Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

JD's rebuild grade so far

A
35%
B
35%
C
24%
D
6%
F
No votes

Total votes: 17

Coeurd’Alene J

Re: Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:49 pm
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:33 am
It wasn’t meant to be singular as in we missed our only FA
He is my only target that is gone. Still have Bryant, Suzuki, Schwarber, Freeman and all the key trade targets still out there.
I’m not as certain we will have any two of those and more likely Storey. Not impressed with JD for all the talk of him being the trader of baseball. It looks like his con game is exposed and will have to give some pain and I don’t see him doing it

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:13 pm

AT Funchal-Madeira wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:59 pm
The premium free agents like Correa and less than premium like Bryant want long contracts and that's a touchy situation. Long contracts can become Albatrosses that restrict a mid-market team and we want to have payroll available to retain our own prospects that meet or exceed expectations... For that reason, I'm satisfied if we keep our payroll in the 110 to 120 range. I'd happily go higher if the contracts are 5 years or less...
AT, I guess my question becomes this....why do we need the payroll flexibility? The last home grown player that was worth a contract was Seager and that was 6 years ago.....before that it was Felix......before him it was Arod. Not a great track record in terms of growing our own drafted players so why again do we need flexiblity? We should be spending money like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:42 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:26 pm
If you were to judge a rebuild based on farm system rankings you would have to give him an A. Unfortunately having a highly rated farm system really doesn't mean squat unless those prospects reach the Big Leagues and become serious contributors to a playoff team. The truth is that the vast majority of the rebuild pieces that have been called up so far have been underwhelming at best. The team did alright in the wins and losses column last year but it wasn't because of the key pieces of the rebuild. When you look at their top 10 in WAR. I would really only consider France and JP to be a part of the rebuild. Even so they were already big leaguers when they were acquired so they aren't really the heart of the true rebuild. The rest of the top 10 are veterans, reclamation projects and Bullpen guys that they took a flyer on. The pieces that are supposed to be the core of the rebuild are floundering. Lewis has paxtonitis and has been streaky and inconsistent when he has managed to stay on the field. Evan White is the worst hitting first baseman in the history of the game. Kelenic and Raleigh both fell flat on their faces in their debuts. Sheffield is a complete bust as a starting pitcher. Really the only minor leaguer they have brought up that I have any confidence in long term is Gilbert. I might be more optimistic if Dipoto had a history of identifying and developing young talent. Unfortunately his 5 years in Anaheim produced zero big league stars. He has been a big league GM for 12 years and has never had a player he drafted get to a career WAR of 10. We are all hopeful that we get a couple of perenial all-stars out of the farm system with Julio and one of the pitchers but until that happens, I am giving the rebuild a D.
Agree with almost all of that but Gilbert is his one saving grace. Put up 2.2 WAR as a rookie in 3/4 of a season. That projects to 3.0 for a full season. Only France and JP were higher.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:23 pm

I think if Kelenic hadn't bombed Dipoto probably gets an A.

Next year maybe he gets the A if he finishes things off at the MLB level this offseason.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:29 pm

bpj wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:23 pm

Next year maybe he gets the A if he finishes things off at the MLB level this offseason.
If Kelenic had never been Born he probably gets a B+. Everything about it was a complete debacle....
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:58 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:29 pm
bpj wrote:

If Kelenic had never been Born he probably gets a B+. Everything about it was a complete debacle....
Agreed. It’s a little early for atta boys. Throw in Evan and thoroughly pissing off Seager which only makes us look bad

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:23 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:58 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:29 pm
bpj wrote:

Agreed. It’s a little early for atta boys. Throw in Evan and thoroughly pissing off Seager which only makes us look bad
I read your post and immediately looked to the right at your pic of JD. So perfect. LOL
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:30 pm

bpj wrote:

Kelenic bombing is on Kelenic. The trade was great, and 28 other GMs would have done that trade in a heart beat.

The rebuild has been great. He still needs to build a team though to support that rebuild, and hope enough of the young players work out.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:32 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:30 pm
bpj wrote:

Kelenic bombing is on Kelenic. The trade was great, and 28 other GMs would have done that trade in a heart beat.

The rebuild has been great. He still needs to build a team though to support that rebuild, and hope enough of the young players work out.
100%
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:37 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:32 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:30 pm
bpj wrote:

100%
I just think it's tough to criticize Dipoto week after the fact for making a trade that everyone agreed with at the time. Again, he went from worst minor league system in baseball to the best in just a few years. It's really amazing what he's done. How is anything other than an A,I have no idea.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez