Re: Game Two vs. Angels Haniger's return game thread

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:06 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:55 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:54 am
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:39 am

The Padres suck. Just got worked by the Dodgers after they made their splash.
Sure, and the Mariners are so much more fan friendly
What does that even mean lol?

I'd welcome a random Mariner executive to come piss in my coffee every morning if it meant we were a winning franchise.

Fuck being fan friendly.
You don't understand the concept of a fan friendly owner? Sure, the Astros can probably calculate wins better, go be an Astros fan but I'll pass. Heaven forbid I might be talking about more than winning but I love what a guy like Peter Sadler brings to the game
Forget the slight build and quiet, understated public image of Padres Chairman and principal owner Peter Seidler. He’s a one-man, high-voltage lightning storm in storm-less San Diego, tossing bolts in all directions.
One shook Petco Park’s home clubhouse, where the limitations-be-damned addition of 23-year-old, bat-wielding superstar Juan Soto stunned. One struck the heart of San Diego, a city now believing baseball’s biggest hardware can shift from dream to destination.
ADVERTISEMENT
And one more sizzled from coast to coast, as Major League Baseball morphed from captivated to slack-jawed that a franchise mired in irrelevancy for so much of its existence has become a full-blown player at the biggest tables.
President of Baseball Operations and GM A.J. Preller might be the mad scientist, but none of this happens — nada, zero, zilch — without Seidler’s willingness to consider everything and wring the checkbook like a dish rag.
He’s changing everything, without regard for operational brick walls or brake pedals, as the eighth-largest city in America gasps at the breakneck drama and rarely rewarded patience being charred to a crisp.

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:06 am

TraderGary wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:04 am
Millikin wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:00 am
Great game everyone. I'm really looking forward to another game against the angels tomorrow.
Not to worry. We have our best starter (Marco) going tomorrow. Guaranteed win.
You know what... We're going to win a rare, solid game. 6-2.

Why? Mariners Baseball. Makes no damn sense!™
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

seth8734

Post by seth8734 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:07 am

Omg this offense is complete and utter joke. Easiest schedule the rest of the way but cant even win series we need to win. My gut feeling will just miss out on a wc spot due to not having offense. Jerry will make up for it and trade for the best 120 with 1 homer in his career. Calling him the next babe Ruth. Seriously can we get a winning gm. A guy who knows actually how to build a winner. Return of Mitch went o so well

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:07 am

Millikin wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:03 am
:lol: :lol: Even though he was spot on and as frustrating as this game was, that was still really funny!

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:15 am

Millikin wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:06 am
TraderGary wrote:
Millikin wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:00 am
Great game everyone. I'm really looking forward to another game against the angels tomorrow.

Bad news about tomorrow, is a lefty with an ERA north of 6. That means he's bound to get 6 + innings and <= 1 run.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:25 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:15 am
Millikin wrote:
TraderGary wrote:

Bad news about tomorrow, is a lefty with an ERA north of 6. That means he's bound to get 6 + innings and <= 1 run.
We're going to get Humbered.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:27 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:55 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:54 am

Sure, and the Mariners are so much more fan friendly
What does that even mean lol?

I'd welcome a random Mariner executive to come piss in my coffee every morning if it meant we were a winning franchise.

Fuck being fan friendly.
You don't understand the concept of a fan friendly owner? Sure, the Astros can probably calculate wins better, go be an Astros fan but I'll pass. Heaven forbid I might be talking about more than winning but I love what a guy like Peter Sadler brings to the game
Forget the slight build and quiet, understated public image of Padres Chairman and principal owner Peter Seidler. He’s a one-man, high-voltage lightning storm in storm-less San Diego, tossing bolts in all directions.
One shook Petco Park’s home clubhouse, where the limitations-be-damned addition of 23-year-old, bat-wielding superstar Juan Soto stunned. One struck the heart of San Diego, a city now believing baseball’s biggest hardware can shift from dream to destination.
ADVERTISEMENT
And one more sizzled from coast to coast, as Major League Baseball morphed from captivated to slack-jawed that a franchise mired in irrelevancy for so much of its existence has become a full-blown player at the biggest tables.
President of Baseball Operations and GM A.J. Preller might be the mad scientist, but none of this happens — nada, zero, zilch — without Seidler’s willingness to consider everything and wring the checkbook like a dish rag.
He’s changing everything, without regard for operational brick walls or brake pedals, as the eighth-largest city in America gasps at the breakneck drama and rarely rewarded patience being charred to a crisp.
You're preaching a "more than winning mentality" to a fan of a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 21 years.

Does that just go completely over your head, or?

Donn, I'd be willing to bet you haven't attended a Mariners game in person in ages.

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:28 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:53 am
TraderGary wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:43 am
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:39 am

The Padres suck. Just got worked by the Dodgers after they made their splash.
But they're not afraid to "go for it" and pull out all the stops in an effort to bring a championship to San Diego..... unlike the Mariners ownership. That was the point.
I don't think they have the depth to get it done. Teams that have to buy everything seldom make it.

Clevinger and Snell's best years are behind them. Paddack has completely lost it. Their farm doesn't have any quality arms after trading Gore... and I don't even think he was that good.

Aside from Machado, Soto and Tatis... it's slim pickins. Cronenworth and Grisham have taken big steps back... and the rest are just sub .700 OPS hitters with nothing on the horizon in development because they just traded their whole farm.

Then you look at the Astros and their entire pitching staff is young, home-grown and loaded with the exception of Verlander... they have another stud on the come up in Hunter Brown.

They have legit hitters in Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Tucker, Brantley, Mancini... they've developed another young, quality short stop...

It just never stops with these guys.
We can only dream of a Machado, Soto, and Tatis heart of the lineup.

But the point was, even though the Padres have probably mortgaged their future for maybe a 2-year run at a championship, they've proven that they have a bold ownership that's willing to pull out all the stops to bring a championship to their city.

The Mariners ownership is run like a public traded corporation where it's all about profits and the bottom line.

I have no problem with the Mariners making a profit. They have every right to do so. But the city of Seattle and the fans have poured millions into the team through many years of heartache and they need to take some of their millions of profits and put it back into the team to make them legitimately competitive. I would argue that they have not done that.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:29 am

8 runs in the last 6 home games against a slightly below average pitching staff. If DiPoto had done his job he would have acquired Winker, Suarez, Seiya Suzuki and Josh Bell, picked up Castillo at the deadline (all very possible), and we'd be thumping these guys. But no, he thought in all honesty that Kelenic and Lewis (and by extension Upton) were better options than Suzuki and that Santana was a better option than Bell. He LITERALLY thought this.

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:41 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:29 am
8 runs in the last 6 home games against a slightly below average pitching staff. If DiPoto had done his job he would have acquired Winker, Suarez, Seiya Suzuki and Josh Bell, picked up Castillo at the deadline (all very possible), and we'd be thumping these guys. But no, he thought in all honesty that Kelenic and Lewis (and by extension Upton) were better options than Suzuki and that Santana was a better option than Bell. He LITERALLY thought this.
Honestly, I'd be happy with a new GM. But ownership would never do that because look at our payroll, the millions the owners are making, and the fact that we're a legitimate wild card team even though we have no real shot to win a championship with this lineup, despite having one of the best pitching staffs in baseball.