Who was your first baseball hero.. and why

Marinerjim11

Who was your first baseball hero.. and why

Post by Marinerjim11 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:00 am

Ive wanted to start this kind of thread for a while and now that I'm off for the next couple weeks I thought it would be fun.

My first baseball hero wasn't a Mariner in fact it was Ryne Sandberg. In 1983 my folks took me to a game at Wrigley and because my dad worked at Sears the big bosses always had great seats there, anyways my folks who loved baseball took me to the game and a rookie 3rd baseman named Ryne Sandberg handed me a foul ball. After that even after I became a Mariner fan I would always grab a Ryne Sandberg card when one looked good to me and I still have most of that collection.

I was really happy when I saw Ryno get in and the only recently did I have that same feeling again when I saw Edgar make it in.

IStillLoveTheMs

Re: Who was your first baseball hero.. and why

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:36 am

A-Rod. I wore no. 3 in every sport because of him. When I wasn't pitching, it was SS or bust.

He gets a bad rep, but there's no denying he's one of the most talented guys to ever play the game... and he made a kid's dream come true. In '96 he signed a rookie card for me at a game at the Kingdome and I was so excited that I lost my glove in the sea of people. He stopped signing for a second, told everyone to back up, and grabbed my glove for me at the bottom of the pile.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:58 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:36 am
A-Rod. I wore no. 3 in every sport because of him. When I wasn't pitching, it was SS or bust.

He gets a bad rep, but there's no denying he's one of the most talented guys to ever play the game... and he made a kid's dream come true. In '96 he signed a rookie card for me at a game at the Kingdome and I was so excited that I lost my glove in the sea of people. He stopped signing for a second, told everyone to back up, and grabbed my glove for me at the bottom of the pile.
I bet you never thought you would have something in common with J-Lo. :)
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:32 pm

For Me it Was Alvin Davis. No one in my family was really a baseball fan. I discovered the sport myself listening to the radio at night. AD was my guy probably just because everyone else on the team in 1985 sucked.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:54 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:32 pm
For Me it Was Alvin Davis. No one in my family was really a baseball fan. I discovered the sport myself listening to the radio at night. AD was my guy probably just because everyone else on the team in 1985 sucked.
I was at his first ever game when he hit the three run bomb.

For me it was probably Leroy Stanton RIP.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:58 pm

you mean 1984?...Alvin was their first legitimate star, don't call him "Mr Mariner for nothing, his winning ROY was a big deal at the time, that was a special season. He played one game at AAA and was called up because Phelps got injured, set a record for reaching base 47 straight times to begin a career.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:10 pm

I watched a lot of baseball on TV as a kid, and back then the Mariners were almost never on. What I knew about the Mariners I read in the program from the game my parents would take me to every year or so. I grew up a Dodger fan because watching the World Series I always wanted them to beat the Yankees! So, my first Hero was probably Dusty Baker.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:14 pm

in terms of baseball in general?...Reggie...Reggie...Reggie, named my cat Reggie Jackson

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:17 pm

If any soul here is unaware of my hero, your stitches have all come loose and the cover to your baseball has fallen into your oatmeal. :lol:
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:25 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:10 pm
I watched a lot of baseball on TV as a kid, and back then the Mariners were almost never on. What I knew about the Mariners I read in the program from the game my parents would take me to every year or so. I grew up a Dodger fan because watching the World Series I always wanted them to beat the Yankees! So, my first Hero was probably Dusty Baker.
They were on TV so rarely I was pissed when Mt. St. Helens blew because they cut away the game to show coverage. I couldn't believe they would do that. lol
dt