So how are all those bats we wanted doing??

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: So how are all those bats we wanted doing??

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:12 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:06 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:00 am
I think Jerry is here for a few more years, but will ultimately move on. I think the ideal scenario for him would be several years in a row of postseason appearances that he can then parlay into a President OR CEO role in NY, Boston, or Chicago. I doubt it's about money. I see it as more about status and ego with him.
You know he is currently president of baseball operations. I think he was given that title to block it from being offered by another organization
Jerry the teflon GM.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:37 am

Thinking about it, Dipoto being president now, it had been suggested he has much more authority over the budget. Maybe it was dipoto that was making the FA decisions

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:49 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:19 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:43 am
Suzuki should have been in our pockets. Best player in Japan, the legacy of his last name, the extra excitement he would have brought. But either ownership went cheapo and gambled on Haniger/JK/K-Rod/Lewis, or Ichiro is telling ownership not to sign Japanese stars who could eclipse him. Ohtani should have been in our pockets too.
I think probably they looked at the roster and saw a lot of right-handed corner outfield types with a decision pending soon on whether to extend Haniger, and so they didn't pursue quite as hard as they probably should have.
Basically we have ONE RH corner OFer type and he is currently on Death's door with Covid and even when he isn't they don't think he can stand in the OF 77 minutes a night for more than two nights in a row without needing a day off so guessing they don't plan to extend him. Choosing Mitch over Suzuki would have been complete lunacy.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:50 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:37 am
Thinking about it, Dipoto being president now, it had been suggested he has much more authority over the budget. Maybe it was dipoto that was making the FA decisions
I would bet my life he is part of a profit sharing plan incentivizing him not to spend too much in FA.
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:40 pm

That makes sense. Everyone here for the most part is aware of our weakness.....Jerry is trusting our outfield situation will work out and he may be right....The DH sharing thing and the rotation are a different story. He almost has to hope for the best and drag this team to the trade deadline in July

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:24 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:49 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:19 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:43 am
Suzuki should have been in our pockets. Best player in Japan, the legacy of his last name, the extra excitement he would have brought. But either ownership went cheapo and gambled on Haniger/JK/K-Rod/Lewis, or Ichiro is telling ownership not to sign Japanese stars who could eclipse him. Ohtani should have been in our pockets too.
I think probably they looked at the roster and saw a lot of right-handed corner outfield types with a decision pending soon on whether to extend Haniger, and so they didn't pursue quite as hard as they probably should have.
Basically we have ONE RH corner OFer type and he is currently on Death's door with Covid and even when he isn't they don't think he can stand in the OF 77 minutes a night for more than two nights in a row without needing a day off so guessing they don't plan to extend him. Choosing Mitch over Suzuki would have been complete lunacy.
Conforto is still available. If Julio keeps struggling I might be in favor of sending him down and signing Conforto to a 1 year deal.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:35 pm

Julio is hitting .235 with a .350 OBP in the past 5 games. I would take that for his first season. If he has a multi hit game with a bomb this week he is in business.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:44 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:35 pm
Julio is hitting .235 with a .350 OBP in the past 5 games. I would take that for his first season. If he has a multi hit game with a bomb this week he is in business.
His OPS is .585 over the last 5 games. That is not acceptable even for a rookie. Its still really early but how long are we going to wait? We've seen this show before.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:50 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:44 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:35 pm
His OPS is .585 over the last 5 games. That is not acceptable even for a rookie. Its still really early but how long are we going to wait? We've seen this show before.
I know, but he obviously has the power. Much prefer this to 1 or 2 HRs and a .200 OBP. Should give him at least until May 1st when rosters are constricted.
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:04 pm

I get the feeling Japanese stars don't want to come here to live in the shadow of Ichiro.

I doubt we were really ever in on Seiya. There had to be some real allure heading the Cubs after they just stripped the roster dry because he was going to have the chance to be the superstar for a historic org.