Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

D-train

Re: Mariners minors. Thread for interesting news and stats.

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:45 pm

dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:40 pm

An early amateur scouting report on Bryce Miller:

https://www.marinertalk.com/viewtopic.p ... ro#p180558

:)

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:13 pm

If they are going to go with JK 70% of the time in LF then why not Miller as the 5th starter...
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:28 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:13 pm
If they are going to go with JK 70% of the time in LF then why not Miller as the 5th starter...
Because nobody wants González or Flexen?
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:50 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:28 am
D-train wrote:
Miller may retain more value as a trade chip by staying in the minors. This could be important if neither JK nor Trammell are cutting it and you need to make a move.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:45 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:50 am
Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:
Miller may retain more value as a trade chip by staying in the minors. This could be important if neither JK nor Trammell are cutting it and you need to make a move.
Maybe. I think they would trade forced or Gonzales if there were any takers. Neither are that valuable as relievers, and they don’t have a spot for both to start. I wish they would trade both honestly.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:02 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:
So a money decision instead of a baseball decision.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:07 pm

Yup! But then, many organizations do the same thing. Maybe, for once, we'll get lucky and Marco will need Tommy John? That would make Flexen more valuable.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:09 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:45 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:50 am
Juliooooo wrote:

Maybe. I think they would trade forced or Gonzales if there were any takers. Neither are that valuable as relievers, and they don’t have a spot for both to start. I wish they would trade both honestly.
I assume you mean "Flexen or Gonzales". The problem is that neither will get you the kind of player you'll need if LF turns out to be a big gaping hole like it very well could be. But Miller, if he comes out of the gate at AA and dominates, will likely jump to the top of the list of pitching prospects. He's already being talked about; it's only his lack of draft pedigree that's keeping his prospect status in check right now. But 8 strong weeks at AA could change that.

Of course, 8 strong weeks in MLB would do even more for his prospect status, probably. But there's some risk there, much more of a chance of two or three bad innings marring an otherwise strong record. Also, even if he pitches really well at MLB, there's simply more scrutiny and statcast will be there to record movement and location of every single pitch he throws. It's also likely that if he makes the team and does well, the front office is less likely to want to trade him, which would be a good thing, but then Hancock becomes your main trade chip and he may not have the same value. Or there's more pressure to include Brash in a deal.