So how are all those bats we wanted doing??

D-train

Re: So how are all those bats we wanted doing??

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:13 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:04 pm
I get the feeling Japanese stars don't want to come here to live in the shadow of Ichiro.

I doubt we were really ever in on Seiya. There had to be some real allure heading the Cubs after they just stripped the roster dry because he was going to have the chance to be the superstar for a historic org.
How about Nori Aoki or Kawasaki. LOL I will take the over on him having a higher career OPS than Ichiro.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:38 pm

Not to mention Ken "G.I. Joe" Jima. :)

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:49 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:19 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:43 am
Suzuki should have been in our pockets. Best player in Japan, the legacy of his last name, the extra excitement he would have brought. But either ownership went cheapo and gambled on Haniger/JK/K-Rod/Lewis, or Ichiro is telling ownership not to sign Japanese stars who could eclipse him. Ohtani should have been in our pockets too.
I think probably they looked at the roster and saw a lot of right-handed corner outfield types with a decision pending soon on whether to extend Haniger, and so they didn't pursue quite as hard as they probably should have.
Basically we have ONE RH corner OFer type and he is currently on Death's door with Covid and even when he isn't they don't think he can stand in the OF 77 minutes a night for more than two nights in a row without needing a day off so guessing they don't plan to extend him. Choosing Mitch over Suzuki would have been complete lunacy.
And yet, they didn't pursue Suzuki. Or if they did, then not very hard.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:50 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:06 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:00 am
I think Jerry is here for a few more years, but will ultimately move on. I think the ideal scenario for him would be several years in a row of postseason appearances that he can then parlay into a President OR CEO role in NY, Boston, or Chicago. I doubt it's about money. I see it as more about status and ego with him.
You know he is currently president of baseball operations. I think he was given that title to block it from being offered by another organization
Yes, I am aware.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:12 pm

Adding Bryan Reynolds, although he seemed to be one of those available only for an offer that you couldn't refuse. But we have JRam listed, so I added him.

I am missing on Semien so far, but I only wanted him if he signed for 4-5 years.

Interesting that Kris Bryant has nearly the same wRC+ (which is park adjusted) as last year, and yet has 0.1 WAR. This is due to DHing twice this year, and to the fangraphs' baserunning metric.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... =&enddate=

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:54 pm

ice99 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:12 pm
Adding Bryan Reynolds, although he seemed to be one of those available only for an offer that you couldn't refuse. But we have JRam listed, so I added him.

I am missing on Semien so far, but I only wanted him if he signed for 4-5 years.

Interesting that Kris Bryant has nearly the same wRC+ (which is park adjusted) as last year, and yet has 0.1 WAR. This is due to DHing twice this year, and to the fangraphs' baserunning metric.

Funny I added Reynolds to the one I posted this morning to and I also noticed Bryant with the total disconnect between BA and WAR. We are on the same wave length lately, brother! :)
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:37 am

This makes me wish we had signed Kyle Schwarber
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sun May 08, 2022 3:22 pm

ice99 wrote:

Kris Bryant falling lower.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 08, 2022 3:39 pm

ice99 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 3:22 pm
ice99 wrote:

Zero HRs and on the IL now. And look at Story. Can't even hit at Fenway.
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sun May 08, 2022 4:33 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 3:39 pm
ice99 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 3:22 pm
ice99 wrote:

Zero HRs and on the IL now. And look at Story. Can't even hit at Fenway.
Schwarber's doing it even with a .196 BABIP. The 7 hrs does a lot to offset it.