Update on the WC situation Good news

MarinerMike

Re: Update on the WC situation Good news

Post by MarinerMike » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:29 pm

Wow, two Mondays ago we expected heads to roll and Servais to be fired. I’m almost ready to think we have a chance, but still dizzy from the whiplash :lol:

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:33 pm

Hang in a sec. Last year the AL East finished
Tampa 100
Boston 92
New York 92
Toronto 91

Despite all that analysis, it’s quite possible for something similar to occur this year in a different order. New York are stronger for sure and were 9-11 vs Toronto whereas they are 8-4 this year. If New York take 5 of the 7 remaining that would bring Toronto down to 86 if they stay like-for-like on other records.

Right now the third WC in both leagues are at around .530 pace - that’s also 86 wins. In the last month of the season some teams have given up the ghost, so it’s likely the challenging teams will need a win or two more than that pace.

I think I got to the same answer as Captain97 in an hour less. :lol: It’s 86-88 at the minimum to have a chance.
Last edited by mostonmike on Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:37 pm

MarinerMike wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:29 pm
Wow, two Mondays ago we expected heads to roll and Servais to be fired. I’m almost ready to think we have a chance, but still dizzy from the whiplash :lol:
Looks like they have finally overcome your jinx of joining the Forum! lol ;)
dt

MarinerMike

Post by MarinerMike » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:37 pm
MarinerMike wrote:
I was thinking about that yesterday but didn’t want to speak too soon :D

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:55 pm

MarinerMike wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:39 pm
D-train wrote:
MarinerMike wrote:
I credit you for that Darren. Mike was 1-8 I think on arrival but has been 25-21 (.540 WC pace) since our night in Boston.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:13 pm

MarinerMike wrote:
HA! I still can't stand SS or Dipstick but the scrubs are winning despite the odds. That fight vs. LAA seems to have galvanized the team.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:35 am

mostonmike wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:55 pm
MarinerMike wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:39 pm
D-train wrote:

I credit you for that Darren. Mike was 1-8 I think on arrival but has been 25-21 (.540 WC pace) since our night in Boston.
I think it was your magical surprise meet up on the Fenway tour! :)
dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:09 am

From FanGraphs columnist Dan Szymborski, who Wednesday gave the Mariners a 40 percent chance of advancing to the postseason:
The Mariners are demonstrating the cruelty of run differential. While it certainly feels like a significantly worse season — standings are tallied by actual wins, not a reasoned evaluation of a team’s strength — the team has made some progress and is arguably stronger than last year’s overachieving unit. Our confidence in the quality of Logan Gilbert should be stronger than at the start of the year, and Robbie Ray has turned things around quickly over the last six weeks or so. This team still has a realistic shot at the last wild card spot or two.
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-zips-mi ... an-league/

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:14 am

harmony wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:09 am
From FanGraphs columnist Dan Szymborski, who Wednesday gave the Mariners a 40 percent chance of advancing to the postseason:
The Mariners are demonstrating the cruelty of run differential. While it certainly feels like a significantly worse season — standings are tallied by actual wins, not a reasoned evaluation of a team’s strength — the team has made some progress and is arguably stronger than last year’s overachieving unit. Our confidence in the quality of Logan Gilbert should be stronger than at the start of the year, and Robbie Ray has turned things around quickly over the last six weeks or so. This team still has a realistic shot at the last wild card spot or two.
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-zips-mi ... an-league/
**** the last weeks card spot. Let's sweep these foreigners, embarrass all the light blue pansies in the crowd, and win the first wild card spot.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:20 pm

Are there still people that haven't heard of Google? I saw people asking about WC tie breakers and nobody could come up with an answer. :lol: :roll:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules
dt