Trade Deadline Thread

Captain 97

Re: Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:58 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:18 am
So, one game out and well above .500 last year, and we are sellers, but now we are buyers? What the fuck is Bowden smoking? They are trading everyone that is owed money they can get back a damn thing for. Again, this shit right now is why you don’t sell when you are one game out! Karma. This team stinks, and this Front Office is getting what it deserves. Swirling down the drain, but at least we didn’t take a shot last year since our eye was one THIS future.

What the Ef, Buyers? Shit Bowden, no wonder you don’t run any organizations anymore. What pieces are we going to add to this Titanic?
+1

Dipoto bailed on a season and sold his closer while he was 1 game out of the division lead. He aint going to be a buyer while he is 8 games out of the wildcard.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:41 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:58 pm
Michael K. wrote:
So, one game out and well above .500 last year, and we are sellers, but now we are buyers? What the fuck is Bowden smoking? They are trading everyone that is owed money they can get back a damn thing for. Again, this shit right now is why you don’t sell when you are one game out! Karma. This team stinks, and this Front Office is getting what it deserves. Swirling down the drain, but at least we didn’t take a shot last year since our eye was one THIS future.

What the Ef, Buyers? Shit Bowden, no wonder you don’t run any organizations anymore. What pieces are we going to add to this Titanic?
+1

Dipoto bailed on a season and sold his closer while he was 1 game out of the division lead. He aint going to be a buyer while he is 8 games out of the wildcard.
The Rangers were expected to be bad and they purchased some hefty contracts this season to change that tune.

I think the writer is saying that the M's mentality has changed to trying to be a winner sooner rather than later so they could trade with that goal in mind.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:12 pm

Since April 26th when we were 11-6 and the Rangers were 6-11 we have gone 18-33 and they have gone 25-24.

Baseball comes at you fast....
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:28 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:12 pm
Since April 26th when we were 11-6 and the Rangers were 6-11 we have gone 18-33 and they have gone 25-24.

I remember what idiots people thought they were for spending instead of sitting on their thumbs for five years like Dipoto prefers to do.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:31 pm

bpj wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:28 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:12 pm

I remember what idiots people thought they were for spending instead of sitting on their thumbs for five years like Dipoto prefers to do.
Semien at .309/.917 in June.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:17 pm

A deal that might work, either at the deadline or in the offseason, is JK for Torkelson. It would basically be a swap of disappointing prospects. JK has a lot more positional value and is a lefty hitter. Torkelson was touted for the last few years as a no-doubt major league hitter, but hasn't hit yet. Would there be any point to this sort of deal?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:01 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:41 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Michael K. wrote:

+1

The Rangers were expected to be bad and they purchased some hefty contracts this season to change that tune.

I think the writer is saying that the M's mentality has changed to trying to be a winner sooner rather than later so they could trade with that goal in mind.
What does what Texas did this off season have to do with what a team currently falling like a stone will do at the deadline? Seriously, this team has NEVER added much at the deadline. When Al Martin and Heathckiff Slocumb are your big gets for a playoff push? You are weak. To think that they were sellers last year, and NOW? A team is a much worse situation is going to be buying pieces? Does anyone think this group is one or two pieces away?

They gambled and bet on this year. Thought that saving money and adding Abe Torro would somehow make us World Series contenders this season. They flopped. Maybe they will try and save face and will be buyers at the deadline. But my guess is we will be so far out of the race it won’t matter.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:52 pm

If they're going to be buying, and that's a big if, then I'd first want to bolster the top of the rotation. Their only chance is a WC spot. They'll play a 3 game playoff, so they'll need 3 good pitchers at the TOR. Ray, Logan and ?

I'd try to get someone like Luis Castillo, Pablo Lopez, or Tarik Skubal. This is where I'd start. Skubal will be a FA in 2027. Flexen will be a FA in 2027, so he'll be a part of the trade package. I'm not sure what the asking prices are right now. The hitters are hard to gauge right now.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:13 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:01 am
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Captain 97 wrote:

+1

What does what Texas did this off season have to do with what a team currently falling like a stone will do at the deadline? Seriously, this team has NEVER added much at the deadline. When Al Martin and Heathckiff Slocumb are your big gets for a playoff push? You are weak. To think that they were sellers last year, and NOW? A team is a much worse situation is going to be buying pieces? Does anyone think this group is one or two pieces away?

They gambled and bet on this year. Thought that saving money and adding Abe Torro would somehow make us World Series contenders this season. They flopped. Maybe they will try and save face and will be buyers at the deadline. But my guess is we will be so far out of the race it won’t matter.
What I'm saying is I don't think they'll be "buyers" in the traditional sense where they're adding guys with 3 months left on their contracts. If they go out and get a player, I hope it's a splashy guy like Reynolds or Lopez that have team control, are young, and fit in with the young core the M's have.

Then I'd throw my check book at Aaron Judge. Jerry can finally put his money where his mouth is.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:50 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:13 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:01 am
Seattle or Bust wrote:

What I'm saying is I don't think they'll be "buyers" in the traditional sense where they're adding guys with 3 months left on their contracts. If they go out and get a player, I hope it's a splashy guy like Reynolds or Lopez that have team control, are young, and fit in with the young core the M's have.

Then I'd throw my check book at Aaron Judge. Jerry can finally put his money where his mouth is.
At the deadline sellers are looking to take advantage of teams that are desperate to stay in the Hunt and there is a premium to pay. It doesn't make sense to try and build for the next couple of years by trying to trade minor leaguers for major leaguers at the deadline.