with too many big names from a farm system he labored to build for 4 years. I also suspect that he is disinterested in adding a long term 3B (ruling out JRam – especially when France can play 3B) but that he is interested in acquiring longer term pitching studs. The logic here is I think he sees our real window of contention being the season after next when the rising stars have shown their worth, Marte is a season away from the hot corner, and he knows whether to fish or cut bait with the likes of Kelenic, White, Trammell, Fraley and even Lewis. I don’t think he wants to sign or trade for a right handed outfielder – especially to a long term contract, but I think he needs one veteran in the OF. For pitching, I expect he wants almost top tier talent to groom for next season and on into truly competitive years.

So – here’s my FA list:
* 2B - Semien 5/$130M (we will have to overpay to outbid teams like the Jays, and he would be fine at 2B. And besides – suck it, Oakland!)
* CF Conforto 5/$110M (bring a left-handed OF bat to the lineup and could step in after Haniger leaves – hence the long term contract offer)
* SP Rodon – 3/$30M (he maybe looking for something longer term…I dunno)
* SP Ray 5/$120M (Ray is a bit chancey – this season was obviously his best and hopefully not an outlier. But he seems like someone we could actually get in free agency for the right paycheck which will be high with Cy Young rumors swirling.)

Trade:
* Stallings (dude bats .250 lifetime and a defensive GG potential candidate) – this would be THE big trade of the offseason that would force Dipoto to give up a fleet of prospects, but establishes a catching duo that would eventually (immediately) be one of the best in the majors. Question – would the Pirates part with him?

Notes:
* Toro is the ultra utility player – why look to a more expensive option like Chris Taylor?
* White will be back moving France to 3B where he plays until Marte makes it to the Show – then we decide what to do with White

1B-Evan White
2B-Marcus Semien
SS-JP Crawford
3B-Ty France
LF-Lewis
CF-Conforto
RF-Haniger
C-Stallings
DH-Torrens

Bench
C-Raleigh
UT-Toro
OF-Kelenic

Starting Pitching
Rodon
Ray
Gonzo
Flexen
Gilbert

There you have it. Feel free to tear it all down – this is honestly my first serious attempt at putting my thoughts to paper, so I would be happy to see what folks who really think about this think! Thanks!
Welcome to the forum COTR! Great first post. I had honestly NEVER heard of Stallings so I already learned something from you.

I think we can make a contest deadline exemption given there hasn't been a single move yet. What say you Forum brother, Jay? btw you just need to add who will be traded to bring back Stallings.

Great to have you here! :)
dt

Case_Of_The_Runs

Post by Case_Of_The_Runs » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:49 pm

>> btw you just need to add who will be traded to bring back Stallings.

Heh, heh. A fleet of prospects? (he says sheepishly)...

Let me think about this a little more. I don't know what the Pirates need or what they would take, but I know they are in the midst of a rebuild. Likely some pitching prospects of some flavor...

Thanks!

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:54 pm

Case_Of_The_Runs wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:49 pm
>> btw you just need to add who will be traded to bring back Stallings.

Heh, heh. A fleet of prospects? (he says sheepishly)...

Let me think about this a little more. I don't know what the Pirates need or what they would take, but I know they are in the midst of a rebuild. Likely some pitching prospects of some flavor...

Thanks!
Maybe just look at who some other guys have leaving town and pick one or two. Stallings isn't an FA until 2025 but is 31yo Late bloomer but great defensively and a consistent 700 OPS catcher who put up 3.0 WAR this season. Reminds me of Nola.

btw how did you find us?
dt

Case_Of_The_Runs

Post by Case_Of_The_Runs » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:10 pm

Maybe Juan Then and Brandon Willamson for Stallings? Seemed like a couple of pretty good pitching prospects who will be MLB ready in a couple of years. Plus the Pirates (as I understand it) have a good catching prospect (Henry Davis) waiting in the wings.

That's off the cuff.