Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

JD's rebuild grade so far

A
35%
B
35%
C
24%
D
6%
F
No votes

Total votes: 17

D-train

Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:16 pm

dt

GL_Storm

Re: Curtis gave JD an A for the rebuild. How about you guys.

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:13 am

I don't think you can grade it yet. Sodo is just desperate for content.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:39 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:13 am
I think you can grade it so far with the understanding it could end up anywhere from A to D in the end.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:40 am

btw have you noticed LL has pretty much shut down other than their Moose tracks feature which is just posting links....
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:42 am

D-train wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:39 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:13 am
I think you can grade it so far with the understanding it could end up anywhere from A to D in the end.
I think that's the same as saying you can't grade it yet.

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:33 am

Trade 1) Cano and Diaz for Kelenic and Dunn? Give him an A for effort and an A+ for unloading Cano... so he lowered the payroll and functionally massively improved flexibility. But Kelenic is not in the prospect stratosphere we anticipated... B- on this result.... not the power lefty youngster we see in Juan Soto, Wander Franco, Valdimir Guerrero Jr., not an anchor of the lineup and his glove bears hesitation... his flyball routes are questionable... Justin Dunn has been a bottom of the rotation, shaky guy who probably won't make the rotation this year.... needs to improve to be useable: I'm giving Dipoto a D+ for Dunn results of the trade at this point. So if I add points as 1 for a D, 2 for C, 3 for a B, and 4 for an A and a half point for plusses and minuses.... I see 4 plus 4.5 plus 2.5 plus 1.5 equals 12.5/4 or 3.23..... trade one is a B.

Trade 2) Dipoto also traded James Paxton for Justus Sheffield and Erik Swanson. Decreasing payroll and increasing flexibility.... this trade hasn't helped the M's in any other way... we go a couple of cheap semi usable arms.... Trade 2 is a C.
Trade 3) Jean Segura, Edwin Encarnacion, and Carlos Santana into J.P. Crawford. Can't call this anything but an A.... although Crawford is not the total A+ player you are looking for when you trade quantity for quality. It increases the speed on the M's, increased flexibility, improved shortstop defense, and reduced offense and power.... but I'd like to make more of these kinds of trades. this is a solid B for me.

Trade 4) Fleecing the Padres: He traded Dan Altavilla, Austin Adams, and Austin Nola to the Padres for Taylor Trammell, Ty France, Luis Torrens, and Andres Munoz. Ty France is an A, Torrens is a c-, Trammell is a D+, and Munoz is a guess...But we unloaded a couple non contributors in Altavilla and Adams and an average catcher. Ty France is better than Austin Nola, way better... ...this trade was an A but it could end up better. Still have potential for Munoz, Torrens has potential with the bat.... maybe by some miracle he could learn to catch... Trammell still has a chance to be trade bait.... got to give this trade an A.

Trade 5) He traded Taylor Williams, a reliever who was having a good month, for Matt Brash. Could become an A for sure... M's have a half dozen MLB rotation prospects that are close, all have four pitches... love this trade A for effort and let's do more of these.

Trade 6) Taijuan Walker for Alberto Rodriguez: this trade probably cost us a spot in the playoffs but it could be an investment in future.... still have to give it a D at the current time but I didn't mind I

Trade 7) Kendall Graveman and Rafael Montero to the Astros for Abraham Toro and Joe Smith... Another one that may have cost us a playoff spot and one that reminds me of the Phillies trade for Crawford.... It all depends on Toro acheiving some sort of potential.....Grade c

So 19 points for 7 trades where 21 would be a solid B..... this is B- for me.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:51 am

AT Funchal-Madeira wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:33 am
Trade 1) Cano and Diaz for Kelenic and Dunn? Give him an A for effort and an A+ for unloading Cano... so he lowered the payroll and functionally massively improved flexibility. But Kelenic is not in the prospect stratosphere we anticipated... B- on this result.... not the power lefty youngster we see in Juan Soto, Wander Franco, Valdimir Guerrero Jr., not an anchor of the lineup and his glove bears hesitation... his flyball routes are questionable... Justin Dunn has been a bottom of the rotation, shaky guy who probably won't make the rotation this year.... needs to improve to be useable: I'm giving Dipoto a D+ for Dunn results of the trade at this point. So if I add points as 1 for a D, 2 for C, 3 for a B, and 4 for an A and a half point for plusses and minuses.... I see 4 plus 4.5 plus 2.5 plus 1.5 equals 12.5/4 or 3.23..... trade one is a B.

Trade 2) Dipoto also traded James Paxton for Justus Sheffield and Erik Swanson. Decreasing payroll and increasing flexibility.... this trade hasn't helped the M's in any other way... we go a couple of cheap semi usable arms.... Trade 2 is a C.
Trade 3) Jean Segura, Edwin Encarnacion, and Carlos Santana into J.P. Crawford. Can't call this anything but an A.... although Crawford is not the total A+ player you are looking for when you trade quantity for quality. It increases the speed on the M's, increased flexibility, improved shortstop defense, and reduced offense and power.... but I'd like to make more of these kinds of trades. this is a solid B for me.

Trade 4) Fleecing the Padres: He traded Dan Altavilla, Austin Adams, and Austin Nola to the Padres for Taylor Trammell, Ty France, Luis Torrens, and Andres Munoz. Ty France is an A, Torrens is a c-, Trammell is a D+, and Munoz is a guess...But we unloaded a couple non contributors in Altavilla and Adams and an average catcher. Ty France is better than Austin Nola, way better... ...this trade was an A but it could end up better. Still have potential for Munoz, Torrens has potential with the bat.... maybe by some miracle he could learn to catch... Trammell still has a chance to be trade bait.... got to give this trade an A.

Trade 5) He traded Taylor Williams, a reliever who was having a good month, for Matt Brash. Could become an A for sure... M's have a half dozen MLB rotation prospects that are close, all have four pitches... love this trade A for effort and let's do more of these.

Trade 6) Taijuan Walker for Alberto Rodriguez: this trade probably cost us a spot in the playoffs but it could be an investment in future.... still have to give it a D at the current time but I didn't mind I

Trade 7) Kendall Graveman and Rafael Montero to the Astros for Abraham Toro and Joe Smith... Another one that may have cost us a playoff spot and one that reminds me of the Phillies trade for Crawford.... It all depends on Toro acheiving some sort of potential.....Grade c

So 19 points for 7 trades where 21 would be a solid B..... this is B- for me.
Great Assessment of the trades AT! I agree. I will take a crack a the 1st round picks.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:03 am

I will assess all of his 1st round picks not just those post rebuild because rebuilds shouldn't impact draft picks. Should always be BPA in baseball.

2016 - Kyle Lewis. Very good pick. Just horrific luck with the injuries. B
2017 - Evan White. Going with a defense first 1B was absurd. Then forced the issue by giving him a $24M deal without even seeing AAA. F
2018 - Logan Gilbert. Took advantage of the fact that most teams were skeptical due to a temporary illness (Mono) A
2019 - George Kirby - Just a fantastic pick of a totally underrated pitcher that now combines triple digit velo with Greg Madduxesque control A
2020 - Emerson Hancock - Took a risk on a high upside pitcher with injury concerns. Has the talent but jury is out on his long term health. C
2021 - Harry Ford - I absolutely hated this pick but after a brief slow start, Harry served me big helpings of Crow on a daily basis. Still a bit skeptical. B

Using AT's point system that is 16/6 = 2.7 = B-
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:38 am

The only real problem was giving White a contract before he even sniffed Safeco. If he wasn't owed 20M he would have something like a Justus- Dunn- Toro value less than 10 M but more than zero.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:24 pm

dt