Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

Juliooooo

Re: Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:23 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:37 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:24 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:09 pm
Rizzo has been on fire lately. Hit his 12th HR and has his OPS up to .800.
Over his last 16 games .355/.406/1.196 with 8 HR.

He was a forgotten prospect for a while. He's slowly starting to develop some pop to his bat.
Just in time! I think this would have been his last season if he finished it like he started it.

btw Sorry for being so negative at times. Will try to be more positive.
You are a good man. It's just exhausting to hear all the negativity. I get the frustration, but I still see a lot of potential in this team. Almost everything has gone wrong.

Haniger out 2 months. Lewis only able to play about 5 games. Murphy hurt. Out of Kelenic, Toro, Trammell, Raleigh, Torrens, Moore, Trammell is the only one to look like a decent MLB hitter (although Raleigh showing signs). Most of the bullpen regressed, and Giles, Swanson, Sadler injuries really hurt the bullpen. Winker, Frazier, Ray all way worse than anyone could have predicted.

Things that have gone right. JP, France, Julio, Gilbert, Kirby, Geno. End list.

It's been a strong of bad luck, and bad breaks. It's getting to the point of where the Mariners will probably need to look to next year if they don't turn it around.

I get the frustration of not having the playoffs for 20 years, but I don't look at that at all. What happened 15 years ago should in no way ager any decision making. Selling out for a wild card playoff game when you aren't a contender gets you trades like Adam Lind, and has you Giving up on Chris Taylor after 1 bad half season with 100 AB.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:00 pm

Yeah the luck has been horrid but we can't yell at bad luck so Jerry gets it. ;)
dt

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:14 pm

Old adage if it wasn’t for bad luck I would have none at all

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:32 pm

desbcoach wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:14 pm
Old adage if it wasn’t for bad luck I would have none at all
Everything went right for them last year, and everything went wrong this year. Still have about 100 games left this year. Need to inch closer to .500. Next 18 games are against LAA, Oak and Bal with 12 of those at home. 12/18 gets them to 40-41 at the midpoint of the season with Haniger hopefully coming back soon. If they don't win at least 10-11, they should consider selling Frazier, Flexen, Romo, Giles (if healthy).
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Mesully11

Post by Mesully11 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:49 pm

I wonder what the NY Mets would give us for Winker? He loves to play there and I would be interested in seeing how the fans would act.

It's getting close to selling time unless they go on a winning streak soon.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:51 pm

Epic first week for 17 yo Montes:

https://www.milb.com/player/lazaro-montes-703155
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:23 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:51 pm

He the one that they compare to Alvarez? Hopefully he rakes in DSL and they put him straight into Modesto next season with Gonzales, Axel Sanchez, Feliz next year. Could be a really good group of players. Chances are he will play in DSL all year and the rookie league next year. They seem to be finding talent in the international pool with hitters though.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:02 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:23 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:51 pm

He the one that they compare to Alvarez? Hopefully he rakes in DSL and they put him straight into Modesto next season with Gonzales, Axel Sanchez, Feliz next year. Could be a really good group of players. Chances are he will play in DSL all year and the rookie league next year. They seem to be finding talent in the international pool with hitters though.
Works for me. Sign int hitters and draft college pitchers. Go with your strengths.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:54 pm

By Corey Brock
Jun 14, 2022

Save Article
MODESTO, Calif. — The shortstop has an arm, though chances are you’ll never get to see it unless you show up hours before a Modesto Nuts game and subject yourself to the blistering sun to watch the team work out at John Thurman Field.

There, out on the outfield grass, you might see Nuts shortstop Edwin Arroyo show off his arm — but not his right one. When he wasn’t playing shortstop as a teenager, Arroyo — who is ambidextrous — pitched left-handed and he isn’t shy about showing anyone who wants to see.

“You should see Edwin … tossing the ball around in the outfield,” said Nuts manager Austin Knight. “It’s impressive.”

Make no mistake, though, the Mariners are far more interested in Arroyo’s right arm, his range and, of course, his bat, all three of which have shown up in a big way for the Nuts this season.

In fact, there might not be another position player in the organization — or player period — who has seen his stock rise as fast as Arroyo’s has this season.

Heading into Tuesday’s game at home against Lake Elsinore, Arroyo ranks seventh in the California League in batting average (.317). He has the 12th-most hits (69) of any player in the minor leagues, which is quite a feat considering he’s 18 — he turns 19 on Aug. 25 — and one of the youngest players in the league.

A switch-hitter, Arroyo had 10 home runs and has knocked in 43 runs with nine steals for the Nuts (27-30). He has a wRC+ of 138 and while he has a 22 percent strikeout rate, that’s not awful for a player so young who is routinely facing more experienced pitchers nearly every night.

To be sure, Arroyo is turning a lot of heads this season in Modesto.

“I made a comment the other day to one of my buddies back home, saying I think our shortstop is the best player right now in all of minor-league baseball,” Knight said. “It’s the hitting … but he’s making the routine play instinctually, high-level plays at shortstop, and he runs hard and he’s unafraid on the bases.”

There isn’t just a belief within the organization that Arroyo will remain at shortstop, but that his bat will continue to be a factor from each side of the plate as he matures. He’s hitting .292 this season against left-handed pitching and .324 against right-handed pitching.

“I’ve pretty much been a switch-hitter my whole life,” Arroyo said.

Arroyo comes from good bloodlines, as his father, also named Edwin, played professionally in Puerto Rico. The elder Arroyo then worked on coaching his son. The two are close and talk every day. When Arroyo signed with the Mariners last summer, he and his family came to T-Mobile Park and dad made a stop in the team store.

“(Edwin Sr.) was just as excited to go to the team store as Edwin was,” said Scott Hunter, the Mariners’ amateur scouting director. “He looks like he can still play.”

The Mariners knew they were getting a sure-handed shortstop with good range and a strong throwing arm when they selected Arroyo in the second round of the 2021 draft. The only question was if his bat would catch up to his defense. He hit just .211 in his professional debut last summer in the Arizona Complex League.

This season, though, Arroyo started hitting right out of the chute and was named the organization’s position player of the month for April when he hit .288. In May, he raised the bar, hitting .314. He’s hitting .372 in 10 games this month. Professional baseball, it seems, suits Arroyo well.

“Honestly, I’ve been waiting for this moment my entire life, I’ve been working for this,” he said. “It’s a long season, but this feels good. I’m just going to keep doing my job and helping the team and try to become a better player.”

Even if that means his pitching days are officially over.

“I really liked pitching, and it was a good experience for me,” Arroyo said. “Whenever (former teams) asked me to pitch, I would never say no. I can get a little wild sometimes, but it’s always fun. But I like hitting more.”
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:54 am

Harry Ford 4-5 with a HR. Bat is heating up.