Halfway point grades

D-train

Halfway point grades

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:07 pm

The good
Julio - A. 5.6 WAR pace. Would have been an A+ if not for the slow start. Just amazing baseball player and he is ours.

France - A- 4.6 WAR. Just a pure hitter. Hasn't been as good defensively but who cares. Sucks that he got hurt because of a guy that should have never been playing. Toro.

Suarez - B+ 4.0 WAR. Man what pleasant surprise. Very solid pick up and better than Seager was last season.

Cal - B 3.0 WAR Another great surprise. A catcher that can hit. It has been too long. Once he gets his BA over .200 he could finish with and A grade.

JP Crawford - B- 3.0 WAR. Hot start but then the same ole JP. Buzz kill but still a decent player. Needs to get going again when he returns

Moore - C+ 2.0 WAR Solid UT player. If only he could hit for average.

The Bad

Winker D+ 0.8 WAR. Epic disappointment. Better lately but still bad overall.

Frazier D- 0.4 WAR. Just completely sucks. Decent defensively but just an impotent back especially lately. Terrible Pick up.

The Ugly

JK F 0.0 WAR Yet another fail. Played better defensively but just can NOT hit MLB pitching.

Toro F -0.8 WAR Only one of two negative WAR guys on the team. Just a nightmare season for him. I won't miss him when he is gone.

Torrens F -0.8 WAR. Can't hit, can't catch, what do ya do??? Literally a zero tool player now that he has zero power. Be gone and stay gone.

Who would like to grade the pitchers????
dt

AZOldDawg

Re: Halfway point grades

Post by AZOldDawg » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:50 pm

Can we trade Torrens and a player to be named later (Who's name begins with T) for O'Keefe? :lol:

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:24 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:07 pm
The good
Julio - A. 5.6 WAR pace. Would have been an A+ if not for the slow start. Just amazing baseball player and he is ours.

France - A- 4.6 WAR. Just a pure hitter. Hasn't been as good defensively but who cares. Sucks that he got hurt because of a guy that should have never been playing. Toro.

Suarez - B+ 4.0 WAR. Man what pleasant surprise. Very solid pick up and better than Seager was last season.

Cal - B 3.0 WAR Another great surprise. A catcher that can hit. It has been too long. Once he gets his BA over .200 he could finish with and A grade.

JP Crawford - B- 3.0 WAR. Hot start but then the same ole JP. Buzz kill but still a decent player. Needs to get going again when he returns

The Bad

Frazier D- 0.4 WAR. Just completely sucks. Decent defensively but just an impotent back especially lately. Terrible Pick up.

The Ugly

JK F 0.0 WAR Yet another fail. Played better defensively but just can NOT hit MLB pitching.

Toro F -0.8 WAR Only one of two negative WAR guys on the team. Just a nightmare season for him. I won't miss him when he is gone.

Torrens F -0.8 WAR. Can't hit, can't catch, what do ya do??? Literally a zero tool player now that he has zero power. Be gone and stay gone.

Thanks for this...Honestly we have several players to get excited for the future. Just need to spend some money for an ace and a couple bats

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:55 pm

D-train wrote:
Was hoping you would. ;)

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:09 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:55 pm
D-train wrote:
Was hoping you would. ;)
Looking like I will have too. lol
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:32 pm

I'll do pitchers:

Starters:

Logan Gilbert: A+ on pace for around 5 WAR - Other than a recent, tough start, he's been mostly dominant. The development of his secondary pitches have put him over the top and he's learned to locate his fastball with conviction. We're also not seeing velo dips which is huge.

Robbie Ray: B on pace for around 3 WAR - It was a slow start, but he's returned to his dominant form of late. He could easily surpass 3 WAR if he continues to pitch like this. MLBTV has him at -45.3 trade value. They can go fuck themselves.

Marco Gonzales: B+ on pace for about 1.5 WAR - which makes no sense to me. How can a guy pitching to a 3.29 ERA be considered so non-impactful? Yes he's 4-9, but that's not his fault. He pitches to weak contact and excels. To me, he's a very underappreciated player. A pitcher is only as good as how many runs he gives up. He's a no. 5 starter that routinely pitches to an ERA under 4.00 which is all you can ask for. Modern day Moyer.

Chris Flexen: C+ on pace for about 1 WAR - certainly has regressed compared to what we got last year but has been better of late. He's my least favorite of the starters but he certainly doesn't hurt us. I wouldn't be opposed to the M's replacing him with another premium arm, but he's serviceable for a 4/5 arm.

George Kirby: A- on pace for about 1 WAR - not sure why the WAR metrics hate him so much. He's about all you can ask for in a rookie. He needs to figure out how to stop giving up the long ball, but he's got a bright, bright future. He's a future ace.

Relievers:

Paul Seaworld: A - 2.73 ERA, 137 ERA+ - about all you can ask for from a guy you're paying diddly shit to hold down the back end of your bullpen. He's not perfect, just a very reliable arm.

Andres Munoz: B+ 3.60 ERA, 104 ERA+ - he's a rookie coming off Tommy John. There were going to be some growing pains. He's going to be one of the best relievers in baseball for the next decade. Last 15 games? .72 WHIP, 1.62 ERA, 24 K's/2 BB's. < - ya, that's dominance.

Penn Murphee: A 1.99 ERA, 187 ERA+ - this year's Sadler. Can't ask anything more from a guy who nobody figured would be on the roster.

Diego Castillo: B 4.66 ERA, 80 ERA+ - tricky one. It's tough to grade Diego poorly because he had 3 or so relief appearances early where he gave up some runs. His last 15 games he's 4 and 1 with a .44 WHIP, 1.13 ERA, 20 K's/3 BB's <- ya, that's also dominance.

Erik Swanson: A+ 0.84 ERA, 444 ERA + - if not for the injury, he's an easy All Star. Not sure how he's doing it, but he's one of the best relievers in baseball.

Matt Festa: C 4.35 ERA, 86 ERA+ - bleh. Have never liked the guy.

Drew Steckenrider: F 5.65 ERA, 68 ERA+ - HUGE reason for some early losses. DFA'd after a dominant 2021. Major let down.

Sergio Romo: F 8.16 ERA, 46 ERA+ - not the pickup I would have chosen in the wake of injuries. Jerry goofed up here.

Anthony Misiewicz: C- 4.21 ERA, 57 ERA+ - he's just not very good. Not the lefty I would have gone with heading into the year.

Ryan Borucki: B+ 3.52 ERA, 110 ERA + - I like Borucki way more than I like Shittywicz.

Wyatt Mills: C+ 4.15 ERA, 93 ERA+ - he's a slightly better Matt Festa, so I still don't like him.

Tommy Milone: B 2.00 ERA, 192 ERA+ - the numbers are deceiving as he's mostly pitched in games that we were getting blown out.

Roenis Elias: C+ 3.52 ERA, 110 ERA+
- same as stated above.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:45 pm

Thanks and Great job!

Maybe you already know this but Mills was traded in the Santana trade.
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:49 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:45 pm
Thanks and Great job!

Ah good point, I didn't include Yohan for that reason.

The trade sort of pissed me off so I couldn't be bothered to remember the details :lol:

gil

Post by gil » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:53 pm

D-train wrote:
The good

The Bad

The Ugly

How do you figure Suarez 2022 is better than Seager 2021. I see Geno's OBS is better, but power numbers are lower and he hasn't been hitting as well with RISP. Defense?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:55 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:49 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:45 pm
Thanks and Great job!

Ah good point, I didn't include Yohan for that reason.

The trade sort of pissed me off so I couldn't be bothered to remember the details :lol:
Why did it piss you off? I would have preferred Bell but we didn't give up anything at least.
dt