Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

JD's rebuild grade so far

A
35%
B
35%
C
24%
D
6%
F
No votes

Total votes: 17

Coeurd’Alene J

Re: Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:27 pm

Speaking of Jake....What is his status in a contending year....trade bait

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:26 pm

909 probably not much trade value and we still need him as a fourth outfielder
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:55 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:42 pm
bpj wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:23 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:58 am

Man do you project a lot. I never had the love affair that you say I had with Kelenic. I thought he was a safe bet to contribute early, sure, but I never held him close to the same regard as I do Julio.

And he is still a top prospect imo. Who cares what the mlb defines as a prospect. His story is not yet written. He should have absolutely spent more time in AA last year though. AAA was a joke the last 2-3 years. Hopefully he can learn from his experience though. I think he'll still be a productive MLB player.
Do I project? I just read what you wrote about him.
I said I thought he be a good starting OF, not a superstar... And Is still make that trade today. Having a starting OF that could be an all star level player is more important than a reliever who is peaking in the middle of a rebuild. He may not be the perennial all star, but he still has a chance to go to a few AS games
So it had nothing to do with me projecting, just what you actually said, got it...

Point was, your love affair with Kelenic, the 10-15 time All Star, wasn't shared by everybody, not to show how deep your love affair was. Had nothing to do with hindsight, I said it before it happened and sure enough, we miss the playoffs by a game while you're holding out hope for Fraley, Long and Kelenic to pan out.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:45 am

bpj wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:55 pm

Point was, your love affair with Kelenic, the 10-15 time All Star, wasn't shared by everybody, not to show how deep your love affair was. Had nothing to do with hindsight, I said it before it happened and sure enough, we miss the playoffs by a game while you're holding out hope for Fraley, Long and Kelenic to pan out.
You are so dead set on being a proving how wrong everyone is, you can't actually read. I didn't make any claims or predections for what Kelenic would be, I just spoke to what his potential COULD be. I was speaking about how genius it was to trade a reliever in his prime for a young player with AS potential in the middle of a rebuild. I still think it was a great move. Kelenic may not work out, but Diaz wasn't going to get the Mariners to the playoffs. He had one of the greatest seasons ever as a reliever with Cano and Cruz still on the team, and still couldn't get the Mariners to the playoffs. Again, I always liked Kelenic, but I was never as high on him as Sexy and ISLTM's. I did think he was a safer bet than he's proven to be so far. I still think he'll be a productive MLB player, and everyday OF. May not be the AS, because I'm not sure his defense in CF is good enough to keep him there like I thought it would.

As for missing the playoffs by a game. I don't give a shit. I care about actually contending. I don't care about a single game playoff loss. I don't care if its 2 years or 20 years since the Mariners made the playoffs. I thought the Mariners needed to rebuild for a few years before they finally did. Now that they are, I'm OK being patient for the rebuild. The window starts next year.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:09 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:45 am
bpj wrote:

You are so dead set on being a proving how wrong everyone is, you can't actually read. I didn't make any claims or predections for what Kelenic would be, I just spoke to what his potential COULD be. I was speaking about how genius it was to trade a reliever in his prime for a young player with AS potential in the middle of a rebuild. I still think it was a great move. Kelenic may not work out, but Diaz wasn't going to get the Mariners to the playoffs. He had one of the greatest seasons ever as a reliever with Cano and Cruz still on the team, and still couldn't get the Mariners to the playoffs. Again, I always liked Kelenic, but I was never as high on him as Sexy and ISLTM's. I did think he was a safer bet than he's proven to be so far. I still think he'll be a productive MLB player, and everyday OF. May not be the AS, because I'm not sure his defense in CF is good enough to keep him there like I thought it would.

As for missing the playoffs by a game. I don't give a shit. I care about actually contending. I don't care about a single game playoff loss. I don't care if its 2 years or 20 years since the Mariners made the playoffs. I thought the Mariners needed to rebuild for a few years before they finally did. Now that they are, I'm OK being patient for the rebuild. The window starts next year.
This started with you spouting off then trying to act like you didn't mean much by what you said.

Well, ok, then just shut up and not try and push things further. But no, what really happens is you lumps try and make me look wrong so I have no problem bringing receipts.

You said:
I never had the love affair that you say I had with Kelenic.
So I posted the comments you made about him, pretty simple.

Then you said:
but I never held him close to the same regard as I do Julio.
So I posted the screenshot where you say, "Kelenic and JRod are on another level though."

I don't have to try and prove anything, you did it all by yourself.

Then you went off about how Kelenic bombing was not all on Kelenic and were dumbfounded how anyone could view the rebuild as anything but an A. Dipoto left Kelenic up there long enough to get off to one of the worst starts in MLB history before doing the right thing and getting him the hell out of there. That's on Kelenic? Nah..

I'm never ok laying down like a bitch when you could make the playoffs because you never know what will happen once you're there.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:51 am

bpj wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:09 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:45 am
bpj wrote:

This started with you spouting off then trying to act like you didn't mean much by what you said.

Well, ok, then just shut up and not try and push things further. But no, what really happens is you lumps try and make me look wrong so I have no problem bringing receipts.

You said:
I never had the love affair that you say I had with Kelenic.
So I posted the comments you made about him, pretty simple.

Then you said:
but I never held him close to the same regard as I do Julio.
So I posted the screenshot where you say, "Kelenic and JRod are on another level though."

I don't have to try and prove anything, you did it all by yourself.

Then you went off about how Kelenic bombing was not all on Kelenic and were dumbfounded how anyone could view the rebuild as anything but an A. Dipoto left Kelenic up there long enough to get off to one of the worst starts in MLB history before doing the right thing and getting him the hell out of there. That's on Kelenic? Nah..

I'm never ok laying down like a bitch when you could make the playoffs because you never know what will happen once you're there.
Again, you put two quotes together out of context. Julio and Kelenic were completely on another level as prospects than Fraley was as a prospect. That is what that whole quote was about. That is just cold hard fact. Nobody should dispute that they weren't comparable as prospects.

As for Kelenic. It's ultimately on him to get it done. He spouted off about service time. He's the one that acted like he was too good to hold back. Mariners should have started him in AA and kept him there 2-3 months. Ultimately, he'll have to figure it out. If he doesn't, it will be on him, regardless of how he started his career off. The first year doesn't define his career. Him bombing early on is just a blip. It's if he uses it to learn and if he gets better that matters.

I 100% agree with the trade, and think it was worth the risk, even if Kelenic continues to bomb in the MLB. That's the kind of trade you make when rebuilding. It will probably decide JDs fate as HM, but as a GM you make calculated risks and that is one I agree with, and I like most of what he has done in rebuilding the team.

I've always thought of Julio as the gem in the minors, and if I had a "love affair" with anyone, it was him. If you haven't seen that, you must not be paying much attention.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:11 am

What I saw was a bunch of people pushing for Kelenic to make the team and saying we shouldn't upgrade in LF and passing at a chance at the playoffs because that's not good enough if we're not the best. That's an oblivious love affair.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:23 am

bpj wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:11 am
What I saw was a bunch of people pushing for Kelenic to make the team and saying we shouldn't upgrade in LF and passing at a chance at the playoffs because that's not good enough if we're not the best. That's an oblivious love affair.
I never pushed for Kelenic to make the team last spring Training. I was saying he needed more time in the minors. I would have been fine if they brought in another OF, but was fine that they didn't. I thought last year was an evaluation year, and this is the year to fill in the holes. If not for Covid, then l last year would have been the year to fill in the holes, but that delayed the progression of the minor leaguers.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:45 am

Last year proved to be the year they should have started filling the holes, given that they, predictably, only missed the playoffs by a game and all.

Here we are, trying to fill all of the same holes we had last season when players were signing deals at a discount last year. And we all know they still won't fill them all like they should.

And even worse, none of the bums we "got a look at" deserved it to begin with.

Dipoto doesn't deserve an A if for no other reason than not correctly evaluating his own team when they were ready to make a push at the playoffs.

Dude was late to his own party.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:29 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:45 am
Last year proved to be the year they should have started filling the holes, given that they, predictably, only missed the playoffs by a game and all.

Here we are, trying to fill all of the same holes we had last season when players were signing deals at a discount last year. And we all know they still won't fill them all like they should.

And even worse, none of the bums we "got a look at" deserved it to begin with.

Dipoto doesn't deserve an A if for no other reason than not correctly evaluating his own team when they were ready to make a push at the playoffs.

Dude was late to his own party.

It would have been so much easier if we had spent last year on a couple players. One can only imagine if Boy Wonder still had the aura ha carried into the season last year. It’s difficult to solve the obvious holes in one off-season and throw in the lockout and it’s a shitshow