Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

Donn Beach

Re: Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:46 am

So let me get this straight, Ford is our top prospect. He is somewhat marginal at catcher. He is viewed as moving slowly through the system. It sounds like it help to learn other positions. But they have him dhing half the time? Seriously? Seems odd to me, not going to call them idiots because they know more about it than I do.

Which gets us to them being idiots for drafting him in the first place, I mean they could have grabbed Kahlil Watson as he passed on his way down. Who by the way has now dropped out of the top 100.

How about a "what's wrong with Kahlil Watson' article.
Hitting 226/.290/.374 in his last 243 PA when the article was posted.

36.9 % strikeout rate, ouch
. The first issue that Kahlil Watson clearly has is his 36.9% strikeout rate that is a major issue. The 7.5% BB% isn’t much promising either. The strikeouts are clearly his biggest problem at the moment. He needs to get more patient and stop swinging at everything. It’s possible that at 19 he also feels overwhelmed. A big thing thatI also noticed is that he has a 43.3% GB% that dramatically increased from his 14.3% number from earlier.
Maybe ML GMs know more than guys running internet prospect ranking sites

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:56 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:46 am
So let me get this straight, Ford is our top prospect. He is somewhat marginal at catcher. He is viewed as moving slowly through the system. It sounds like it help to learn other positions. But they have him dhing half the time? Seriously? Seems odd to me, not going to call them idiots because they know more about it than I do.

Which gets us to them being idiots for drafting him in the first place, I mean they could have grabbed Kahlil Watson as he passed on his way down. Who by the way has now dropped out of the top 100.

. The first issue that Kahlil Watson clearly has is his 36.9% strikeout rate that is a major issue. The 7.5% BB% isn’t much promising either. The strikeouts are clearly his biggest problem at the moment. He needs to get more patient and stop swinging at everything. It’s possible that at 19 he also feels overwhelmed. A big thing thatI also noticed is that he has a 43.3% GB% that dramatically increased from his 14.3% number from earlier.
He's DHing a lot this last season because he was dealing with injuries. They also want him to get AB while he gets rest from catching. He's not going to be moved to SS, and it wouldn't take a long time if they decided to move him to the OF.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:02 am

50% is resting every other day, seems like a lot of resting

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:56 am

They also have Freuddy Batista at Modesto. He's unranked as a prospect, but I think they like him quite a lot as a catcher, and so they have to give him some of the starts. I wonder what they'll do next year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:44 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:46 am

Yeah I have to eat big time crow on that one. :oops:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:48 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:02 am
50% is resting every other day, seems like a lot of resting
They are so absurdly obsessed with resting World class athletes in their 20s it boggles the mind. Have they never heard of Cal Ripken Juninor's HOF 96 WAR career??? And as far as I know he can still walk and talk at 62 years old. Oh but it was much easier to play baseball back in the day right? :roll: :roll: :roll:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:51 am

This is even more amazing. Didn't miss an INNING for over 5 seasons...
From June 5, 1982 to September 14, 1987, Ripken played 8,264 consecutive innings, which is believed to be a record, although not one that is officially kept by MLB. The second-longest streak known to have occurred is 5,152 consecutive innings by George Pinkney from 1885 to 1890.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:26 pm

It's nice of Watson to clear the air between him and Ford. I would have expected him to be having a fairly good career at this point.

Terms of dhing Ford, I'm not second guessing it, just seems odd. I don't know if it has anything to do with resting him. Are they concentrating on his hitting? Wondering if dhing doesn't have the negative connotation it once had

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:22 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:26 pm
It's nice of Watson to clear the air between him and Ford. I would have expected him to be having a fairly good career at this point.

Terms of dhing Ford, I'm not second guessing it, just seems odd. I don't know if it has anything to do with resting him. Are they concentrating on his hitting? Wondering if dhing doesn't have the negative connotation it once had
It is beyond ironic given all the hype is around his athleticism...
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:34 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:26 pm

Not in the minors. They just want him getting as many AB as possible right now.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez