JK's career is over

DavidGee24

JK's career is over

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:06 am

It needs to be said. 1-14 since the call-up, he's even worse than he was. In fact, he hits worse than most pitchers.

It was already a foregone conclusion that his career was over simply because nobody in the history of MLB has ever started his career that badly over that many ABs like that and even been so much a decent player, except for maybe Bill Bergen and absolutely nobody else ever.

The front office seems to realize this too. It's just too bad other teams also see this and wouldn't offer something for him.

MarinerMike

Re: JK's career is over

Post by MarinerMike » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:11 am

So much for untouchable, can't-miss prospects. Mariners even offered him a contract and he turned it down. He could be cashing checks like Evan White.

I hope he turns it around. :(

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:40 am

He's actually quite a bit better than before. In AAA, he made significant improvements to his approach that seem to be carrying over to his AB's since he came back. He isn't chasing much at all, he's cut down on his whiffs and K's dramatically, and he's making much better contact against breaking and offspeed pitches. The HR the other night was to a changeup low and away that he would have whiffed at 99 times out of 100 before. That was his first AB of the night. His third AB was a good one too. On this one, against Cole, he hit a 98 mph fastball low in the zone for a flyout, but again that was a pitch that he probably would have whiffed at before. Actually, that AB was pretty interesting because Cole was hitting his spots just below the zone, trying to get JK to chase and he wouldn't go for it. Finally, Cole gave him one to hit and it almost went out.

About a month ago in AAA, there was a game that seems like it must have had an impact, because afterwards the quality of his ABs changed significantly. In that game, 37-year old career minor leaguer Cesar Valdez basically made Jarred his bitch, striking him out twice on changeups and then getting him to ground out on a changeup in his third AB. It must have been frustrating. Here's the statcast link for that game if you want to take a look: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?gamePk=664545

But after that game, clicking through his AB's in July before he got called up, it seems like he really tightened things up. The whiffs went down and in-zone contact got a lot better, including against offspeed and breaking pitches.

There are still clear areas where he needs to improve, but the progress is significant. I'm not saying he's ready to win a batting championship, but I think he can probably hit somewhere around league average and with his power and his defense in right field, that's an everyday player. Of course, he still has to do the things that I think he can do. We'll see how that goes. I think he could get roster crunched down to Tacoma for a few weeks, but if so he'll be back when rosters expand.

Thepeelsessions

Post by Thepeelsessions » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:49 pm

I like what I’ve seen so far. His contact rate is popping out. And it’s not weak Toro-like contact. Like GL said, his whiff and K rate is much lower this time around and I think it’s a matter of time until he starts producing consistently.

If Taylor Trammell, who posted a 40+% K rate last year, can make the adjustments and improve his ABs, Jarred can too.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:12 pm

So if he does come around and finally look like a major league hitter, wouldn't that seem to indicate that he was brought up way too fast and all the talk about service time manipulation was a load of shit that was pushed by (woke) idiots following the Mather uproar?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:44 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:12 pm
So if he does come around and finally look like a major league hitter, wouldn't that seem to indicate that he was brought up way too fast and all the talk about service time manipulation was a load of shit that was pushed by (woke) idiots following the Mather uproar?
Yes

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:58 pm

He was massively rushed. Hit .257 in AA then 6 games in AAA then promoted and put in the leadoff spot. :roll:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:04 pm

Kyle Lewis' career is over.

SEA Lineup
TBD
Adam Frazier (L) 2B
Ty France (R) DH
Jesse Winker (L) LF
Carlos Santana (S) 1B
Eugenio Suarez (R) 3B
J.P. Crawford (L) SS
Jake Lamb (L) RF
Cal Raleigh (S) C
Jarred Kelenic (L) CF
dt

Thepeelsessions

Post by Thepeelsessions » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:04 pm
Kyle Lewis' career is over.

SEA Lineup
TBD
Adam Frazier (L) 2B
Ty France (R) DH
Jesse Winker (L) LF
Carlos Santana (S) 1B
Eugenio Suarez (R) 3B
J.P. Crawford (L) SS
Jake Lamb (L) RF
Cal Raleigh (S) C
Jarred Kelenic (L) CF
Maybe Scott is planning on playing him in the night game. Still, Lewis should’ve played last night after an off day Thursday. Pretty pathetic.

Thepeelsessions

Post by Thepeelsessions » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:57 pm

He was definitely rushed. I don’t recall pounding the table for him to come up, since we’ve all experienced that enough as M’s fans. But I was definitely super excited when the news broke. I remember geeking out about it with a co worker on a hot rooftop just hours before game time. JK and Gilbert debuting together was one of biggest games in M’s history, or it at least should have been.

There was no way in hell he was ready, and I think the woke folk you mentioned really didn’t help the situation since it put the whole organization in a bad light with all their pissing and moaning.