Re: INJURIES / COVID / ROSTER UPDATES - Seattle Mariners

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:01 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:56 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:42 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:13 pm

4 team divisions like NFL? Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas and LAA? That would be fun. They need to put Portland and Seattle in the same division to help travel, but will probably put them in the NL because there are so many Mariners fans in PDX.
Why NL?
So the NW fans can just have 2 teams. It would be hard for Mariners fans to be Parlance fans if they are in the same division. If in the NL, many fans would just be fans of both teams
I don't think it would be like that at all. They would be rivals. Nobody was fans of both the Sonics and Blazers and I would bet the same for the MLS.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:01 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:42 pm

Why NL?
So the NW fans can just have 2 teams. It would be hard for Mariners fans to be Parlance fans if they are in the same division. If in the NL, many fans would just be fans of both teams
I don't think it would be like that at all. They would be rivals. Nobody was fans of both the Sonics and Blazers and I would bet the same for the MLS.
If in the same division, yes. I'm sure some Mariners fans in Portland would switch, but if Mariners are finally good after 25 years, how crappy would it be for those who do to see Mariners finally have success and then Portland struggle.

If they were in different conferences, and I was still up there, I'd be a fan of both.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:29 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:22 pm
D-train wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:

If in the same division, yes. I'm sure some Mariners fans in Portland would switch, but if Mariners are finally good after 25 years, how crappy would it be for those who do to see Mariners finally have success and then Portland struggle.

If they were in different conferences, and I was still up there, I'd be a fan of both.
I think you would be in the minority. I want to ask David Gee if there are Angel fans that are also Padres fans. Seems weird to me. I think the VAST majority of fans have one team they root for in each Sport.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:44 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:29 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:

I think you would be in the minority. I want to ask David Gee if there are Angel fans that are also Padres fans. Seems weird to me. I think the VAST majority of fans have one team they root for in each Sport.
I'm more with Juliooooo on this one. Yeah there are some teams I want to see fall flat other faces (e.g., Astros), but others I generally want to see do well (e.g., Red Sox) - just not when they are playing my team. If I were in Portland and they got a franchise, of course I'd root for the local guys, but my rooting for the Mariners wouldn't turn off. (It might take a brawl or two for that to happen LOL)

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:46 pm

D-train wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:

In 30 years, sure. I think Mariners fans in Pdx would certainty have an interest in Portland without fully switching teams if they are in different divisions.
Last edited by Juliooooo on Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:49 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:46 pm
D-train wrote:
Juliooooo wrote:

In 30 years, sure. I think Makers fans in Pdx would certainty have an interest in Portland without fully switching teams if they are in different divisions.
Ok, I get the distinction now. Thanks.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:58 pm
AL East
NY
Bos
Tor
O's

AL North
Twins
Indians
White Sox
Tigers

AL South
KC
Tampa
Houston
Texas

AL West
LAA
Portland
Oak
Sea

NL East
Phillies
Pirates
Mets
Nats

NL Midwest
Cubs
Brewers
Cards
Reds

NL South
Marlins
Braves
Rockies
Vegas

NL West
Dodgers
d backs
Giants
Pads

NL South would be pretty wonky but the other 7 divisions are great.
I think that Oakland is going to move to Vegas eventually. I'd look at adding a team in Charlotte or Memphis as the second expansion team. Then If TB and Colorado swapped leagues you could have a pretty balanced geographic alignment.

AL East
NY
Bos
Tor
O's

AL North
Twins
Indians
White Sox
Tigers

AL South
KC
Colorado
Houston
Texas

AL West
LAA
Portland
Vegas
Sea

NL East
Phillies
Pirates
Mets
Nats

NL Midwest
Cubs
Brewers
Cards
Reds

NL South
Marlins
Braves
Rays
Charlotte/ Memphis

NL West
Dodgers
d backs
Giants
Pads

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:57 pm

Yeah, I would say Portland is less likely because the M's will fight tooth and nail to protect their PNW monopoly.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:58 pm

32 teams sure would simplify the playoffs if they go to 16 teams. NFL is at 14 though so they might start there.
dt

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:06 pm

What about another Canadian team, like in Vancouver. That would be cool.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut