Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

ice99

Re: Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

Post by ice99 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:38 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:00 pm
PIs Prospects of the Year. Miller with Prelander as Runner up and Ford with Clase as runner up. Not surprising, JC weighs tools far higher than current performance. He started out being very effusive with his praise of Ford but he then dialed it back to an extent that surprised me.
I’ve seen him show high-level footwork and throwing technique gunning down baserunners, though as expected there are some inconsistencies there. He’s a 60 runner now, with above-average quickness, but I don’t project a lot of quick-twitch to make a transition to second base an easy one, should the club move him out from behind the dosh to accomodate a quicker path to the majors.

Ford’s hard-hit rate of 27% this season is below the upper-echelon among prospects at his level, but he rarely makes weak contact — 12.5% — and uses the entire field with at least doubles power from line to line.

My best projection on Ford defensively is he’ll develop into at least an average catcher, but if his bat stays far ahead of his glove and profiles well at other positions I expect the club will ship him out onto the grass, rather than the dirt, to make for a smoother and higher probabiluty transition.

Second base has been mentioned a lot, but unless that move is made relatively soon I fear it’s just another spot on the diamond that could slow his bat’s arrival. Having said that, to date his bat hasn’t quite suggested elite status, so we may be another year or more away from such a decision.

Ford is a very good prospect, but has yet to display elite production. It may just be a matter of time, however, since he grades out very well in strike zone judgment and scouts love the swing path.
Given he is a good but not elite hitter I see zero reason to move him from catcher where he would be fine with a 100 OPS+

https://prospectinsider.com/mariners-pr ... aft-picks/
That reminds me, Prelander is rule 5 eligible, he'll probably be protected.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:41 pm

ice99 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:38 pm
D-train wrote:
PIs Prospects of the Year. Miller with Prelander as Runner up and Ford with Clase as runner up. Not surprising, JC weighs tools far higher than current performance. He started out being very effusive with his praise of Ford but he then dialed it back to an extent that surprised me.
I’ve seen him show high-level footwork and throwing technique gunning down baserunners, though as expected there are some inconsistencies there. He’s a 60 runner now, with above-average quickness, but I don’t project a lot of quick-twitch to make a transition to second base an easy one, should the club move him out from behind the dosh to accomodate a quicker path to the majors.

Ford’s hard-hit rate of 27% this season is below the upper-echelon among prospects at his level, but he rarely makes weak contact — 12.5% — and uses the entire field with at least doubles power from line to line.

My best projection on Ford defensively is he’ll develop into at least an average catcher, but if his bat stays far ahead of his glove and profiles well at other positions I expect the club will ship him out onto the grass, rather than the dirt, to make for a smoother and higher probabiluty transition.

Second base has been mentioned a lot, but unless that move is made relatively soon I fear it’s just another spot on the diamond that could slow his bat’s arrival. Having said that, to date his bat hasn’t quite suggested elite status, so we may be another year or more away from such a decision.

Ford is a very good prospect, but has yet to display elite production. It may just be a matter of time, however, since he grades out very well in strike zone judgment and scouts love the swing path.
Given he is a good but not elite hitter I see zero reason to move him from catcher where he would be fine with a 100 OPS+

Yeah, seems to be a lock. Would be great if you did a Rule V eligible and projection of who will and won't be protected thread at some point. Thanks!
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:42 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:41 pm
ice99 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:38 pm
D-train wrote:

Yeah, seems to be a lock. Would be great if you did a Rule V eligible and projection of who will and won't be protected thread at some point. Thanks!
I think Rocky had that down pat, backwards and forward. I remember having a thread where we were talking about Ray Kerr being protected or not, with AT on it too.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:46 pm

dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:46 pm
I know he's coming up in the world as sort of a sleeper, late-bloomer type prospect and good for him. But every video clip I see of him swinging the bat, the bat looks slow to me. I know that's a non-scientific, naked-eye evaluation, but damn that swing just does not look like it has major league bat speed, at all. Like, not even close.

If anyone disagrees, please tell me I'm wrong. But watch the clip first please.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:59 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:22 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:46 pm
I know he's coming up in the world as sort of a sleeper, late-bloomer type prospect and good for him. But every video clip I see of him swinging the bat, the bat looks slow to me. I know that's a non-scientific, naked-eye evaluation, but damn that swing just does not look like it has major league bat speed, at all. Like, not even close.

If anyone disagrees, please tell me I'm wrong. But watch the clip first please.
I have no i idea what people mean with bat speed, but it looks like the bat comes through plenty quickly. Looks like the hands/arms may not be moving as much, but seems the bat is moving plenty quick
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:00 am

The guy is smart

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:16 pm

Another HR for slow bat speed guy. ;) .281/1.051 since his promotion. Looking forward to watching him in person in ST.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:28 pm

dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:34 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:28 pm
Isaiah Campbell is going to be a top 4-5 reliever by the end of next year.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez