Just Saying

AZOldDawg

Just Saying

Post by AZOldDawg » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:13 pm

The thing we've basically always not wanted to come to grips with is that we are, at best, an average hitting team and this needs to be addressed and not lip serviced in the off season. Let's take a nonsabermetrics look:

Good Hitters: Julio and Ty. Hanny if healthy

Above Average Hitters: Frazier if he continues his upswing. Suarez if he cuts his K's. JP if he uses the whole field. Cal if he continues to improve his approach. If the "if's" don't happen they move to Average at best.

Average Hitters: All the rest except . . .

Poor Hitters: Toro, JK, Torrens, KLew since he can't use his legs. Moore because he K's too much.

With all the wonderful things we've accomplished this year I think there is still an elephant in the living room

Juliooooo

Re: Just Saying

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:33 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:13 pm
The thing we've basically always not wanted to come to grips with is that we are, at best, an average hitting team and this needs to be addressed and not lip serviced in the off season. Let's take a nonsabermetrics look:

Above Average Hitters: Frazier if he continues his upswing. Suarez if he cuts his K's. JP if he uses the whole field. Cal if he continues to improve his approach. If the "if's" don't happen they move to Average at best.

Poor Hitters: Toro, JK, Torrens, KLew since he can't use his legs. Moore because he K's too much.

With all the wonderful things we've accomplished this year I think there is still an elephant in the living room
I've kind of been saying that's why I don't like the trade. Trade from a position of weakness to a position of strength. Marte could be an elite hitter. I don't care if he has to play LF defensively. Trading the 1 guy that could help offensively before 2025 was a mistake. Now Jerry has to supplement the lineup via FA (LOL) or trade (further depleting the farm system by trading his like Gonzales or Montes).
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:35 pm

Help is on the way. Locklear with a double, a single an walk in his first game in the ACL. He should moving quickly through the system.

His stats this season at Virginia Commonwealth: .402/.542/.799/1.345.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:37 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:33 pm
AZOldDawg wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:13 pm

I've kind of been saying that's why I don't like the trade. Trade from a position of weakness to a position of strength. Marte could be an elite hitter. I don't care if he has to play LF defensively. Trading the 1 guy that could help offensively before 2025 was a mistake. Now Jerry has to supplement the lineup via FA (LOL) or trade (further depleting the farm system by trading his like Gonzales or Montes).
Not to mention, his counting on Lewis and Mitch to be impact bats was imbecilic. Lewis is Toast and Mitch didn't even play last night.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:38 pm

Locklear could be ready by 2024. Modesto for the rest of the season and Everett and Ark next season.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:42 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:38 pm
Locklear could be ready by 2024. Modesto for the rest of the season and Everett and Ark next season.
I'm not counting guys that haven't taken a professorial AB. Maybe he can play LF, but are they going to move Ty France for him? Well he be an upgrade from Suarez in 2024?

Edit, yes, I know he took a few ab last night against probably some 17 yo that was in DSL last year
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:50 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:42 pm
D-train wrote:
I'm not counting guys that haven't taken a professorial AB. Maybe he can play LF, but are they going to move Ty France for him? Well he be an upgrade from Suarez in 2024?

Edit, yes, I know he took a few ab last night against probably some 17 yo that was in DSL last year
He is still a major question mark but probable is our best earliest chance which actually confirms your point even more!
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:58 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:33 pm
Agree, they are at a clear disadvantage in the FA market for hitters so it is crucial for the long-term sucess of the team that they develop them. You can trade for some, but that will usually be guys like Winker that aren't under contract for more than a couple years.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:01 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:50 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:42 pm
D-train wrote:

He is still a major question mark but probable is our best earliest chance which actually confirms your point even more!
Yep. But if they went with a cheaper option like Montas, then in 2024 you have

Kirby, Gilbert, Ray, Hancock, Dollard, Miller, Flexen, Marco, plus whoever else emerges. Plenty of pitching options.

Julio and Cal will be entering their prime. JP, Suarez and France should be performing similar. Marte should be ready to help, with Arroyo and Locklear knocking on the door. Gonzales, Montes, Arroyo 2.0 will likely have more trade value (I won't count Gonzales out for 2024, I like him more than anyone in the system).

The trade completely changes the outcome of the present and future. They better fucking at accordingly in the offseason

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:01 pm

Hogan Windish G. Gonzales and Axel Sanchez are all still killing it in Modesto. Windish is a 23 yo 2B out of UNC Greensboro so he could move fast as well.

https://www.milb.com/gameday/nuts-vs-po ... ame=670724
dt