Suspensions announced

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Suspensions announced

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:03 am

Julio got the 2-game suspension for not getting hit like he was supposed to. That'll teach him.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:51 am

Anyone else find it crazy that Crawford got a bigger suspension than the guy who threw the first punch?
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:15 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:51 am
Anyone else find it crazy that Crawford got a bigger suspension than the guy who threw the first punch?
Yeah, it's nuts. He's getting suspended for throwing the most wild punches that look really violent on replay.

Meanwhile, a dozen + players not suspended at all because they were buried far enough into the scrum that nobody saw the punches they were landing.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:58 am

seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:39 am
In Fact MLB is probably more butt hurt because Winker flipped double birds at the fans.

Bunch of politically correct pussies.
Think they are butt hurt with him shoving the umpire out of the way and charging the Angel's dugout which is what started the brawl

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:58 am

So was Swanson actually trying to hit Trout or even just brush him off the plate? Seems unlikely to me.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:58 am
So was Swanson actually trying to hit Trout or even just brush him off the plate? Seems unlikely to me.
You can read what Swanson said about it at the beginning of the Jomboy Breakdown.
dt

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:44 pm

It seems just a little suspicious that the Angels lost a bunch of no names and non players while we arguably lost our top three players. I have to believe the beginning of things was perfectly orchestrated by Nevin so give credit where credit is due. Scott the "Soft" couldn't even manage to get himself ejected. Nevin had the nuts to send a big time message whether you agree with it or not. If we had a hard driving skipper I think we would be at .500 or better.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:48 pm

Stone.
By Larry Stone
Seattle Times columnist
There is always a kind of shared camaraderie that happens in the wake of a baseball fight. Participants relive the drama, compare notes on which teammates comported themselves with particular valor and lament perceived cheap shots from their foe.

That certainly occurred with the Mariners as they continued Monday to dissect their Sunday melee with the Angels — Who started it? Who escalated it? What would be the repercussions?

The Mariners were still filled with the righteous indignation that comes with their unwavering belief that it was the Angels who bear the brunt of blame for things getting out of hand. As manager Scott Servais said in discussing his hope that the Mariners’ inevitable suspensions would at least be staggered: “We did nothing. We didn’t hit anybody. We didn’t throw at anybody. It all came from the other dugout.”

RELATED
In aftermath of brawl, Mariners have one injury and three suspensions
In the wake of Mariners-Angels brawl, remembering 5 other famous Seattle sports fights
Why the Mariners aren’t the ones to blame for brawl with Angels
More

But the Mariners’ firm conviction of having the moral high ground, while soothing to the psyche, does little to lessen the very real repercussions that will come out of this brouhaha. Namely, that a team still vacillating between being either a longshot wild-card contender or falling entirely out of the race, will be severely depleted at the precise time they were finally heating up.

The word came down in the early evening: Outfielder Jesse Winker was suspended seven games, shortstop JP Crawford five games and outfielder Julio Rodriguez two games. In other words, three huge cogs in a lineup that already is compromised by injuries and poor performance will be out for varying lengths of time. All three played Monday; they will appeal and perhaps have their suspensions lessened, but this will be a burden that the Mariners are ill-equipped to overcome.

“They [the suspensions] will hurt because of the players involved,’’ Servais said. “They play a lot for us, and they do a really good job. Anytime you lose a key guy, it hurts the lineup.”

The Mariners certainly got a taste of that Sunday when, post-fight, they had to play the next seven innings with a lineup that resembled something you might see in spring training. They lost 2-1 to snap a five-game winning streak.

“Unfortunately, they took three of our four top hitters out. It made yesterday’s game very difficult,’’ Servais said.

The fallout continued Monday when Luis Torrens came up with a sore shoulder from the fight that landed him on the injured list. That’s on top of various bumps, cuts and bruises (one of which emerged on Servais’ upper arm, prompting him to say, grimly, “Shouldn’t be in these things.”).

The Mariners must hope that the fight will become a galvanizing event that helps them overcome the lineup deficiencies — though Monday’s game was not encouraging in that regard. Starter George Kirby was blasted for seven runs in four innings, while the Mariners had just three hits in a lackluster 9-2 defeat. After a flurry of wins on the roadtrip, they are in danger of quickly regressing back into full crisis mode.

Servais said he talked to the team after Sunday’s game in Anaheim, California, to remind them that they need to focus on moving forward, not wallowing in what happened Sunday.

“I told them I don’t want this to get in the way of what we need to do,” he said.

Servais acknowledged the bonding that takes place after a brawl but said the Mariners didn’t really need it.

“I think this club has always been really together,’’ he said. “The energy is in our dugout on a daily basis. I feel it. I certainly felt it on the road trip. We got a lot of guys on base. We got a lot of hits.

“When you’re not doing anything offensively, I’ve always said it looks like you’re not trying; people say there’s no energy, the ballclubs dead. So now there’s a big melee or whatever you want to call it — are we going to come out tonight and try any harder? No. Our guys are trying plenty hard. This is about figuring out a way to beat the Orioles.”

Winker, who bore the brunt of MLB’s punishment — and was greeted with a rousing ovation from the fans Monday at T-Mobile Park — said he was enraged when the Angels threw behind Rodriguez in the first inning.

“I mean, they threw a ball at Julio’s head. And that was enough to really upset me,’’ he said. “I didn’t like that at all. He’s got such a bright future ahead of him. Yes, we’re all out here playing a man’s game; I get that. But no one should be throwing at Julio Rodriguez’s head; nobody’s head. We didn’t throw the ball at [Mike Trout]. We wouldn’t hit a guy to bring up [Shohei] Ohtani, who already had a home run. It makes no sense to do.”

The Mariners felt the whole incident was instigated by the Angels as payback for a pitch high and tight to Trout the night before, and then escalated by them (as well as the umpires for not immediately ejecting Angels starter Andrew Wantz).

“It was all premeditated,’’ Winker said. “They had an opener begin the game to do that. And to me, it was just BS. … The unfortunate thing is it all could have been stopped with a simple ejection and people just not talking. But there’s a man with a cast on [Anthony Rendon] and the manager [Phil Nevin] talking. That’s why this started. If they’re not talking, none of that happens. But they decided to run their mouth, and I didn’t like it. It’s that simple. There’s nothing left to say about that.”

Nothing but the fact that the Mariners will soon be playing without Rodriguez, their emerging superstar; Crawford, their glue guy at shortstop; and Winker, who just finished his most productive week of the season after a rocky start. That’s on top of missing Ty France, Mitch Haniger, Kyle Lewis, Tom Murphy and now Torrens.

In aftermath of brawl, Mariners have one injury and three suspensions
In the wake of Mariners-Angels brawl, remembering 5 other famous Seattle sports fights WATCH
They can feel good about the fact that they had each other’s back, and believe in their heart of hearts that this was all on the Angels. But as Servais said, what they really need to do is make sure they don’t squander what has been a sustained run of excellent pitching — 24 consecutive starts before Monday in which they gave up three earned runs or fewer, as well as a revitalized bullpen. And the fallout of the fight undeniably made that an even tougher job.

“We’re just trying to grind through this thing,’’ Servais said, speaking before the game. “Hopefully, we do get completely healthy again and can get our original team out on the field. I’d hate to waste or not take advantage of the starting pitching we’ve had. I don’t want to look up at the end of the year and say: ‘Man, we let this one get away. We didn’t take advantage of a group of five starters and a bullpen that really came together.'”

Yeah, there was bonding Sunday, and afterward. But at what cost?
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:50 pm

Jerry probably doesn't mind this a bit. Nice distraction from his roster construction and excuse why he failed to get the team to the playoffs for the 7th straight season despite 3 WCs and all those available resources.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:50 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:58 am
You can read what Swanson said about it at the beginning of the Jomboy Breakdown.
What Swanson said didn't make a lot of sense. If he was trying to bean Trout in the head, though, he would have to be crazy and/or really dumb, even if he was told to do it. Imagine the fallout if he had.
Last edited by Sibelius Hindemith on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.