trade deadline looming France, Lewis, and Haniger returning

Juliooooo

Re: trade deadline looming France, Lewis, and Haniger returning

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:40 am

bpj wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:35 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:47 am
Actually Jerry did say that. Just didn't follow through.
And Dtrain already pointed out that he said that in response to me saying that Dipoto said he was going after a #2.
It was right after I said " he never said he was going to get one". Words matter. Understanding words matter. He never said he WAS going to get a number 2, he said that's what they would focus on, not that they were going to do it. There is a difference between those 2 things, and is not just semantics.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:47 am

bpj wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:38 am
Nobody said they were going to get one, just that they said they were going after one and Dtrain posted a quote. Then they decided the price/prospect cost was too much so they switched gears and went with Brash with Kirby as the backup.

Pitching has carried the team. They just couod have carried it even more with a #2.
He posted that quote right after I said " Jerry never said they WERE going to get one" in contradiction to what I said. " he just didn't follow through".
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:51 am

He didn't follow through with what? Getting a #2, that implies his intention was to add someone, which is different than inquiring and deciding the cost was too much.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:51 am

It was right after you tried disagreeing with me that Dipoto said he was going after a #2.

Dtrain already said he was responding to my statement that you were trying to refute, and he posted a quote supporting it. Then you go off about it not being a guarantee, which nobody ever claimed it was- before you interjected it.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:57 am

I believe our biggest obstacle is Jerry Dipoto himself.

With Frazier's total bust of a performace it would seem that would be an ideal position where they could upgrade and we'd instantly be better.

BUT Jerry is a stubborn man. He's acquired guys like Upton and Santana because of major injuries to Hanniger and France and Lewis.

I highly doubt though he is willing to admit defeat on his boy Frazier and I hope I'm wrong. i.e. Toro is still in the lineup.

Maybe since Frazier is a free agent after this year anyway he'd be willing to trade his ass and/or dfa him.

I really like the Jazz Chisholm idea from Miami that DTrain posted.

An even bigger ticket item though I'd argue is a starting pitcher since Kirby is going to get shut down sometime in the 2nd half.

Our pitching is just too good to half ass it like SS suggests.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:02 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:47 am
bpj wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:38 am
Nobody said they were going to get one, just that they said they were going after one and Dtrain posted a quote. Then they decided the price/prospect cost was too much so they switched gears and went with Brash with Kirby as the backup.

Pitching has carried the team. They just couod have carried it even more with a #2.
He posted that quote right after I said " Jerry never said they WERE going to get one" in contradiction to what I said. " he just didn't follow through".
I believe he was referring to this, not making a contradiction to what you said-
Attachments
Screenshot_20220705-195952_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:07 am

bpj wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:51 am
It was right after you tried disagreeing with me that Dipoto said he was going after a #2.

Dtrain already said he was responding to my statement that you were trying to refute, and he posted a quote supporting it. Then you go off about it not being a guarantee, which nobody ever claimed it was- before you interjected it.
I didn't disagree about that, I disagreed about saying they gave the reigns to Brash and that failed. They knew they had Kirby as well. It wasn't putting faith in Brash and failing, it was potting faith that Brash or Kirby would work out and being right.

They looked into a #2 starter Im sure, and my guess is they decided the cost was too high because they believed in Kirby/Brash. I think Kirby was always the guy they believed most in, but Brash had performed well and deserved a chance, it also gave them time to give Kirby a few starts in Minor Leagues.

Who knows who they would have had to give up for a #2, maybe Edwin Arroyo, maybe Gabriel Gonzales, maybe Taylor Dollard, maybe they were all asking for Kirby in return. They still have all those guys, and they have a starting rotation that is one of the better rotations in the league. That gamble has worked out.
Last edited by Juliooooo on Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:10 am

It's not that they didn't pull it off, it's they decided the cost was too much. I'm sure they could have gotten one but the the teams were asking for Kirby in return, and JD said "no thanks, I'll just use him instead."

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:17 am

bpj wrote:

Also I didn't say he wasn't going after one, he never said he was going to get one though. There is a difference. A big one, that isn't "just semantics."

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:27 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:17 am
bpj wrote:

Also I didn't say he wasn't going after one, he never said he was going to get one though. There is a difference. A big one, that isn't "just semantics."
Agreed, but you were the only one saying that anybody said he guaranteed he'd get a #2.

Nobody else did. That's what I mean you were arguing with yourself because you're the only one that introduced the idea that Dipoto guaranteed we'd get a #2, apparently based on other things you've read people say.

Dtrain clarified twice he was responding to what I said about "going after" one, but you kept pushing the argument that you introduced (that nobody else was even saying)- that being that Dipoto guaranteed he was going to get a #2.

Nobody said that but you. Then you started arguing about it for some reason.