Jerry says he has meetings set-up

Donn Beach

Re: Jerry says he has meetings set-up

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:12 am

Stroman is far from an ace, but he offers some interesting aspects
Of all of the starting pitchers available, Stroman might represent the lowest risk. He’s a complete pitcher, flexing a five-pitch repertoire with one of the most robust seam-shifted wake profiles in MLB. He leans most heavily on an extremely heavy sinker that allows him to generate a lot of ground balls and weak contact.

Something that Stroman offers more than any other free agent targets at starting pitcher is that he’s been just about as consistent and durable as they come. Aside from a torn ACL in 2015 and some minor injuries in 2018, Stroman hasn’t missed much time, and he’s been a lock for about 3.5 fWAR in each of those seasons. Stroman is known for being prideful of how well he takes care of his body, and it seems that it pays dividends: even after Stroman tore his ACL injury he was back on the mound within six months of his surgery.

According to Steamer, Stroman is projected for the eighth-highest fWAR in 2022 out of all of the starting pitchers who entered free agency. That might not seem overly exciting, but Stroman is a decent bet to exceed those projections, and he’s also projected for the eighth-highest average annual value (AAV) on his contract, via FanGraphs’ crowdsource. That works out pretty well.

Stroman isn’t dissimilar in terms of production from Eduardo Rodriguez, who got five years and $77 million, which makes for a $15.4 million AAV. Given his combination of a longer track record and more upside, I figure that Stroman will get at least $20 million a year, over at least four years. Given that Rodriguez got five years, we might see him pick the team that’s willing to give him that fifth year.

There’s room to grow, too. As I (Mikey) wrote about Noah Syndergaard, Stroman is versatile enough that he can succeed in several different ways. His four-seamer — which he hardly uses — grades out pretty well by zone-neutral vertical approach angle, meaning he could probably add a lot of whiffs by emphasizing his four-seamer and de-emphasizing his sinker. But also, Stroman isn’t using the best weapon in his arsenal. Stroman’s slider usage was 22.8 percent this past year, down from 30.4 and 30.9 percent in 2018 and 2019, respectively. If he were to lean on those more, he could add a lot of strikeouts and remove some of the variance that plays a role in his batted ball outcomes.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:28 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:56 pm
I saw a thing the other day, meant to post it but forgot. It was a way to deal with the extreme Rockies home and away splits. It was pretty wacky, not sure it was serious. You would use a platoon system, it have to include AAA players you could bounce back and forth I guess. You would have different players for away games. What I am getting at is, the thinking these days is there is an aspect to playing your home games at Coors field that makes it difficult to hit on the road.
Attachments
minions-kiss.gif
minions-kiss.gif (99.43 KiB) Viewed 437 times

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:45 am

dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:18 pm

interesting, why the love Murphy so much...Its okay by me, I wanted them to go after a vet to lead the staff as well as add offense, but if Murphy is a leader then cool
Regarding Murphy, Divish reported the following statement from Mariners President of Baseball Operations Jerry Dipoto:

“We feel like the contributions that he makes outside of what he does offensively are so vast that there’s no question he’s going to be part of our team. Murph has leadership skills; he’s very smart. He understands what we’re trying to get through from an advanced scouting perspective, our pregame strategies, our bullpen management, each guy he is dialed in to what their optimal mix is, the way they sequence their pitches and how they go about it. And he’s not afraid to be vocal in the game with both starters and relievers.”

The Mariners are acclaimed for their excellent pitching development program, which has produced fantastic results from reclamation projects such as Chris Flexen, Paul Sewald, Drew Steckenrider, Casey Sadler, and Kendall Graveman. According to Dipoto, Tom Murphy plays a significant role in that process, so despite his offensive limitations, he’s expected to continue getting reps on a consistent basis.
think about it, that is pretty much all they have going for them, that's it, the pitching they have managed to develop. If Murphy is part of that, by all means, he gets to stay

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:26 pm

Sounds ridiculous.

Well, you're terrible at producing, but golly gee, you're sure a good fella.

No wonder they're a bunch of losers.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:35 pm

you think catchers are there only for offense?...catchers and first basemen i guess

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:47 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:35 pm
you think catchers are there only for offense?...catchers and first basemen i guess
As much as any other player, yes. I don't give JP a pass because he works on his defense a lot either.

Hitting is half of what they do performance-wise, no matter how much they want to praise defense, or "receiving ability".

If you suck at hitting because you're so busy working with the pitching staff.. you just suck at hitting.

Are there any better available in free agency? No. But acting like any of our guys have earned a job based on anything is ridiculous. We didn't even have a good pitching staff compared to other teams so their argument is stupid to begin with.

Of catchers with 100+ plate appearances, our guys ranked 43rd and 61st in OPS out of 68 catchers.

Torrens, the guy who can't cut it as a catcher anymore, was ranked 27th.

There are 30 teams. Do the math. That's bad.

And HE'S apparently our DH. What a joke.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:59 pm

His overall OPS of .655 is pretty weak even for a catcher but if you take out the slow start which was understandable after missing 18 months he was at .712 after May 15th. Mariner legend and folk hero JP Crawford put up a .715 OPS.

We have bigger fish to fry with tons more options rather than spanning the globe trying to find an upgrade at catcher with some guy that doesn't know our pitching staff. Not to mention, he could be an upgrade over himself if he gets back closer to his .858 2019 OPS.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:15 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:59 pm
His overall OPS of .655 is pretty weak even for a catcher but if you take out the slow start which was understandable after missing 18 months he was at .712 after May 15th. Mariner legend and folk hero JP Crawford put up a .715 OPS.

We have bigger fish to fry with tons more options rather than spanning the globe trying to find an upgrade at catcher with some guy that doesn't know our pitching staff. Not to mention, he could be an upgrade over himself if he gets back closer to his .858 2019 OPS.
That I don't disagree with at all. I like Murphy.

But based on defense or handling the staff? No. Only because he has the potential with the bat.

There's obviously not an easy way to upgrade catcher right now, but the reasons they give are nonsense.

We want to see if he can mash again? Oh, ok, THAT makes sense. But his vast contributions outside of offense? Pfft. Pitching staff would've had to be a looooot better to buy that line.

Same team that had Dee Gordon as their emotional leader so they obviously couldn't cut him either 🙄

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:19 pm

they don't have a good pitching staff?..well then what exactly are they good at? Look at that list, Chris Flexen, Paul Sewald, Drew Steckenrider, Casey Sadler, and Kendall Graveman. None of them are any good? If there is one thing that would seem clear, its the Mariners under Dipoto have been successful in developing marginal pitchers into plus pitchers. That to me is the one thing that sets them apart, its the one thing that keeps them from being total failures, are you going to debate that? What else is there, their hitting?

And Dipoto is saying Murphy is important to that. Its not defense we are talking about, its player development and performance. There is a multiplier effect, leverage. You have what, 12 pitchers on the roster? So its a question of how beneficial Murphy is to adding WAR to each one of those pitchers as opposed to what can be contributed with four at bats per game.

What are we going to gain, realistically, 2 WAR if we replace him? That is more valuable than what Murphy could be contributing to the total WAR of the pitching staff, Okay, get rid of him then