5 things you would change to fix MLB if you were Commish

Post by D-train » Tue May 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Just saw this tweet.

https://twitter.com/Brandon_Warne/statu ... 0960221185

Mine would be.

1. Universal DH
2. Computerized K zone
3. Limit of 3 relievers
4. Pay minor leaguers more than poverty level wages.
5. Institute payroll floors and draft lotteries to prevent tanking.
dt

Hasslecracked

Re: 5 things you would change to fix MLB if you were Commish

Post by Hasslecracked » Tue May 07, 2019 5:25 pm

1. Universal DH
2. Institute a salary cap
3. 30 man rosters instead of 25

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 07, 2019 5:30 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:25 pm
1. Universal DH
You have two more. How about: pay the Commisioner $100M a year and make you the Commisioner. :)
dt

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Tue May 07, 2019 5:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:30 pm
Hasslecracked wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:25 pm
1. Universal DH
You have two more. How about: pay the Commisioner $100M a year and make you the Commisioner. :)
That'd be my number 1 lol

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Good points DT, but I have some concerns.

I wonder about setting minimum payrolls..what the downside is to doing that. More regulations always have a boomerang effect. "Tanking" is something the worst teams do naturally in order to audition new talent.

Automate the strike zone...yes. Test it before putting it into play, though.... :idea:

Poll 100,000 or 1,000,000 National League Fans about the DH as they enter the NL stadiums. People who do not watch or root for NL teams should have no say in this matter.

3 relievers per side..yes..! The only way around this limit would be sending any injured pitcher[s] to the DL.

I'm for any measures that "even the playing field" for the teams that can not compete monetarily with the wealthiest teams.
Going into Spring Training, MLB Fans everywhere should have more hope / optimism about their team's chances of at least playing .500.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Tue May 07, 2019 5:55 pm

1. Robotic strike zone + Cameras specific to multiple spots on the field for fast replays on safe or out calls, fair/foul calls and home run/not home run calls.
2. Get rid of the damn shift. Draw chalk lines on the field if you have to, to designate positional area.
3. Universal DH.
4. NFL style Salary Cap of $180 million that every team is expected to stay around. Spending less or more will result in massive penalties that comes straight out of the club owner's pocket and into renovations of the ballpark and surrounding areas of the stadiums. I think fans are getting tired of watching the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs and Dodgers make it to the playoffs every year by simply outspending everyone. I think fans are also getting sick of watching the A's, Rays and Marlins play moneyball. They can complain all they want about their market... but you know what, you don't see the Buffalo Bills bitching in the NFL. Field a competitive team and figure out a way to get people excited about your team and in the stands. And owners, you wanna be cheap or overspend to make a profit? It's gonna hurt and it's gonna benefit the tax payers who funded the stadiums.
5. Get rid of this arbitration crap and team control that allows teams to pay young stars dirt for the first 5 years of their career. Figure out a new system that allows young superstars to get paid and not trapped on some shitty team who doesn't want to pay them. Again, I think the NFL does this well... follow a similar model.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 07, 2019 6:22 pm

Moe Gibbs wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm
Good points DT, but I have some concerns.

I wonder about setting minimum payrolls..what the downside is to doing that. More regulations always have a boomerang effect. "Tanking" is something the worst teams do naturally in order to audition new talent.

Automate the strike zone...yes. Test it before putting it into play, though.... :idea:

Poll 100,000 or 1,000,000 National League Fans about the DH as they enter the NL stadiums. People who do not watch or root for NL teams should have no say in this matter.

3 relievers per side..yes..! The only way around this limit would be sending any injured pitcher[s] to the DL.

I'm for any measures that "even the playing field" for the teams that can not compete monetarily with the wealthiest teams.
Going into Spring Training, MLB Fans everywhere should have more hope / optimism about their team's chances of at least playing .500.
Good points Moe. The one I would differ on is only NL fans get a say in the DH vote. We have to watch our pitchers go into NL stadiums and try to hit. It is tantamount to the Hawks having to play Janakowski at running back when playing AFC teams last season. We should have a say in that nonsense.
dt

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Tue May 07, 2019 6:50 pm

1) get rid of the automatic intentional walk.
2) computerized strike zone - the time has come
3) bring back hard slide to break up a double play. You just have to be able to stay on the base.
4) Lower the price of MLB.tv subscriptions
5) Mandate that beer at a ballpark should be no higher than a beer local pub.

I don't see a big need to expand the rosters if you are limiting the number of relievers, just sayin'.

:::

Post by ::: » Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm

1) Get rid of the DH;
2) Get rid of inter-league play altogether or at least significantly change it;
3) With the current 9 inning games, I would limit extra innings to 4 innings - if you can't beat your opponent by then, it's a tie;
4) For a variety of reasons I won't go into, I am up for shortening the games to 7 innings with an additional max of 4 extra innings;
5) In one fell swoop get rid of the Yankees and mandate that the M's get to represent the American League in the World Series every year no matter how bad they suck.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Scratchiro wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm
1) Get rid of the DH;
2) Get rid of inter-league play altogether or at least significantly change it;
3) With the current 9 inning games, I would limit extra innings to 4 innings - if you can't beat your opponent by then, it's a tie;
4) For a variety of reasons I won't go into, I am up for shortening the games to 7 innings with an additional max of 4 extra innings;
5) In one fell swoop get rid of the Yankees and mandate that the M's get to represent the American League in the World Series every year no matter how bad they suck.
1. This would mean a world without Edgar and Vogey. I would sooner choose to cease to exist. Though watching AL pitchers try to hit is so enjoyable.
2. I have always liked the play the rules of the visiting team idea.
3. So few go beyond 13 I don't see it as a significant issue. You can always just stop watching after 13 and not ruin it for those that want to watch.
4. See above. Stop watching after 7.
5. Sounds great. Just switch Yankees for Astros.
dt