The forum's poll for 2022 and why?

How content / discontent are you with the team as is to start the season? Select all that apply.

Ownership did all they could with the options they had.
No votes
Ownership sucks and they continue to be cheap bastards.
17%
Jerry Dipoto did the best he could under the circumstances.
10%
Jerry Dipoto is incompetent.
No votes
I believe that top free agents do not want to come to Seattle.
17%
I like the team as it is and would not have made any other moves.
No votes
I like the team but would have added at least one more infield bat.
14%
I like the team but would have added at least one more outfield bat.
7%
I like the team but would have added at least another reliever.
12%
I like the team but would have added at least another TOR pitcher.
22%

Total votes: 69

seattlefan-daBronx

The forum's poll for 2022 and why?

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:26 pm

Alright. Give us your two cents on the offseason to date and why? You can select all the options that apply but only vote once.

Personally.
I think ownership is content with making profits and if the team has success well hell we'll cash in on that too.
Jerry did the best he could to court big time free agents but most of them don't want to play for a loser or with a bunch of unproven rookies.
Maybe we need a Dominican/Spanish GM now?
With the news on Sadler I would argue we need another proven left in the pen.
With the trade Jerry made I think we have plenty of infielders but we could've used another outfield power bat.
I don't trust the comeback of Lewis and have my doubts about JK. Julio for now will stay down by the schoolyard.
Just my two cents for what that's worth. :D
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

Mesully11

Re: The forum's poll for 2022 and why?

Post by Mesully11 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:07 pm

I think that the Mather speech in Bellevue and Kyle Seager's resentful words from last year soured efforts to bring free agents here at least to some degree.
I am amazed at the contract Kris Bryant got!!! I suspect the front office in Seattle won't do business with Boras?

It's still not over. There should be at least $50 million available between now and the trade deadline, hopefully.

I think this team has improved, the Astros and A's have declined, but the Angels and Rangers have improved also.

I don't trust ownership to be able to hire a better GM than DiPoto based on past history.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:32 pm

Kind of a big gap between Dipoto being incompetent and doing the best that can be done under the circumstances, so i chose neither. Otherwise, it's a good poll.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:47 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:32 pm
Kind of a big gap between Dipoto being incompetent and doing the best that can be done under the circumstances, so i chose neither. Otherwise, it's a good poll.
What at you talking about? We have to take extreme opinions in everything. There is no middle ground. There is no Grey area. There is no fence sitting. Pick a side and take an extreme on that side, this is 2022!
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:55 pm

:lol: Sure, although now after further thought (and re-reading the wording) i think both might be true. Jerry did the best he could and is incompetent.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:59 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:55 pm
:lol: Sure, although now after further thought (and re-reading the wording) i think both might be true. Jerry did the best he could and is incompetent.
Taking both extremes, not sure if it's allowed, but I like it.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:36 pm

The choices are far right or far left no in between. Could he have done more? yes, did he want to spend the money or owner permission to spend the money on the large contracts?,we don’t know. An owner like Cohen doesn’t care what the cost is and our owners obviously do care.

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:41 pm

Stanton is a cheap lying bastard

We could easily go far beyond the luxury tax threshold and still be profitable. We are currently 109M below the threshold. To give you an idea how fucking far below that means.....

For instance
We could have signed
Bryant
Correa
Seiya
Schwarber

To the contracts they signed and still be 15M under

Not suggesting they sign all of them but really crazy that we don’t go get what and who we need

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:07 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:41 pm

We could easily go far beyond the luxury tax threshold and still be profitable. We are currently 109M below the threshold. To give you an idea how fucking far below that means.....

For instance
We could have signed
Bryant
Correa
Seiya
Schwarber

Not suggesting they sign all of them but really crazy that we don’t go get what and who we need
Don't forget about the $250M they save by tanking during the rebuild from 2019-22. All that went into a piggy bank that some how turned up missing when JD went to break it open in October. :shock: When I was a bank teller I used to walk across the lobby with two bag with $40k in each bag to refill the cash machines at 3rd and Pine. TD Seattle. You would need 6,250 of those bags to carry $250 million.
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:27 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:07 pm
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:41 pm

For instance
We could have signed
Bryant
Correa
Seiya
Schwarber

Don't forget about the $250M they save by tanking during the rebuild from 2019-22. All that went into a piggy bank that some how turned up missing when JD went to break it open in October. :shock: When I was a bank teller I used to walk across the lobby with two bag with $40k in each bag to refill the cash machines at 3rd and Pine. TD Seattle. You would need 6,250 of those bags to carry $250 million.
Great point. I remember hearing we could use that later