Time for Castillo to rakr the Coles over the Skakees G.T, 8/9/22

ddraig

Re: Time for Castillo to rakr the Coles over the Skakees G.T, 8/9/22

Post by ddraig » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:16 pm

Funny how people say baseball is boring, especially if it is a pitchers duel. Low scoring games don't hold their interest. And yet, after missing the game and reading the remarks, I missed perhaps the most entertaining, nail-biting, intense, and fun game of the year. The score was 1-0 and the way you guys described it, it was far from boring. People just don't understand the drama that each pitch can hold. Even a part-time baseball fan like myself can understand the importance of this game and I want to thank you all for making even the reading of it exciting. I'm sorry I missed it!

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:23 pm

Pretty good summary of the game on MLB.com by Daniel Kramer:

https://www.mlb.com/news/luis-torrens-h ... 3th-inning
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:27 pm

ddraig wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:16 pm
Funny how people say baseball is boring, especially if it is a pitchers duel. Low scoring games don't hold their interest. And yet, after missing the game and reading the remarks, I missed perhaps the most entertaining, nail-biting, intense, and fun game of the year. The score was 1-0 and the way you guys described it, it was far from boring. People just don't understand the drama that each pitch can hold. Even a part-time baseball fan like myself can understand the importance of this game and I want to thank you all for making even the reading of it exciting. I'm sorry I missed it!
Definitely the best game since the 7-0 comeback Dilly Moore salami game last July. And the beauty of baseball was that game was the antithesis of this won other than we won both games.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:45 pm

I've always said that pitchers' duels are more exciting than any other game played. Sure, high scoring games are fun, and blowouts by your favorite team even more so. But those games where you have pitchers of equal talent and ability going head to head in a low scoring game have always been more interesting to me. I wish I had been able to watch it.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:52 pm

Thinking about Castillo, I can't imagine being more impressed with a new Mariner.

He has the presence of a high respected Spiritual Leader and pitching arsenal of Lucifer himself.....
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:57 pm

Wow, Munoz struck out the side. Pretty good for a no. 7 reliever.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:11 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:54 pm

Possible I was flippin a bit knowing are hitters weren't going to touch him. I count two though. Not going to call him out for borderline pitches a millimeter off the plate. They still haven't posted his scorecard. I will post when they do.
I wouldn't count them either if Castillo was getting the same calls. He was really good late in the game though.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:22 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:11 pm
D-train wrote:

Possible I was flippin a bit knowing are hitters weren't going to touch him. I count two though. Not going to call him out for borderline pitches a millimeter off the plate. They still haven't posted his scorecard. I will post when they do.
I wouldn't count them either if Castillo was getting the same calls. He was really good late in the game though.
Yeah I just don't really buy into any of that. I can be annoying AF but guys are going to get some calls wrong. Let's say if he gets 6 wrong we are ok if it is 3 against us and 3 for us, right? How about 4 against us and 2 for us, does that mean he is a Yankee fan? Or does it have to be 5-1 or 6-0. I honestly think it is random though I could see bias of being for the home team to hear the crowd roar when you call a guy out on strikes. I doubt it is conscious though.

I was an ump for little leagues throw 60mph fastballs and almost no breaking pitches and it was a pretty easy job which I was paid handsomely for ($4 a game.)lol but I imagine it is a bit tougher with these pitchers with insane velo and movement.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:25 pm

We'll see what Ray can do tonight but I'm beginning to think we have the potential of a Drysdale/Koufax combination and if we do, Dipoto should break the bank to keep them here! Add in Gilbert and Kirby and you have something VERY special in the near future.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:28 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:22 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:11 pm
D-train wrote:

Yeah I just don't really buy into any of that. I can be annoying AF but guys are going to get some calls wrong. Let's say if he gets 6 wrong we are ok if it is 3 against us and 3 for us, right? How about 4 against us and 2 for us, does that mean he is a Yankee fan? Or does it have to be 5-1 or 6-0. I honestly think it is random though I could see bias of being for the home team to hear the crowd roar when you call a guy out on strikes. I doubt it is conscious though.

I was an ump for little leagues throw 60mph fastballs and almost no breaking pitches and it was a pretty easy job which I was paid handsomely for ($4 a game.)lol but I imagine it is a bit tougher with these pitchers with insane velo and movement.
I just want it consistent. If he's giving the borderline outside call, it had to go both ways. It's not a number thing, it's about giving one team a different strike zone than the other.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez