Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

Juliooooo

Re: Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:33 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:25 pm
Way too small a sample for young but if he can come close to that line which is massively better than GG and given only 5 months older and as you mention a SS vs. OFer as you mention then he should be rated far higher eventually.
I think G2 is going to kill it though.

And I'm never going to back down on the G2 nickname. Never!!!

I'm really intrigued by Arroyo. He's one to keep an eye on. Curious if they move his position now, or wait. Like I pointed out, Celestin is Arizona SS, Young is Modesto SS. Where does Arroyo fit, and where do they start him? Probably split time with Celestin, and ease in Celestin slowly in Arizona is my guess.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:43 am

Some video on Alberto that for some reason just popped into my feed. It's over a year old and from Modesto but still kind of interesting. The bat speed looks real. The swing is geared more for contact than power, which you can see more easily at the end when they replay one of his swings in slow motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hm88ntlUSg

Edited to add another link. This one is more recent, from the 2022 AFL. He's kind of pudgy in the middle, but you can also see the strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhIno6VsSDw

Sorry, editing again. Just want to say that you can see here why they had high hopes for him and had him on the 40. There's some talent, for sure.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:16 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:43 am
Some video on Alberto that for some reason just popped into my feed. It's over a year old and from Modesto but still kind of interesting. The bat speed looks real. The swing is geared more for contact than power, which you can see more easily at the end when they replay one of his swings in slow motion.

Edited to add another link. This one is more recent, from the 2022 AFL. He's kind of pudgy in the middle, but you can also see the strength.

Sorry, editing again. Just want to say that you can see here why they had high hopes for him and had him on the 40. There's some talent, for sure.
I guess not enough to prevent Jerry from kicking him off for another trash RP.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:55 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:16 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:43 am

I guess not enough to prevent Jerry from kicking him off for another trash RP.
Well yeah, but that's a no-brainer really and I haven't heard yet that Alberto's been claimed so he'll likely still be part of the organization for 2023. Not that I think it matters all that much, but you never know and he's still fairly young. If he sticks in the org, I assume he'll be ticketed to repeat Everett, which hopefully will be motivation for him.

I just thought the video was kind of interesting. I really like looking at hitters from the open-side like that, and I was surprised at how quick the bat looked, though that sort of thing can be deceptive to the naked eye.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:18 pm

From his 40 in 25 article
The good news is, the fact that he has had such success with a somewhat-wonky swing shows his exceptional timing and ball vision skills. If he can pair those abilities with a more efficient, compact swing, he could really unlock another gear of his hit tool. It would be reasonable to see his hit tool jump to the 60/65 range and his power tool into the 55/60 range.

For players without prospect pedigree, it often can take more than one breakout season to jump them into the conversation of being an everyday or impact player. I think there’s one more in the tank for Alberto Rodríguez. If he’s able to tap into it, watch for him to jump into the upper tier of Mariners prospect lists. He should reach the top 5 on the merit of promotions above him, and a great season with adjustments that will help him succeed at higher levels could see him jump as high as a top 3 spot. Expect to see him on next year’s Top-100 lists this time next year.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:43 pm

ARod seemed to improve after a rough start, then over the last 3 weeks he fell off a cliff and hit .182/.289/.608. Kinda cherry picked stats, but from mid May through mid Aug he hit .295/.368/.801. He definitely still has some potential. He just needs to cut the K rate down a bit, and tap into more power.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:47 am

dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:33 pm

Great article on M's draft pick Aston Izzi. Here's just a sample of the interview.

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2022/08 ... hton-izzi/
Attachments
Izzi-0x0_c.jpeg
Screenshot_20230123_083235_Chrome.jpg

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:42 pm

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:43 pm

Scouts On Jo Adell, Jarred Kelenic And Other Graduated Prospects Yet To Establish Themselves
dt