Why can't the Mariners sign a free agent hitter?

Vogelbomb

Why can't the Mariners sign a free agent hitter?

Post by Vogelbomb » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:02 pm

Is there some kind of industry boycott by players to avoid Seattle? Or is it just that Jerry Dipoto doesn't engage fully with hitters? A free agent ss class for the ages, a genuine need at the position and the Mariners come up empty, preferring to stand pat with JP Crawford and his 102 ops+, .273 batting avg and three stolen bases. Cool.

Maybe next year when Trea Turner hits the market alongside (probably) Carlos Correa, we'll put in a real offer?

Dtrain and Dion discuss this and JRod and the 5th starter spot in the latest edition of the podcast:
https://dtrainanddion.podbean.com/e/dip ... the-board/

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Why can't the Mariners sign a free agent hitter?

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:09 pm

Obviously Jerry is operating with one testicle tied behind his back. The owners are a bunch of skinflint mfers. That said, you have to pay position players more to come here due to the ballpark factors.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:46 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:09 pm
Obviously Jerry is operating with one testicle tied behind his back. The owners are a bunch of skinflint mfers. That said, you have to pay position players more to come here due to the ballpark factors.
:lol:
Either that or he's a serious homer. My guys or bust!
He dreams every night of moneyball.
"Supposively" they have saved money for when they're ready to contend.
Do they not believe in the dish they have served?
Yes we have to overpay to get talent here.
But for Christ's sake at least open that wallet once for a bat!
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:56 pm

This free agent class featured players with a lot of risk.

Bryant - Concerns over slowing down, injured in 2018 and 2020. No way it would be wise to give a 30 year old w. no position 7/$182.

Story - Coors risk was too great. We're talking a 200 point OPS dip on the road. Why give a guy with this much risk big money?

Correa - Injured in 2017, 2018, 2019 causing him to miss upwards of 180 games. Massive OPS dips in 2018 and 2020.

Freeman - Great player, but almost 33 years old. Would you give a near 33-year-old player a 6 year deal worth $162 million? Again, risky.

Castellanos - M's traded for Winker who is already not great defensively. Castellanos is on par w. Winker but right handed. Didn't need more OF/DH's.

Trea Turner and Aaron Judge are potential free agent targets next year and would fill real need.

I bet the M's let Haniger walk opening up a spot in Right for Judge who is a much better bat and defender than anyone listed above. He does have an injury history, but he's one of the elite hitters in baseball.

Trea Turner fills the immediate void left by Frazier hitting F/A. In 330ish games since 2019 he's split around .320/.370/.530/.1000.

^^^ These are the guys worth giving big contracts to.

Also, I'd keep an eye on how the Indians and Pirates fair this year. It appears Jose Ramirez and Bryan Reynolds won't be moved this off season, but if both teams continue to struggle, they could be names to target at the deadline or '23 off season. Trade for em and give them a contract extension.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:21 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:56 pm

Bryant - Concerns over slowing down, injured in 2018 and 2020. No way it would be wise to give a 30 year old w. no position 7/$182.

Story - Coors risk was too great. We're talking a 200 point OPS dip on the road. Why give a guy with this much risk big money?

Correa - Injured in 2017, 2018, 2019 causing him to miss upwards of 180 games. Massive OPS dips in 2018 and 2020.

Freeman - Great player, but almost 33 years old. Would you give a near 33-year-old player a 6 year deal worth $162 million? Again, risky.

Castellanos - M's traded for Winker who is already not great defensively. Castellanos is on par w. Winker but right handed. Didn't need more OF/DH's.

Trea Turner and Aaron Judge are potential free agent targets next year and would fill real need.

I bet the M's let Haniger walk opening up a spot in Right for Judge who is a much better bat and defender than anyone listed above. He does have an injury history, but he's one of the elite hitters in baseball.

Trea Turner fills the immediate void left by Frazier hitting F/A. In 330ish games since 2019 he's split around .320/.370/.530/.1000.

Also, I'd keep an eye on how the Indians and Pirates fair this year. It appears Jose Ramirez and Bryan Reynolds won't be moved this off season, but if both teams continue to struggle, they could be names to target at the deadline or '23 off season. Trade for em and give them a contract extension.
So wait until NEXT OFFSEASON. We will spent HUGE! We promise! LOL
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:29 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:21 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:

Well, you have to consider whether it would have been wise to drop a lot of cash on the players in this class. I wasn't in love with any of them and aside from maybe Castellanos, they all got insane money and years given their history and ages.

I like Judge/Turner way more than anyone in the '22 F/A class.

They could extend Winker. They could make more trades and give those guys extensions. You don't necessarily need to sign free agents to increase payroll.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:32 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:29 pm
D-train wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:

Well, you have to consider whether it would have been wise to drop a lot of cash on the players in this class. I wasn't in love with any of them and aside from maybe Castellanos, they all got insane money and years given their history and ages.

They could extend Winker. They could make more trades and give those guys extensions. You don't necessarily need to sign free agents to increase payroll.
If you don't like Correa for 3 years which will likely be one or two years then you will NEVER sign another impact FA position player.
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:32 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
D-train wrote:

If you don't like Correa for 3 years which will likely be one or two years then you will NEVER sign another impact FA position player.
What were they going to do with Correa? He wasn't going to come to Seattle to play 2nd base. The M's weren't going to rock the boat with JP, whether you agree with that or not.

The Twins didn't have to convince him to move positions or even talk about the possibility.

I'm also not sure I'd give Correa $35 million a year given the fact he's the biggest injury risk in this class and dropped a .729 OPS in 2018 and a .709 OPS in 2020. I have a hard time believing that a guy who has only twice been an All Star and only once finished in the top-10 in MVP voting is worth that kind of money.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:03 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:39 pm
D-train wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:

What were they going to do with Correa? He wasn't going to come to Seattle to play 2nd base. The M's weren't going to rock the boat with JP, whether you agree with that or not.

The Twins didn't have to convince him to move positions or even talk about the possibility.

I'm also not sure I'd give Correa $35 million a year given the fact he's the biggest injury risk in this class and dropped a .729 OPS in 2018 and a .709 OPS in 2020. I have a hard time believing that a guy who has only twice been an All Star and only once finished in the top-10 in MVP voting is worth that kind of money.
Listen to the podcast and you will know how I feel about pinky promising JP SS. Well I guess those big spending big market Twins weren't concerned with giving CC $35M. So we have the same payroll we had 14 years ago and have a 21 year playoff drought but we don't want to upgrade from average players to elite because we are worried about spending too much and hurting players feelings. :|
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:29 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:03 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:39 pm
D-train wrote:

Listen to the podcast and you will know how I feel about pinky promising JP SS. Well I guess those big spending big market Twins weren't concerned with giving CC $35M. So we have the same payroll we had 14 years ago and have a 21 year playoff drought but we don't want to upgrade from average players to elite because we are worried about spending too much and hurting players feelings. :|
The Twins are in a different and sort of weird spot when compared us though.

They figured on being a contender in 2021 and bombed. They either had to rebuild or choose to throw cash at some players and see how it works out. They're praying it works because there isn't a really a true vision for the future with their team.

The M's are still in a place where 60% of the roster is cementing themselves in the league and I think they did a great job of adding some nice, non-committal pieces (Winker, Suarez) to compliment the young, rising talent.

Remember when I said that I thought the 2022 M's are a lot like the 2016 Astros? I think that when Julio, Kelenic, Raleigh, Gilbert, Kirby are all here and ready to take off, we'll see the M's make some BIG moves to move this thing forward (2023).

Also remember that the Astros didn't sign many big free agents. They traded for Cole, Verlander, Grienke, Gattis, McCann, Alvarez, Osuna, Pressly.

Their only expensive signings that didn't come from a trade or within were for Carlos Beltran and Michael Brantley.