Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

D-train

Re: Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:42 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:16 pm
Yes. Amazing. Great Britain, the team I didn't know we had have qualified for the main tournament of the World Baseball Classic. A victory over Spain 10-9 (10) sees them through.

There will be street parties and open-top bus parades through London.

Ford hit his 3rd home run of the event when he led off in the first. He finished the 3 games with .455 AVG and a 1.952 OPS.

Spain led 8-3 at one stage when Marte hit his first HR of the event. He's batting .462 with 1.302 OPS. Spain can still go through in a playoff tonight

The prize for qualifying, I hear you not asking? A trip to Taiwan to face Taipei, Netherlands, Cuba and Italy.

"We are already looking for flights and tickets," said no-one in the UK when they found out this information.
And you call yourself a Baseball fan!??!?!?!? :lol:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:16 pm
Yes. Amazing. Great Britain, the team I didn't know we had have qualified for the main tournament of the World Baseball Classic. A victory over Spain 10-9 (10) sees them through.

There will be street parties and open-top bus parades through London.

Ford hit his 3rd home run of the event when he led off in the first. He finished the 3 games with .455 AVG and a 1.952 OPS.

Spain led 8-3 at one stage when Marte hit his first HR of the event. He's batting .462 with 1.302 OPS. Spain can still go through in a playoff tonight

The prize for qualifying, I hear you not asking? A trip to Taiwan to face Taipei, Netherlands, Cuba and Italy.

"We are already looking for flights and tickets," said no-one in the UK when they found out this information.
Any other notables on the ball club?
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:34 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 pm

I thought I heard Rowland Smith say Brad Marcelino is there for GB as hitting coach.

He’s a British baseball legend. Apparently :? :?

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:43 pm

This is a great experience for Harry Ford. I think playing in events like this, where winning and losing really matters, can be a real advantage in development. It's more than just getting an extra week or two of AB's.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:47 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:43 pm
This is a great experience for Harry Ford. I think playing in events like this, where winning and losing really matters, can be a real advantage in development. It's more than just getting an extra week or two of AB's.
Julio got the same experience last summer
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:51 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:47 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:43 pm
Julio got the same experience last summer
Yeah, I was thinking about that.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:53 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:34 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 pm

I thought I heard Rowland Smith say Brad Marcelino is there for GB as hitting coach.

He’s a British baseball legend. Apparently :? :?
Yeah I can tell by his British surname. :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:00 pm

PIs Prospects of the Year. Miller with Prelander as Runner up and Ford with Clase as runner up. Not surprising, JC weighs tools far higher than current performance. He started out being very effusive with his praise of Ford but he then dialed it back to an extent that surprised me.
I’ve seen him show high-level footwork and throwing technique gunning down baserunners, though as expected there are some inconsistencies there. He’s a 60 runner now, with above-average quickness, but I don’t project a lot of quick-twitch to make a transition to second base an easy one, should the club move him out from behind the dosh to accomodate a quicker path to the majors.

Ford’s hard-hit rate of 27% this season is below the upper-echelon among prospects at his level, but he rarely makes weak contact — 12.5% — and uses the entire field with at least doubles power from line to line.

My best projection on Ford defensively is he’ll develop into at least an average catcher, but if his bat stays far ahead of his glove and profiles well at other positions I expect the club will ship him out onto the grass, rather than the dirt, to make for a smoother and higher probabiluty transition.

Second base has been mentioned a lot, but unless that move is made relatively soon I fear it’s just another spot on the diamond that could slow his bat’s arrival. Having said that, to date his bat hasn’t quite suggested elite status, so we may be another year or more away from such a decision.

Ford is a very good prospect, but has yet to display elite production. It may just be a matter of time, however, since he grades out very well in strike zone judgment and scouts love the swing path.
Given he is a good but not elite hitter I see zero reason to move him from catcher where he would be fine with a 100 OPS+

https://prospectinsider.com/mariners-pr ... aft-picks/
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:19 pm

JK's been called up again. I've been watching his improvement in AAA, which is real, but I also feel like he's just sort of gotten to where he needs to be in the last few weeks and I wonder how well the new approach has set in. We will see.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:23 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:19 pm
JK's been called up again. I've been watching his improvement in AAA, which is real, but I also feel like he's just sort of gotten to where he needs to be in the last few weeks and I wonder how well the new approach has set in. We will see.
His stroke has looked good. We will see if his struggles were due to his swing or his hand eye maxing out with AAA breaking stuff.
dt