Reminder why Kirby is on a innings limit

D-train

Reminder why Kirby is on a innings limit

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:59 pm

Anthony and I talked about this lunacy resulting in a self imposed problem they only brought on themselves on the Podcast.

In 2019 Kirby pitched 112 inning between Elon and Everett.
In 2020 their was no minor leagues but they had 3 month and could have had him pitch 5-6 innings every 5 days and him back close to 100 innings.
in 2021 they could have pitched him 120-130 innings in Everett and Ark. instead they slow played him pitching him on 67 innings for no f-ing reason.
If they had pitched him 120-130 last season he could pitch 150-160 this season and we wouldn't be in this ridiculous situation.
Now they act all prudent and thoughtful to limit him due to a situation they created themselves like an arsonist helping to put out his own fire.

So two options.

1. Go with a bum like Sheffield or a guy like Dollard with zero experience above AA.
2. Trade one or two of our top prospects for a vet that is as good as Kirby.

With option 1 it might cause us to miss the playoffs and with option two you significantly weaken your farm system.

Dumb.
dt

ice99

Re: Reminder why Kirby is on a pitch limit

Post by ice99 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:15 pm

Some of that was due to their 6 man rotation experiment. I wouldn't mind picking up a Max Meyer type, that they can have as an Aug or Sept callup. Grayson Rodriguez would be better, but he's going to cost too much.

D-train

Re: Reminder why Kirby is on a innings limit

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:16 pm

Sounds like Jerry is getting smarter so maybe this won't be a problem after all. Good stuff.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:57 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:59 pm
Anthony and I talked about this lunacy resulting in a self imposed problem they only brought on themselves on the Podcast.

In 2019 Kirby pitched 112 inning between Elon and Everett.
In 2020 their was no minor leagues but they had 3 month and could have had him pitch 5-6 innings every 5 days and him back close to 100 innings.
in 2021 they could have pitched him 120-130 innings in Everett and Ark. instead they slow played him pitching him on 67 innings for no f-ing reason.
If they had pitched him 120-130 last season he could pitch 150-160 this season and we wouldn't be in this ridiculous situation.
Now they act all prudent and thoughtful to limit him due to a situation they created themselves like an arsonist helping to put out his own fire.

So two options.

1. Go with a bum like Sheffield or a guy like Dollard with zero experience above AA.
2. Trade one or two of our top prospects for a vet that is as good as Kirby.

With option 1 it might cause us to miss the playoffs and with option two you significantly weaken your farm system.

Dumb.
He had an injury last year and missed over a month iirc. Did you want them to have him pitch through that and miss all of this year because he needed surgery?

He actually missed time twice due to shoulder fatigue. To say it was "no reason" is absolutely not true
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:50 pm

Probably because they only pitched him about once a week 4-5 innings and then shut him down for the year. Amazing he was as good as new for the start of ST.

https://www.milb.com/player/george-kirb ... &year=2022
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:46 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:50 pm
Probably because they only pitched him about once a week 4-5 innings and then shut him down for the year. Amazing he was as good as new for the start of ST.

https://www.milb.com/player/george-kirb ... &year=2022
Or, twice he missed close to a month with shoulder fatigue and they didn't want to injure him.

5/14- 6/4 without pitching, and 7/10 - 8/7.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

MarinerMike

Post by MarinerMike » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:52 pm

Option 3: Go with a 6-man or 7(!)-man rotation to limit his innings and keep him fresh for the playoffs!

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:01 pm

I think they would go with Milone if they needed a spot start over Sheffield or Dollard.