Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

JD's rebuild grade so far

A
35%
B
35%
C
24%
D
6%
F
No votes

Total votes: 17

D-train

Re: Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:08 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:29 pm
bpj wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:45 am
Last year proved to be the year they should have started filling the holes, given that they, predictably, only missed the playoffs by a game and all.

Here we are, trying to fill all of the same holes we had last season when players were signing deals at a discount last year. And we all know they still won't fill them all like they should.

And even worse, none of the bums we "got a look at" deserved it to begin with.

Dipoto doesn't deserve an A if for no other reason than not correctly evaluating his own team when they were ready to make a push at the playoffs.

Dude was late to his own party.

It would have been so much easier if we had spent last year on a couple players. One can only imagine if Boy Wonder still had the aura ha carried into the season last year. It’s difficult to solve the obvious holes in one off-season and throw in the lockout and it’s a shitshow
How Not to approach a critical off season:

1. Do nothing the prior off season to ensure you have to do everything this offseason
2. Have a bitter parting of ways with one of the top five most popular players in team history
3. Box yourself into a corner by going public with what you Aren't going to do
4. Make sure there is a likely lock out during the critical offseason
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 pm

I was all for the Mariners sing an impact player last offseason. If there was a FA that was going to be with the team 5 years and be a TOR pitcher or top/ middle of the order bat for years to come, I would have loved it. Adding a 1-2 year guy that is slightly above replacement... I'm OK that they didn't.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:24 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 pm
I was all for the Mariners sing an impact player last offseason. If there was a FA that was going to be with the team 5 years and be a TOR pitcher or top/ middle of the order bat for years to come, I would have loved it. Adding a 1-2 year guy that is slightly above replacement... I'm OK that they didn't.
I advocated for adding the vet leadership and professional hitter that is Michael Brantley. He put up 2.5 WAR vs our LFers who combined for -0.9 WAR.

Net of +3.4 WAR

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... 2021-12-31
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:10 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:24 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 pm
I advocated for adding the vet leadership and professional hitter that is Michael Brantley. He put up 2.5 WAR vs our LFers who combined for -0.9 WAR.

Net of +3.4 WAR

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... 2021-12-31
And we missed by one game.

We didn't need a long term guy, we just needed any guy that wasn't terrible. A warm body that wasn't a black hole and didn't leave our 21 year old from AA who had never outperformed offensively as our best option.

Anyone saying no to Jose Ramirez because he's not here long term? Of course not, makes no sense.

Mesully11

Post by Mesully11 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:49 pm

It sounds like a lot people knew they were going to win 90 games last January?

By that logic, since we are a ninety win team, we made a good trade and a great FA signing so we should be over the hump I guess.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:21 pm

Mesully11 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:49 pm

By that logic, since we are a ninety win team, we made a good trade and a great FA signing so we should be over the hump I guess.
We lost Seager. Offensively we are worse

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:23 pm

Mesully11 wrote:

I predicted 87 wins in the contest. Rocky nailed it at 90.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:07 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:23 pm
Mesully11 wrote:

I predicted 87 wins in the contest. Rocky nailed it at 90.
I predicted 85 or 86 and said before the season that adding a LF would make us a 90 win team. I underestimated them. That's why the "everyone's a good GM in hindsight" argument is so annoying. We knew exactly what they needed last offseason and here we are.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:25 am

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:21 pm
Mesully11 wrote:

We lost Seager. Offensively we are worse
Seagers numbers weren't as good as his impact was offensively. He was so good with RISP and in clutch situations last year. Its going to be hard to replace what he brought last season in terms of offensive impact. Even if the next player has better statistical numbers, they very well may not be as significant.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:48 am

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:08 am
I see Jerry’s rebuild as completely dependent on JP Crawford turning out to be what Jerry envisions him as the team leader. It would have been easy for Jerry to shop this off-season and fill that position with a stud...... Since he passed on that he gets all the glory and all the blame. Evan White looked like an upper ownership overreach to some extent, I mean Mathers was convinced he was the perfect first baseman......The pitchers coming up could easily bail him out if 2 or 3 make it. how is it on Kelenic when you brought him up and he craps the bed, floor and kitchen......Jerry left him up there to humble him....can’t be much other reason after the first dozen games....and as leadoff...give me a break
A New York blogger looks at J.P. Crawford as a Yankee trade target:

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2022/2/1 ... lpe-peraza