JK's career is over

DavidGee24

Re: JK's career is over

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:02 pm

I can't believe we're still trying to talk ourselves into JK. He's now 1-15 since his return. He's batting .129. It's not going to happen. We already threw away his position for this season by letting him play instead of signing Suzuki.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:12 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:40 am
He's actually quite a bit better than before. In AAA, he made significant improvements to his approach that seem to be carrying over to his AB's since he came back. He isn't chasing much at all, he's cut down on his whiffs and K's dramatically, and he's making much better contact against breaking and offspeed pitches. The HR the other night was to a changeup low and away that he would have whiffed at 99 times out of 100 before. That was his first AB of the night. His third AB was a good one too. On this one, against Cole, he hit a 98 mph fastball low in the zone for a flyout, but again that was a pitch that he probably would have whiffed at before. Actually, that AB was pretty interesting because Cole was hitting his spots just below the zone, trying to get JK to chase and he wouldn't go for it. Finally, Cole gave him one to hit and it almost went out.

About a month ago in AAA, there was a game that seems like it must have had an impact, because afterwards the quality of his ABs changed significantly. In that game, 37-year old career minor leaguer Cesar Valdez basically made Jarred his bitch, striking him out twice on changeups and then getting him to ground out on a changeup in his third AB. It must have been frustrating. Here's the statcast link for that game if you want to take a look: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?gamePk=664545

But after that game, clicking through his AB's in July before he got called up, it seems like he really tightened things up. The whiffs went down and in-zone contact got a lot better, including against offspeed and breaking pitches.

There are still clear areas where he needs to improve, but the progress is significant. I'm not saying he's ready to win a batting championship, but I think he can probably hit somewhere around league average and with his power and his defense in right field, that's an everyday player. Of course, he still has to do the things that I think he can do. We'll see how that goes. I think he could get roster crunched down to Tacoma for a few weeks, but if so he'll be back when rosters expand.

Thanks for the input.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:10 am

After the first game of today's double header, he's now 2 for 18. Both hits, the HR against Cole and the single today, were off of changeups. The hit today was encouraging not just because he hit another changeup, but because it was well off the outer half of the plate. Jarred used to chase those pitches and just whiff away at them, but he reached out and hit this one, which is great. His other two AB's weren't anything to write home about though. He and Mayers (the third AB) have faced each other several times in AAA and I'm not sure Jarred knows how to adjust against him yet.

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:03 am

How many excuses are you gonna give guys before you finally throw in the towel like seriously. I don't give 2 flying shits about his contact rate, the only things that matter are hits and runs that's it. What good is contact if your not getting on base.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:37 am

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:03 am
How many excuses are you gonna give guys before you finally throw in the towel like seriously. I don't give 2 flying shits about his contact rate, the only things that matter are hits and runs that's it. What good is contact if your not getting on base.
We're supposed to be the SMART Mariner fans here. By this point only the people who refer to home plate as "home base" should still be sold on JK. This "well, he had a nice AB yesterday so he's turning it around" epitomizes why we can't have nice things.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:34 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:40 am
He's actually quite a bit better than before. In AAA, he made significant improvements to his approach that seem to be carrying over to his AB's since he came back. He isn't chasing much at all, he's cut down on his whiffs and K's dramatically, and he's making much better contact against breaking and offspeed pitches. The HR the other night was to a changeup low and away that he would have whiffed at 99 times out of 100 before. That was his first AB of the night. His third AB was a good one too. On this one, against Cole, he hit a 98 mph fastball low in the zone for a flyout, but again that was a pitch that he probably would have whiffed at before. Actually, that AB was pretty interesting because Cole was hitting his spots just below the zone, trying to get JK to chase and he wouldn't go for it. Finally, Cole gave him one to hit and it almost went out.

About a month ago in AAA, there was a game that seems like it must have had an impact, because afterwards the quality of his ABs changed significantly. In that game, 37-year old career minor leaguer Cesar Valdez basically made Jarred his bitch, striking him out twice on changeups and then getting him to ground out on a changeup in his third AB. It must have been frustrating. Here's the statcast link for that game if you want to take a look: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?gamePk=664545

But after that game, clicking through his AB's in July before he got called up, it seems like he really tightened things up. The whiffs went down and in-zone contact got a lot better, including against offspeed and breaking pitches.

There are still clear areas where he needs to improve, but the progress is significant. I'm not saying he's ready to win a batting championship, but I think he can probably hit somewhere around league average and with his power and his defense in right field, that's an everyday player. Of course, he still has to do the things that I think he can do. We'll see how that goes. I think he could get roster crunched down to Tacoma for a few weeks, but if so he'll be back when rosters expand.
What are you even talking about. Before getting sent down he was at .140/.219/.291. Since being called back up he is at .095/.095/.238. He hasn't cut down on K's dramatically. He has struck out 7 times in 21 PA since being called back up. The dude still can't hit MLB pitching but you think he is "quite a bit better" because of a game a month ago in AAA. :roll:

He was even worse this year in AAA than he was last year.
2021 .320/.392/.624 1 K every 3.56 PA
2022 .289/.355/.551 1 K every 2.72 PA

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:06 pm

Oh I agree he should be at AAA. He is better than he was before he got sent down, but he still isn't getting hits off of breaking balls. He probably needs a good chunk of time in Tacoma before he's ready.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:58 pm

In the entire 151 year History of Major League Baseball there has never been an outfielder with 450 PA that had a lower average than Kelenic.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=13,a

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:13 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:58 pm
In the entire 151 year History of Major League Baseball there has never been an outfielder with 450 PA that had a lower average than Kelenic.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=13,a
So we would LITERALLY take a 161 year old Stump in the batters box over JK. :lol: :lol: :lol:
stump.JPG
stump.JPG (21.5 KiB) Viewed 293 times
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:17 pm

I think we found Kelenics new nickname.

Stump Kelenic