Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

JD's rebuild grade so far

A
35%
B
35%
C
24%
D
6%
F
No votes

Total votes: 17

D-train

Re: Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:36 pm

This just pisses me off. Giants gave up complete trash prospects for Bryant. The rebuild has been good so far but I have doubts that JD will finish the job with authority and conviction.
Mariners — The Mariners tried to trade for Bryant last year and have been connected to him in free agency. With Kyle Seager reaching free agency and eventually retiring, they have a vacancy at third base for the first time in years. Abraham Toro would be the favorite for now, but he could also platoon at second with Adam Frazier or serve a utility role. They also have an uncertain outfield mix, with a great many talented youngsters on hand, though they all still come with varying degrees of uncertainty. After a 90-win season, they’ve been aggressive in trying to load up for 2022, adding Robbie Ray and Adam Frazier to the squad.
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 am

It sure looks like we need another year of rebuilding In order to be competitive. We missed out on the FA we needed.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:04 am

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:15 am
It sure looks like we need another year of rebuilding In order to be competitive. We missed out on the FA we needed.
Semien?
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:33 am

It wasn’t meant to be singular as in we missed our only FA

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:49 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:33 am
It wasn’t meant to be singular as in we missed our only FA
He is my only target that is gone. Still have Bryant, Suzuki, Schwarber, Freeman and all the key trade targets still out there.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:28 pm

I'd give him a B+ for the minor league level and a C- at the MLB level.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:31 pm

Curtis wants an Adam Frazier clone.

https://sodomojo.com/2022/01/13/mariner ... is-arraez/
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:34 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:31 pm

Eventually he will have done a trade proposal for every available player (besides Josh Bell, apparently...), so he's got a decent chance of getting something right

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:44 pm

bpj wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:34 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:31 pm

Eventually he will have done a trade proposal for every available player (besides Josh Bell, apparently...), so he's got a decent chance of getting something right
I believe he has already done one on every available player and has now moved on to the unavailable players. Yeah, no place to play for Bell but this guy who is literally a clone of Frazier will have plenty of places to play. :roll:
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:26 pm

If you were to judge a rebuild based on farm system rankings you would have to give him an A. Unfortunately having a highly rated farm system really doesn't mean squat unless those prospects reach the Big Leagues and become serious contributors to a playoff team. The truth is that the vast majority of the rebuild pieces that have been called up so far have been underwhelming at best. The team did alright in the wins and losses column last year but it wasn't because of the key pieces of the rebuild. When you look at their top 10 in WAR. I would really only consider France and JP to be a part of the rebuild. Even so they were already big leaguers when they were acquired so they aren't really the heart of the true rebuild. The rest of the top 10 are veterans, reclamation projects and Bullpen guys that they took a flyer on. The pieces that are supposed to be the core of the rebuild are floundering. Lewis has paxtonitis and has been streaky and inconsistent when he has managed to stay on the field. Evan White is the worst hitting first baseman in the history of the game. Kelenic and Raleigh both fell flat on their faces in their debuts. Sheffield is a complete bust as a starting pitcher. Really the only minor leaguer they have brought up that I have any confidence in long term is Gilbert. I might be more optimistic if Dipoto had a history of identifying and developing young talent. Unfortunately his 5 years in Anaheim produced zero big league stars. He has been a big league GM for 12 years and has never had a player he drafted get to a career WAR of 10. We are all hopeful that we get a couple of perenial all-stars out of the farm system with Julio and one of the pitchers but until that happens, I am giving the rebuild a D.