Who's off the board tally

Donn Beach

Re: Who's off the board tally

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:46 pm

see how their pitching goes
9:10 pm: Jon Heyman of the MLB Network tweeted this afternoon that the Mets seemed to be prioritizing Max Scherzer and Gausman above Ray at the top of the market, which could align with concerns about forfeiting a top 15 pick by signing a qualified free agent. Heyman notes that the Mets remain interested in Stroman, among others.

1:23 pm: Billy Eppler has only formally been the Mets’ general manager a bit more than a week, but he’s jumped right into the mix and is working to bolster the team’s starting staff. Eppler said in an appearance on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM this week that he’s “engaged in a ton of starting pitching right now” (Twitter link, with audio).

A spotlight was shined on the Mets’ interest in the rotation market this week when owner Steve Cohen voiced frustration with Steven Matz’s representatives after the lefty spurned his former Mets club to sign a four-year deal with the Cardinals.
I was thinking of starting a thread when he first sent that tweet, I didn't think Cohen had anything to complain about. Its the way the business is done, there is no deal until you get a contract signed. He wanted the agent to shop offers. Bring me a bid and I will top it, give me a break. If he says he can go over $44 mil, then give them an offer that's over $44 mil when you have them on the phone, don't wait for them to call you back. Really to me it made him sound like he was new to the business

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:17 pm

ice99 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:45 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:18 am
ice99 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:21 am

I was wondering about Conforto. The mets preferred Marte at 4 yrs/$78 M. I guess they get a compensation pick too.
Depending who signs Conforto, that pick might not be worth much. If the M's sign him, they give up a third round pick. Imagine passing on re-signing your own player for a third round pick. The only way that looks smart is if Conforto goes into rapid decline next year. Honestly, teams way overvalue some of these draft picks, especially outside the first round. And I'm saying that as someone that is sort of a fan of the draft. But honestly, these later round picks don't usually amount to much. Sometimes you get lucky in the later rounds, but usually you don't.
No, they'll get a pick at the end of the second round, right after the competitive balance B picks. They've replaced the OBP and the WAR for the FA they lost.
It's still not worth passing on a legitimate MLB player. There may be other reasons to pass on the player that the rest of us don't know about.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:09 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:17 pm
ice99 wrote:
GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:18 am

Depending who signs Conforto, that pick might not be worth much. If the M's sign him, they give up a third round pick. Imagine passing on re-signing your own player for a third round pick. The only way that looks smart is if Conforto goes into rapid decline next year. Honestly, teams way overvalue some of these draft picks, especially outside the first round. And I'm saying that as someone that is sort of a fan of the draft. But honestly, these later round picks don't usually amount to much. Sometimes you get lucky in the later rounds, but usually you don't.
No, they'll get a pick at the end of the second round, right after the competitive balance B picks. They've replaced the OBP and the WAR for the FA they lost.
It's still not worth passing on a legitimate MLB player. There may be other reasons to pass on the player that the rest of us don't know about.
What are you talking about? I threw that last part ("I guess...") in as an aside. My main point is that they preferred Marte at his deal, which I thought was interesting considering Conforto played for them, and they would probably know more about him than other teams.

My follow up post was to correct you on the compensaton.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:19 am

dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:52 am

ice99 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:09 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:17 pm
ice99 wrote:

What are you talking about? I threw that last part ("I guess...") in as an aside. My main point is that they preferred Marte at his deal, which I thought was interesting considering Conforto played for them, and they would probably know more about him than other teams.

My follow up post was to correct you on the compensaton.
They seem to be passing on Conforto, rather than re-signing him, as a strategy to get an extra pick in the draft. Or at least not trying very hard to sign him. Same with Syndegaard. They put the QO on both players and the idea seems to be, if they take the QO that's fine. If not, we'll get an extra pick. The only point I'm making is that this is kind of a dumb strategy unless the pick you get is fairly high. Extra picks are nice but the reality of the draft is that most guys taken outside the first round (and often in the first round as well) don't amount to much.

I do wonder if some of these players they've signed will get flipped for prospects, either at the deadline or next offseason. The Mets have a pretty shitty farm system and could use some talent.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:16 pm

Kluber to the Rays on a 1 year deal.
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:24 am

Caught up.

BaseHitDerby

Post by BaseHitDerby » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:51 pm

Remember when people kept wanting a different ownership group then Nintendo. Well, it's been 5 years since this group took over and the KK 3/$43M deal is still the biggest ever. Not holding my breath. It looks like Bryant isn't signing before Dec. 1 either.

BaseHitDerby

Post by BaseHitDerby » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:56 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:46 pm
9:10 pm: Jon Heyman of the MLB Network tweeted this afternoon that the Mets seemed to be prioritizing Max Scherzer and Gausman above Ray at the top of the market, which could align with concerns about forfeiting a top 15 pick by signing a qualified free agent. Heyman notes that the Mets remain interested in Stroman, among others.

1:23 pm: Billy Eppler has only formally been the Mets’ general manager a bit more than a week, but he’s jumped right into the mix and is working to bolster the team’s starting staff. Eppler said in an appearance on MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM this week that he’s “engaged in a ton of starting pitching right now” (Twitter link, with audio).

A spotlight was shined on the Mets’ interest in the rotation market this week when owner Steve Cohen voiced frustration with Steven Matz’s representatives after the lefty spurned his former Mets club to sign a four-year deal with the Cardinals.
I was thinking of starting a thread when he first sent that tweet, I didn't think Cohen had anything to complain about. Its the way the business is done, there is no deal until you get a contract signed. He wanted the agent to shop offers. Bring me a bid and I will top it, give me a break. If he says he can go over $44 mil, then give them an offer that's over $44 mil when you have them on the phone, don't wait for them to call you back. Really to me it made him sound like he was new to the business
It must be nice to have the wealthiest MLB owner signing players to the team you root for. Scherzer has more upside than any pitcher in the market. a 1-2 combo of him with DeGrom could be the best ever and would be hard for other teams to overcome in a 5 or 7 game playoff series leading to a WS title.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:15 pm

BaseHitDerby wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:56 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:46 pm

It must be nice to have the wealthiest MLB owner signing players to the team you root for. Scherzer has more upside than any pitcher in the market. a 1-2 combo of him with DeGrom could be the best ever and would be hard for other teams to overcome in a 5 or 7 game playoff series leading to a WS title.
That is true.