Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

D-train

Re: Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:22 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:39 pm
How does Kelenic head to AAA and immediately have like 5 hits in 2 games?

It's all mental for the kid. There's just no way the pitching he's facing in AAA is that much different.
I posted this earlier but MLB breaking pitchers are a whole another level above AAA breaking pitches.

AAA pitchers are just Filler. I mean look at the Rainiers starters. Just horrid.

https://www.milb.com/tacoma/stats/pitch ... erPool=ALL

People keep talking about JK figuring it out. I just don't think he has the physical ability to hit major league breaking balls and never will. It would be like me "figuring out" how to dunk a basketball or run a 4.3 40 yard dash. It is literally impossible. AAA breaking balls are his max capability.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:45 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:22 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:

It's all mental for the kid. There's just no way the pitching he's facing in AAA is that much different.
I posted this earlier but MLB breaking pitchers are a whole another level above AAA breaking pitches.

AAA pitchers are just Filler. I mean look at the Rainiers starters. Just horrid.

People keep talking about JK figuring it out. I just don't think he has the physical ability to hit major league breaking balls and never will. It would be like me "figuring out" how to dunk a basketball or run a 4.3 40 yard dash. It is literally impossible. AAA breaking balls are his max capability.
Actually, he hit major league breaking balls last year for a .161 average. That's not awesome, but if he could have maintained that it would have been a baseline to build off of. But this year, he completely fell off the table and his mlb average vs. breaking pitches fell to .053, which obviously can't work at all.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's better to reserve judgement for now on JK. He has options and there's no hurry. I have a hard time believing that he ultimately won't hit at least as well as Cal Raleigh or JP Crawford, and if he can do that his other tools will make him pretty valuable for some team in this league.

I think the odds are greater than 50% that he'll get traded in the offseason.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:59 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:45 pm
D-train wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:

Actually, he hit major league breaking balls last year for a .161 average. That's not awesome, but if he could have maintained that it would have been a baseline to build off of. But this year, he completely fell off the table and his mlb average vs. breaking pitches fell to .053, which obviously can't work at all.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's better to reserve judgement for now on JK. He has options and there's no hurry. I have a hard time believing that he ultimately won't hit at least as well as Cal Raleigh or JP Crawford, and if he can do that his other tools will make him pretty valuable for some team in this league.

I think the odds are greater than 50% that he'll get traded in the offseason.
Agree that he will be traded. Maybe the change of scenery will do the trick. Can't wait to see the return if we do trade him I think his fans will lose it due to how underwhelming it will be.
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:18 pm

D-train wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:

Grabbing Upton as a potential callup was telling. Marmolejos and Bauers could hit AAA pitching.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:32 pm

ice99 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:18 pm
D-train wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:

Grabbing Upton as a potential callup was telling. Marmolejos and Bauers could hit AAA pitching.
Yeah Marmolejos was the guy that really got me thinking about it. Destroyed AAA pitching FAR more than JK and STILL couldn't hit big league pitching.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:55 pm

Bob Perez Jr. and Woo killing it in Everett.

https://www.milb.com/gameday/aquasox-vs ... ame=674771
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:11 pm

Hancock will be ready to compete for a spot in the rotation this Spring. Bye Marco.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:11 pm
Hancock will be ready to compete for a spot in the rotation this Spring. Bye Marco.
I say move Marco and let Brash have a chance at starter.

Castillo
Ray
Gilbert
Kirby

Brash/ Hancock/ Dollard/ Miller that's your 5th starter/Depth for 2023. Sign a guy to be the long relief that can be a depth starter if Flexen Opts out, or you can trade him.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:15 pm

Hancock now at 70 innings with 5 weeks left in the season. Even if he only starts about once a week and 6 innings a start he will be right at 100 IPs so will be able to go ~130 IPs next season. Very easy to manage that given he will be the 5th starter.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:17 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:14 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:11 pm
I say move Marco and let Brash have a chance at starter.

Castillo
Ray
Gilbert
Kirby

Brash/ Hancock/ Dollard/ Miller that's your 5th starter/Depth for 2023. Sign a guy to be the long relief that can be a depth starter if Flexen Opts out, or you can trade him.
Teams don't seem to want to waste a roster spot on a long reliever these days. I guess I don't know for sure about other teams but Jerry definitely doesn't.
dt