trade deadline looming France, Lewis, and Haniger returning

bpj

Re: trade deadline looming France, Lewis, and Haniger returning

Post by bpj » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:50 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:23 am
bpj wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:56 am
The implication is- like Dipoto said- they were looking to focus their energy on adding a SP at the top of the rotation if possible. Going after one. Nobody said anything about guaranteeing they'd get one (except you).

Seems pretty simple-

He didn't come to an agreement with/for any -> Didn't add a #2 -> Didn't follow through on what they were going to focus their energy on accomplishing.

Sure, the reason could absolutely be that he didn't like the deals on the table, that's fine.

The result is we have a 100 ERA+ pitcher in the rotation instead of a 145 ERA+ #2 like Rodon.

If the cost was too high, so be it.
That's been my point the entire time. That's why I say he never said they WERE going to get someone, he said that's where they WOULD add someone IF they did add, and it wouldn't be at the bottom of the rotation. I'm sure they looked decided the cost was too high given how Confortable they were with Kirby/Brash. People might disagree with them, but that's what they said. They never"failed" to do anything and it wasn't that they "didn't follow through" with something they said they WERE going to do. I explain my point and I'm told "its just semantics" when that clearly isn't the case. It's a distinct difference, and the points I bolded in your post, is why I think the distinction is important. They gathered information and made a decision. Thankfully it's working out so far.
Nobody ever said otherwise.

He didn't accomplish adding a #2 SP as he said he'd like to.

Whether he failed to accomplish it or simply didn't accomplish it is semantics because the end result is we didn't get a #2 SP and our rotation is not as good as it could have been as a result.

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:39 am

Pharmabro wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:51 am
So, I am looking at the BP and the guys they have now are working.

The offense
C Cal has been clicking and even Luis was heating up a bit in June.
JRod, Winker, TAylor has been heating up
France !B
3B Saurez
SS JP
2B Moore has a 97 OPS+, Frazier has been slumping but if Santana is hitting well and you need a spot for Lewis Haniger why not play France as a 2B?

This brings me to pushing the biggest way to upgrade the team is by adding to the top of the rotation by trading Flexen as part of the package to get a Montas type (if not injured) but also the Reds guys Castillo or Mahle.

I really feel like when we have the top 4 guys going we're going to see a pretty good start. Flexen is game and is fine as a #5 but flip him for Castillo and switch from a 85-90 ERA+ guy to a 152 ERA+ guy who has a career 125 ERA+ and you get him for 1.5 years.

My package which was accepted by the trade calc thing is here but added to that is we also give them the #74 pick Comp Rd B pick which is eligible to trade.
Flexen, SToudt, Miller. (pitchers)
SS Arroyo
OF Deloach or MOntes or both
If both the M's lose by a couple million if 1 the Reds lose by a couple of million. But that does not include the #74 comp pick which I would put as something like a 5-10M dollar value.

I know people will disagree and think this or that. And it is true. DO the Reds Value a cheap pitcher who has proven to be at least a #5 and maybe a #3? Flexen
Do the Reds want Flexen and JK? JK 40.7M, + 4.7> 45.4M
OR
Something like Flex 4.7M, Hancock 6.6M, Ford 11.1M, Lewis 19M =41.4M ( I least like this one)

For the record, I would probably do about anything as long as the value was relatively close and benefitted the team. Like if we traded Cal as a 20M $ value as part of the package to get a SP? yes, creating holes to fill holes.

And yet I have heard a report on the broadcast that the M's have the #1 staff in baseball over the last 30-something game stretch.

M's rotation:
1. Castillo R 152 ERA+
2. Ray L 102 ERA+
3. GILBERT R 138 ERA+
4. Marco L 112 ERA+
5. Kirby R 99 ERA+
6. Flexen R 92 ERA+

And maybe I am keeping FLexen and doing a 6 man or something until Kirby reaches his innings limit if that is
Getting rid of Cal makes no sense what so ever. Creating a hole that is even more difficult to fill then a SP just doesn’t make sense and the price for a catcher will be far worse then a SP

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:47 am

Especially when you consider we have the lowest Starter ERA in the league since June 1st. 2nd in baseball behind the Dodgers. I know Kirby will likely be limited but yeah, creating major holes to add starters is insane.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=16,a
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:12 pm

No way does Jerry trade Cal. I mean, look what we got for Austin Nola?! You'd have to be getting an insane package like that in return to trade Raleigh, and even I don't know if you do it, because who replaces him behind the dish? Our Starters are humming right now with that kid back there. Don't wanna mess around with that kind of mojo in a playoff race.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:18 pm

Ok, Drury is my new target. Good cheap and versatile. FA at the end of the season.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... br01.shtml
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:21 pm

Ty is ready for Broadway! 🌟

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:27 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:21 pm
Ty is ready for Broadway! 🌟
That is awesome!!!!!!!!!! LOL
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:28 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:18 pm
Ok, Drury is my new target. Good cheap and versatile. FA at the end of the season.

One good season, much better at home (OPS 120 points higher). Will be hit at T-mobile? If you can get him for not much, sure, but don't be surprised if he doesn't keep up the same numbers after leaving Cincinnati.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:42 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:28 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:18 pm

One good season, much better at home (OPS 120 points higher). Will be hit at T-mobile? If you can get him for not much, sure, but don't be surprised if he doesn't keep up the same numbers after leaving Cincinnati.
Doesn't get on basemuch. Strikes out often. Will his numbers translate from that tiny bandbox?

ice99

Post by ice99 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:47 am
Especially when you consider we have the lowest Starter ERA in the league since June 1st. 2nd in baseball behind the Dodgers. I know Kirby will likely be limited but yeah, creating major holes to add starters is insane.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=16,a
Interesting that when you sort on WAR, the Mariners fall way down. Part of it seems to be park factors.