To stand pat or not to stand pat, that is the Q

D-train

Re: To stand pat or not to stand pat, that is the Q

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:58 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:44 pm
Is Montas healthy though? I thought they pulled him the other day.
With the trade deadline approaching, Frankie Montas’ health status is of particular interest to both the Athletics and several other teams around baseball. The right-hander tossed just one inning on July 3 and hasn’t pitched since, due to shoulder inflammation. The A’s resisted placing Montas on the 15-day injured list, and it seems as though he could return as early as Thursday, when Oakland opens the second half with a doubleheader against the Tigers.
dt

Mesully11

Post by Mesully11 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:11 pm

When I read all these trade ideas, no matter how good they sound, I am always reminding myself who will be doing the trading.

Big money deals don't happen in Seattle very often, one maybe two trades or free agent signings per season is about all that has been allowed.

So I am trying to temper my expectations to the reality of who this franchise is. It is not that I disdain their frugality but that I can see a pretty good baseball team built on a lower end payroll and I am excited about Mariner baseball again.

I hope this year they think a bit more about team chemistry before making adds or subtractions.

If they do nothing it might be better than what they did last year.

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:17 pm

This Sports Illustrated analysis of potential Seattle pitching targets is somewhat disrespectful:

https://www.si.com/mlb/mariners/front-o ... amondbacks

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:22 pm

harmony wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:17 pm
This Sports Illustrated analysis of potential Seattle pitching targets is somewhat disrespectful:

https://www.si.com/mlb/mariners/front-o ... amondbacks
Just a fan post. He's a college student.

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:28 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:06 pm
Vogelbomb wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:22 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:55 am

How many contending baseball teams stand pat and only replace their backup catcher at the deadline?

This just isn't realistic talk. It actually makes my head hurt.

Dipoto should be scouring the ends of the earth for significant upgrades or he's not doing his job. If there was ever a deadline to go for it, it's this one... and you hope they go w. Taylor Dollard or Emerson Hancock to supplant the pitching staff in a playoff run? Jesus.
First, it does not matter what other teams do or have done. That is not of consequence here. The goal is to not only make the postseason in 2022, and ideally do it by winning the AL West which the M's are by no means out of, but to also make the postseason in 23, 24, 25, 26 you get the picture. Every damn season. This team is just entering its contending window NOW. And that window is a MASSIVE one. Think the roll-up door at Boeing plant.

Thus, Ms FO has to be very careful about the kind of prospect and ML roster talent it yields to make upgrades.

Lastly, how the hell do you scoff at adding Hancock or Dollard?! I'll wager either of those arms is better than anything we'll find on the market, Castillo included.

Because relying on rookie pitchers to carry you through a playoff run is insane and nobody does that. Especially a rookie in Hancock who has only pitched 41 innings this year and 85 innings in his pro career. There's simply 0 chance he'll be an M in the 2nd half of this season.

Why on earth do you think the Astros went out and traded for Zach Grienke vs putting Corbin Martin (former top 100 prospect) into the rotation in 2019? Because they want veteran pitchers who have been there to carry the load... they actually traded Corbin Martin in the deal to get Grienke.
The Braves with Fried last year and Rays have done it a couple times. Nobody does that is wrong, they were successful as well

Boisehawk

Post by Boisehawk » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:34 pm

I think Kirby should be optioned to the Tacoma and lightly used. Go sign the best SP we can find without selling our best prospects. We only have maybe 5 or six we need to protect, if a pitcher is hurt bring Kirby back up. In no way should we sign Soto for 500 million. We already have our star. Look at the angles and nationals. Both have the so called best players and they suck. It’s all about pitching. We have it and we are winning. There are guys like Torrens and Toro should be replaced. They are a drag on the team. Use our ability to take on salary to replace them with real MLB players.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:41 pm

desbcoach wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:28 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:06 pm
Vogelbomb wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:22 pm

First, it does not matter what other teams do or have done. That is not of consequence here. The goal is to not only make the postseason in 2022, and ideally do it by winning the AL West which the M's are by no means out of, but to also make the postseason in 23, 24, 25, 26 you get the picture. Every damn season. This team is just entering its contending window NOW. And that window is a MASSIVE one. Think the roll-up door at Boeing plant.

Thus, Ms FO has to be very careful about the kind of prospect and ML roster talent it yields to make upgrades.

Lastly, how the hell do you scoff at adding Hancock or Dollard?! I'll wager either of those arms is better than anything we'll find on the market, Castillo included.

Because relying on rookie pitchers to carry you through a playoff run is insane and nobody does that. Especially a rookie in Hancock who has only pitched 41 innings this year and 85 innings in his pro career. There's simply 0 chance he'll be an M in the 2nd half of this season.

Why on earth do you think the Astros went out and traded for Zach Grienke vs putting Corbin Martin (former top 100 prospect) into the rotation in 2019? Because they want veteran pitchers who have been there to carry the load... they actually traded Corbin Martin in the deal to get Grienke.
The Braves with Fried last year and Rays have done it a couple times. Nobody does that is wrong, they were successful as well
Fried is in his 6th year with the Braves.

You're right and the Rays sort of paid the price. Brendan McKay pitched to a 5.14 ERA in 2019. In 2020 they got lucky with Josh Fleming who is now one of the worst starters in baseball.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:50 pm

Boisehawk wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:34 pm
I think Kirby should be optioned to the Tacoma and lightly used. Go sign the best SP we can find without selling our best prospects. We only have maybe 5 or six we need to protect, if a pitcher is hurt bring Kirby back up. In no way should we sign Soto for 500 million. We already have our star. Look at the angles and nationals. Both have the so called best players and they suck. It’s all about pitching. We have it and we are winning. There are guys like Torrens and Toro should be replaced. They are a drag on the team. Use our ability to take on salary to replace them with real MLB players.
Kirby should be used post ASB until they trade for a starter. Then move Flexen (or Gonzales) to the pen as a reliever. They can Kibry down in Sept, when the roster goes to 28 players and they can have more relievers.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:51 pm

Boisehawk wrote:
The Angels and Nationals have horrible contracts to go alongside Trout/Ohtani/Soto and have really struggled with player development.

The key is to trade for Soto, sign him to a big contract, and continue to scout well/develop well so you're more like Dodgers.

Signing elite players to big contracts is not the problem. Failing to put quality players alongside them is and that doesn't really come down to money.

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:52 pm

Boisehawk wrote:
Wrong name but right team, they did start 3 rookies in a row though

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/sports/anot ... ies-game-5