JK's career is over

D-train

Re: JK's career is over

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:00 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:49 pm
Yeah that is it, it's not that he can hit a fastball if he connects but he can hit them really hard. Not defending it, just a bit of data.

Terms of JK in general, not concerned about declaring his career over, though I don't think it is. Even if he continues to struggle he will be given plenty of more chances.
I agree Jerry will give Him plenty of chances.. where I have a problem is when we don’t fill a need over the winter when Jerry knew jk was struggling…now we have a new hole with Haniger…if Jerry doesn’t extend him. We should have gotten a significant bat last winter like Seiya which would allow jk to figure out how to layoff junk.
Literally everyone bought into the Hot September Hoax that he had figured it out and it was clear sailing from there. Crazy.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:39 pm

This is the best lineup we can put out until JRod and Casali get here.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:05 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 pm
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:49 pm
Yeah that is it, it's not that he can hit a fastball if he connects but he can hit them really hard. Not defending it, just a bit of data.

Terms of JK in general, not concerned about declaring his career over, though I don't think it is. Even if he continues to struggle he will be given plenty of more chances.
I agree Jerry will give Him plenty of chances.. where I have a problem is when we don’t fill a need over the winter when Jerry knew jk was struggling…now we have a new hole with Haniger…if Jerry doesn’t extend him. We should have gotten a significant bat last winter like Seiya which would allow jk to figure out how to layoff junk.
Literally everyone bought into the Hot September Hoax that he had figured it out and it was clear sailing from there. Crazy.
Not all of us....

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:07 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:05 pm
D-train wrote:
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:

Not all of us....
:D All credit to you sir! Epic find. When I looked at the pitchers in KC that he hit the bombs off of I couldn't believe it. They made Hector Noesi and Darren McCaughen seem like Ryan and Koufax! lol
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:09 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
D-train wrote:
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:

Not all of us....
If you mean by literally, not literally, then I agree.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:13 pm

ice99 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:09 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
D-train wrote:

Not all of us....
By literally not, I mean myself. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5504&hilit=kelenic&start=20

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:14 pm

ice99 wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:09 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
D-train wrote:

Not all of us....
Literally everyone on twitter? lol Touche.
dt

Thepeelsessions

Post by Thepeelsessions » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:35 pm

I want so much for Kelenic to succeed. Any Mariners fan would be foolish not to. But something is seriously stinky behind the scenes with his struggles at the plate.

Him and his agent got way too big for their damn britches, which put him in a negative light with the fans, and possibly management. I really do believe he was called up way too early, and him hitting lead off absolutely didn’t help. But, at the same time, they were letting him flex his muscles after all the big talk and minors mashing.

To me, it really got weird when he started tinkering with his stance during his 0-40+ stretch last year. First he ditched the dorky shoulder rocking, but stayed hunched. Then he went back to rocking the shoulders. I honestly can’t remember what changes, if any, he made to his stance from being recalled last year to being optioned to is year. But now it’s really strange.

Whatever stance he developed in Tacoma recently is a joke. It looks so unnatural and there is no way it’s helping. And that’s where I have a big problem. Is his constant tinkering at the urging of the organization? Or if it’s his call, why is the organization letting him do it? I don’t think his stance was ever a problem. I think it’s always been about his approach, pitch recognition, and swing mechanics. And sure, mechanics are tied to the stance, but is it really necessary to completely change it after it worked for you for years and got you to the bits

This whole thing with Kelenic just pisses me off. And it’s kind of reminiscent of the Evan White situation. White was a legit contact hitter coming out of Kentucky and if I remember correctly, the M’s wanted him to become more of a power hitter to begin his minors assignments (I swear I read that somewhere a few years back).

Yes, Kelenic (and White) have a long way to go and it may already be too late. But I can’t shake the feeling that the prospect development within the organization has a lot to do with the failings. Just my two cents on this polarizing topic.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:11 am

Thepeelsessions wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:35 pm
I want so much for Kelenic to succeed. Any Mariners fan would be foolish not to. But something is seriously stinky behind the scenes with his struggles at the plate.

Him and his agent got way too big for their damn britches, which put him in a negative light with the fans, and possibly management. I really do believe he was called up way too early, and him hitting lead off absolutely didn’t help. But, at the same time, they were letting him flex his muscles after all the big talk and minors mashing.

To me, it really got weird when he started tinkering with his stance during his 0-40+ stretch last year. First he ditched the dorky shoulder rocking, but stayed hunched. Then he went back to rocking the shoulders. I honestly can’t remember what changes, if any, he made to his stance from being recalled last year to being optioned to is year. But now it’s really strange.

Whatever stance he developed in Tacoma recently is a joke. It looks so unnatural and there is no way it’s helping. And that’s where I have a big problem. Is his constant tinkering at the urging of the organization? Or if it’s his call, why is the organization letting him do it? I don’t think his stance was ever a problem. I think it’s always been about his approach, pitch recognition, and swing mechanics. And sure, mechanics are tied to the stance, but is it really necessary to completely change it after it worked for you for years and got you to the bits

This whole thing with Kelenic just pisses me off. And it’s kind of reminiscent of the Evan White situation. White was a legit contact hitter coming out of Kentucky and if I remember correctly, the M’s wanted him to become more of a power hitter to begin his minors assignments (I swear I read that somewhere a few years back).

Yes, Kelenic (and White) have a long way to go and it may already be too late. But I can’t shake the feeling that the prospect development within the organization has a lot to do with the failings. Just my two cents on this polarizing topic.
The tinkering is frustrating and its impossible to know how much of that is him vs. coaching from the org. Regarding the new stance, I think it was Blowers that was suggesting he might be left eye dominant, and the new open stance is supposed to help with that. I have no idea if that's a true thing or not.

I do think he's improved somewhat, but he needs to be at AAA. He's obviously overwhelmed by major league pitching. But AAA is still a challenge. He's a good player at that level, but not at all dominant. If I was advising him, I would tell him to spend the offseason at Driveline and also maybe see if the Mariners will let him play winter ball somewhere.

Something else I want to point out is that while offspeed and breaking pitches are the biggest issue, he can actually improve vs. fastballs as well. This isn't a situation where he hits .350 vs. Fastballs and .105 vs. everything else. He needs to get better across the board.

Thepeelsessions

Post by Thepeelsessions » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:21 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:11 am
Thepeelsessions wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:35 pm

If I was advising him, I would tell him to spend the offseason at Driveline and also maybe see if the Mariners will let him play winter ball somewhere.
I’d do the same. If he really wants to improve, he should just dedicate his entire upcoming off-season to being in the cages, being somewhere where he can spend all the time he can at the plate. I love the idea of winter ball. Like Russ says “no time to sleep”.