Re: JK's career is over

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:53 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:26 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:43 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:41 pm

Yes, I recall that you called out people for twisting Mather's comments to fit their narrative. I also agree that it was close to 50/50 here.
Nothing that Mather said was even wrong imo. It was incredibly stupid to say some of the things, and especially in the way he said it.

Julio's english probably wasn't "tremendous", but for a 19 year old who started speaking just 1-2 years prior, it was well above average, and should have been applauded. All teams try to negotiate, but to say they would come back "hat in hand" was stupid.
Mather commented they wouldn't bring him up even if he was ready. There was nothing about if he actually was o not.
He said they wanted him to have more AB in the ML if I remember correctly.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:53 pm

ice99 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:42 pm
Most fans knew there was service time manipulation. The players' union knew, and the owners knew. But there really wasn't an incident where they openly amitted it, no smoking gun, until Mather opened his big mouth. Then the M's were under the scrutiny of the players' union backlash on how they handled him.
Thats the thing though, he had about 70 AB above A ball, it was obvious that he wasn't fully seasoned in the Minors.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:55 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:53 pm
ice99 wrote:
Most fans knew there was service time manipulation. The players' union knew, and the owners knew. But there really wasn't an incident where they openly amitted it, no smoking gun, until Mather opened his big mouth. Then the M's were under the scrutiny of the players' union backlash on how they handled him.
Thats the thing though, he had about 70 AB above A ball, it was obvious that he wasn't fully seasoned in the Minors.
Hit .257 in AA and then six games in AAA and then to the leadoff spot in the Big Leagues. Insanity.
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:58 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
ice99 wrote:
I agree he wasn't ready. There was no reason to bring him up. But the fact that the M's were under higher scrutiny remains.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:16 am

I didn't know where to put this. Along with the ban on shifts that may help JK, there is a plan to make the outfielders play more shallow:

• A ban on infield shifts. Beginning in 2023, teams no longer will be allowed to have more than two infielders on one side of second base. Opening the field puts a premium on athleticism and incentivizes hitters to put the ball in play.

• A maximum depth for outfielders. Still in the planning stage, it may be tried in extended spring games this year, perhaps defined by a green arc painted in the grass. Initial research by MLB shows that for every 10 feet outfielders play shallower, the rate of doubles and triples increases by 2%. With analytics pushing outfielders deeper, the rate of doubles and triples has fallen 12% in 20 years.

Now they'd have to move Winker to DH if that happens.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:52 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:43 pm

Nothing that Mather said was even wrong imo. It was incredibly stupid to say some of the things, and especially in the way he said it.

Julio's english probably wasn't "tremendous", but for a 19 year old who started speaking just 1-2 years prior, it was well above average, and should have been applauded. All teams try to negotiate, but to say they would come back "hat in hand" was stupid.
The comment about speaking the language would have been completely glossed over several years ago....just not in today's woke era.

What he said about service time started a shit storm. I remember the local guys on KIRO going off. It was ridiculous. First, if the MLB doesn't want teams to manipulate service time, then change the rule. Second, how does Mike Salk know more about when JK is ready than the guys paid to make these decisions? Yes, the failure of this organization opens itself up to criticism, but for Christ sake, all the screaming about how we rush guys (Zunino comes to mind), then JK needed to play!" Shit, I don't remember this place being 50 50, I remember guys upset he didn't play during the COVID shortened season in 2020, not to mention starting out in the minors in 2021!

Again, if a few of you disagreed, fine, but even if it was 50 50 that he should have been called up, it's kind of ridiculous to know how most say he was rushed. The guy wasn't rushed, the guy is un-coachable.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:55 pm

Juliooooo wrote:

Well, it seems it wasn't obvious to Captain Ego himself, or to several fans that went irate after Mather's comments. It wasn't just in this forum, the talk radio was hilarious. Somehow the reason they didn't make the playoffs in 2020 was the JK didn't play, and the fact that he started out 2021 in the minors meant they wouldn't make the playoffs again. Then? He has one of the worst starts to a career in history! Yet, the story dies. The same MFers that were bashing the Mariners for not bringing him up were either not talking about it at all, or calling the Mariners stupid for bringing him up, or for not sending him down soon enough. It's pathetic.