Javier Baez- Buy Low Candidate

D-train

Re: Javier Baez- Buy Low Candidate

Post by D-train » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:43 am

harmony wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:19 am
Javier Baez and Adam Frazier share the same career wRC+ of 100 although this year Baez is at 77 and Frazier at 81:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/javie ... tion=2B/SS

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/adam- ... tion=2B/OF

Baez has a career on-base percentage of .302 and a career strikeout rate of 28.8 percent while Frazier has a career OBP of .338 and a career strikeout rate of 12.8 percent. This year Baez has an OBP of .262 with a .266 BABIP while Frazier has an OBP of .304 with a .269 BABIP.

Baez, who is one year younger than Frazier, has a career fWAR of 22.5 in 959 games while Frazier has a career fWAR of 11.4 in 776 games. This year Frazier has an fWAR of 0.8 in 97 games while Frazier has an fWAR of 0.9 in 111 games.

Baez has 16 defensive runs saved and a UZR/150 of 0.6 in 2,141 career innings at second base while Frazier has 13 DRS and a UZR/150 of -0,4 in 4,174 career innings at second base.

Frazier, who is likely gone after this season, may be unpopular on this forum but Baez is unlikely to maintain fans with his low OBP and high strikeout rate.

The Mariners will need a second baseman next year but the market may lack obvious targets.
Yup, basically choosing between a fat girl and an ugly girl. I've read that when you are with a fat girl the ugly girl looks pretty and when you are with the ugly girl the fat girl looks thin. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:47 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:19 am
bpj wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:38 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:16 am
Isn't Comerica supposed to be a more hitter friendly park? Why would we think Baez would do better here? Or do we not think that?
I think there are only maybe 1 or 2 shortstops/second basemen in MLB that wouldn't be detrimentally impacted by being in T-Mobile.

Every single one of them is likely to have better road than home numbers.

Maybe a couple have the power that could negate the effects of T-Mobile. Maybe Machado, maybe Correa. Everyone else is going to have an OPS fifty points higher on the road.

So where do we draw the line, who would be good enough, if any?

That's above my pay grade. But at $8-$10M per year if the Tigers eat some of the contract, I may take the chance that Baez could be better than JP, or better than the other available second basemen at least, assuming Bogaerts and Turner sign elsewhere.
Right, but why is he particularly bad at Comerica, which is supposed to be more hitter friendly? It doesn't make sense.
It is like an 11 second search to confirm that Comerica is a pitchers park>

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderbo ... rk-factors
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:01 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:47 am
GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:19 am
bpj wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:38 am

I think there are only maybe 1 or 2 shortstops/second basemen in MLB that wouldn't be detrimentally impacted by being in T-Mobile.

Every single one of them is likely to have better road than home numbers.

Maybe a couple have the power that could negate the effects of T-Mobile. Maybe Machado, maybe Correa. Everyone else is going to have an OPS fifty points higher on the road.

So where do we draw the line, who would be good enough, if any?

That's above my pay grade. But at $8-$10M per year if the Tigers eat some of the contract, I may take the chance that Baez could be better than JP, or better than the other available second basemen at least, assuming Bogaerts and Turner sign elsewhere.
Right, but why is he particularly bad at Comerica, which is supposed to be more hitter friendly? It doesn't make sense.
It is like an 11 second search to confirm that Comerica is a pitchers park>

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderbo ... rk-factors
I was looking at a different source that had it as the fifth or sixth best hitters park, so maybe they changed the dimensions. But still, this is even worse. If Comerica kills him, T-Mobile would bury him a hundred feet deep.