Meet Matt Brash M's Reliever

Donn Beach

Re: Meet Matt Brash M's Reliever

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:10 pm

I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about posters here that have decided he isn't a starter. Believe the FO have said they haven't given up

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:08 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:10 pm
I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about posters here that have decided he isn't a starter. Believe the FO have said they haven't given up
Many pitchers have gone back and forth: Sale, Price, etc. Stop pretending that there is this gang of posters that are screaming Brash can never transition back out of the pen if the situation is favorable. Right now the team needs dominate players. He is a dominate BP guy and he did not play that part as a starter.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:09 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:57 pm
Brought it up in the other thread, he goes through the minor leagues as a starter, begins the season in the ML rotation. Starts five games and is sent down again and now is not considered a starter? That seems a little odd to me
Seems very odd but you should never question Jerry.
Well, it seems like a move to make THIS year's team better. Isn't that what we want, to get to the playoffs? I for one can't possibly complain, since they definitely did not do shit to make the playoffs last year. Every move made was with an eye for the future, and I was pissed as Hell. I am not sure how pitching out of the pen this year is going to ruin this kid to the point that he can never start again. And, again, it makes this year's team better, or was at least a move made to do just that.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:26 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:14 pm
D-train wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:57 pm
Brought it up in the other thread, he goes through the minor leagues as a starter, begins the season in the ML rotation. Starts five games and is sent down again and now is not considered a starter? That seems a little odd to me
Well, it seems like a move to make THIS year's team better. Isn't that what we want, to get to the playoffs? I for one can't possibly complain, since they definitely did not do shit to make the playoffs last year. Every move made was with an eye for the future, and I was pissed as Hell. I am not sure how pitching out of the pen this year is going to ruin this kid to the point that he can never start again. And, again, it makes this year's team better, or was at least a move made to do just that.
The reason that he was a starter in the first place was because they weren't willing to pay up for Castillo in the offseason. Imagine where we would be if we had Castillo all season. Likely breathing down the Astros necks.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:35 pm

Trust me DT, I was all over how shitty the "biggest off season in franchise history was". My point was making THIS move in season was with an eye on THIS season. That was certainly not the case last year. Couple that with the fact that I certainly don't think this ends Brash's opportunities as a starter down the road? I don't have a problem with the move.

I could go on and on about how shitty the off season was, how shitty it was to never add a bat that has any impact at the deadline, this year and every year. That said, I find it odd that THIS move upsets people.

Mesully11

Post by Mesully11 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:25 pm

One good thing about him being in the bullpen is that he now knows he has the weapons to get MLB players out.
Good learning curve for him next year in the rotation.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:34 pm

I am pretty sure that he already knew he had the stuff. There has never been a question about his stuff from anyone. Its all about command with Brash. What I saw when he was a starter was a young guy who lost a bit of feel and then things just sort of snowballed on him to the point where he couldn't find the plate. I don't know whether experience will help that out or not. I'd certainly like to see him put it all together as as a starter though. Could be like Randy after he had his conversation with Nolan Ryan back in the day. Unfortunately I don't see a path for that happening in Seattle unless they trade a couple guys in the off season. You already have 6 starters and you have Hancock waiting in the wings as well. If he is going to be a starter next year its probably going to be in Tacoma.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:46 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:34 pm
I am pretty sure that he already knew he had the stuff. There has never been a question about his stuff from anyone. Its all about command with Brash. What I saw when he was a starter was a young guy who lost a bit of feel and then things just sort of snowballed on him to the point where he couldn't find the plate. I don't know whether experience will help that out or not. I'd certainly like to see him put it all together as as a starter though. Could be like Randy after he had his conversation with Nolan Ryan back in the day. Unfortunately I don't see a path for that happening in Seattle unless they trade a couple guys in the off season. You already have 6 starters and you have Hancock waiting in the wings as well. If he is going to be a starter next year its probably going to be in Tacoma.
Yeah that is my thinking. If he can develop into a TOR starter in AAA, he would have more value as a trade piece than a BP arm.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:26 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:14 pm
D-train wrote:

The reason that he was a starter in the first place was because they weren't willing to pay up for Castillo in the offseason. Imagine where we would be if we had Castillo all season. Likely breathing down the Astros necks.
The whole thing just seems odd to me, he clearly wasn't ready. Why did they even try that. I guess you'd say because they were desperate not to pay for another pitcher

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:54 pm

He pitched well in ST and he pitch 9 innings in ST....Total.
dt