What does the top 100 mean for the future?

GL_Storm

Re: What does the top 100 mean for the future?

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:01 pm

The rankings could become much more accurate and predictive in the next year or so. The equipment that MLB uses to provide the really granular stats used by Savant and Fangraphs is either in the process of being installed in minor league parks or is in there already, and once that's available, a lot of the mystery will be lifted around minor league player performance. We'll know, for instance, which players can't hit offspeed very well, even if their overall performance looks great because they mash fastballs. My source on this is Baseball Prospectus.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:49 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:05 pm
Man, I didn't know Benintendi was ranked 1 overall at one point. And Amed Rosario, a top 5 prospect? Get outta here
It is funny how the world turns. I remember a Texas top prospect that was as can't miss as any and Jurickson Profar has been up a while first getting called up late in 2012 he has had 3 seasons over a 100 OPS+ and this year he is at a 117 OPS+. But still, only 5.9 BWAR for nearly 800 games played.

Another name that I saw on that list was the Astros prospect I wanted in the Paxton deal Forest Whiley who has never made the majors. He was once their #1 or #2 prospect and was in the top 10 in baseball. SO one thing you may not take into account was what year they were in some prospects may rise fast. And some may have just barely made a list because of SSS and then they rise up the charts fast.

And some of thoughts is that a guy like Vlad has only been worth 12 WAR or whatever he has been an MVP/Silver slugger type of franchise cornerstone already.

And Matt Chapmann was atop 10 MVP guy twice and has great D to help fuel his WAR but he is a below-average bat today and may not be adding up as it may have looked like he was making a possible HOF career if you at his 1st 4 years and projected the same for the next 16 years or so.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:15 am

yeah I drafted Forrest Whitley in my fantasy league like 5 years ago and he never made it, got TJ and still working his way back from it.