M's must re-up Hanny

Vogelbomb

M's must re-up Hanny

Post by Vogelbomb » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:50 pm

You have to like what you see. In returning to the lineup this past week, Mitch Haniger has ticked all of the boxes. He's immediately stepped into the heart of the lineup in the 3 hole and got on base. He has a hit in all 6 games he's been able to play, hitting 10-for-22 with 3 walks to 4 Ks, 1HR, 1 2B, 2 RBI.
He's also playing great defense when placed in right field. On Friday night against the Rangers, Haniger made a leaping running catch on the warning track, then threw a seed to first to score a 9-3 double play and help starting pitcher George Kirby out of a jam.
Haniger has absolutely been a presence since returning, exactly what the Mariners need as they turn for home with their eyes set on securing the No. 1 wild card position in the American League. But that's not all that's been impressive about Haniger in his return. His physique also looks markedly improved.
Haniger has built some quality strength over the three months he's been absent from the lineup. I think this is going to pay major dividends for the power hitter moving forward.

Ultimately, as you evaluate Haniger who is in the final months of his initial 6 yrs team control and will be looking to secure a strong FA contract as he hits the market at 31, entering his age 32 season, I think you have to feel very strongly if you're in the Mariners shoes about this being the type of hitter, the type of outfielder you want to hold onto for another 3 years, easy. He shouldn't command much more than that given his injury history, age and being hidden up in Seattle. A 3-year, $50m deal seems about right to me. Hell, throw a team option on there for a 4th. Put some All-Star and MVP incentives in there.

What is also working in Haniger's favor is the sudden lack of emerging outfielders in the Mariners 40-man and lower levels. Among his competition on the active roster, only Julio has solidified a 2023 spot given full health. Jesse Winker, given his final yr of arb contract status and prior AS form, likely earns the top LF job but he's by no means locked for 2024 and beyond. Taylor Trammell may just be the 4th OF guy and could slide into the starting trio if Winker were to falter. (Or Haniger/Rodriguez missed sig time again). The likes of Jarred Kelenic, who I expect to remain in AAA all of 2023, and Kyle Lewis who really needs to investigate every medical option to get himself as close to full health as humanly possible in the offseason, otherwise consider retirement, are squarely on the periiphery. The likes of Zach Deloach and Allberto Rodriguez are still a year plus away.

I believe re-upping Mitch Haniger has to be priority 2 or 3 for Dipoto this winter. First, is extending Luis Castillo. From there, I would go re-up Haniger before he hits the market, sign a FA SS for either SS or 2B (I honestly don't really care, just talk to JP and get this figured out) targeting the likes of Bogaerts (given his opt out), Dansby Swanson and Trea Turner. Turner has already shown willingness to move to 2b, doing so with the Dodgers last season. Again, just figure it out. Stop acting like you can't add a SS because you already have one. Priority 4 should be adding a talented reliever to the back end, Munoz is slowly becoming elite but it always helps to have another, to that end go hard after Edwin Diaz, your homegrown superstar. Bring him home.

desbcoach

Re: M's must re-up Hanny

Post by desbcoach » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:09 pm

I only reup on short term contract or contract with limits due to IL time. 3 year contract renews if hit 130 games after each year. Make pay worth while for the gamble or just give 18 million QO and sign nimro or other FA as back in case TT or others fail

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:27 pm

Lol then this show up
D71DFF30-B882-46C8-8902-BB31F3C6E0CE.png

ice99

Post by ice99 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:34 pm

Smart move by Jerry.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:31 pm

There's the injury risk, but re-signing Haniger makes a lot of sense. If he leaves, I'm not sure how you replace that production. Besides Judge, the only decent outfielders on the market are Nimmo, Benintendi, and Joc Pederson. The smart thing to do would be to sign him now, before the season ends.

Thepeelsessions

Post by Thepeelsessions » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:10 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:31 pm
If he leaves, I'm not sure how you replace that production.
Jarred Kelenic :D

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:02 am

The QO, even if it's around $20m, is a good move for both sides. I'd be in favor.

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:10 am

If negotiations are under way the Mariners probably have made it clear that Mitch Haniger will be extended a qualifying offer, suppressing the outside market for the nearly 32-year-old outfielder who has troubles staying on the field.

MLB Trade Rumors places Haniger in the borderline category in its analysis of candidates for qualifying offers:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/ ... ayers.html

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:11 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:50 pm
You have to like what you see. In returning to the lineup this past week, Mitch Haniger has ticked all of the boxes. He's immediately stepped into the heart of the lineup in the 3 hole and got on base. He has a hit in all 6 games he's been able to play, hitting 10-for-22 with 3 walks to 4 Ks, 1HR, 1 2B, 2 RBI.
He's also playing great defense when placed in right field. On Friday night against the Rangers, Haniger made a leaping running catch on the warning track, then threw a seed to first to score a 9-3 double play and help starting pitcher George Kirby out of a jam.
Haniger has absolutely been a presence since returning, exactly what the Mariners need as they turn for home with their eyes set on securing the No. 1 wild card position in the American League. But that's not all that's been impressive about Haniger in his return. His physique also looks markedly improved.
Haniger has built some quality strength over the three months he's been absent from the lineup. I think this is going to pay major dividends for the power hitter moving forward.

Ultimately, as you evaluate Haniger who is in the final months of his initial 6 yrs team control and will be looking to secure a strong FA contract as he hits the market at 31, entering his age 32 season, I think you have to feel very strongly if you're in the Mariners shoes about this being the type of hitter, the type of outfielder you want to hold onto for another 3 years, easy. He shouldn't command much more than that given his injury history, age and being hidden up in Seattle. A 3-year, $50m deal seems about right to me. Hell, throw a team option on there for a 4th. Put some All-Star and MVP incentives in there.

What is also working in Haniger's favor is the sudden lack of emerging outfielders in the Mariners 40-man and lower levels. Among his competition on the active roster, only Julio has solidified a 2023 spot given full health. Jesse Winker, given his final yr of arb contract status and prior AS form, likely earns the top LF job but he's by no means locked for 2024 and beyond. Taylor Trammell may just be the 4th OF guy and could slide into the starting trio if Winker were to falter. (Or Haniger/Rodriguez missed sig time again). The likes of Jarred Kelenic, who I expect to remain in AAA all of 2023, and Kyle Lewis who really needs to investigate every medical option to get himself as close to full health as humanly possible in the offseason, otherwise consider retirement, are squarely on the periiphery. The likes of Zach Deloach and Allberto Rodriguez are still a year plus away.

I believe re-upping Mitch Haniger has to be priority 2 or 3 for Dipoto this winter. First, is extending Luis Castillo. From there, I would go re-up Haniger before he hits the market, sign a FA SS for either SS or 2B (I honestly don't really care, just talk to JP and get this figured out) targeting the likes of Bogaerts (given his opt out), Dansby Swanson and Trea Turner. Turner has already shown willingness to move to 2b, doing so with the Dodgers last season. Again, just figure it out. Stop acting like you can't add a SS because you already have one. Priority 4 should be adding a talented reliever to the back end, Munoz is slowly becoming elite but it always helps to have another, to that end go hard after Edwin Diaz, your homegrown superstar. Bring him home.
I started making a way too early offseason plan the other day. I did not finish but among the ideas was:

Add another elite BP part *Diaz or a dominating lefty BP *Chaffin :oops:

I toyed with the idea of going and getting another 1-2 type ( Rodon, Verlander, Degrom, Sale,)

Add another MVP type #3 or 4 hitter and preferred left handed bat.
Best candidates: Judge OF, Turner/Carlos C./Xander B SS in Free agency

Trades are just so difficult to project.
CF B Reynolds,
2b/CF Marte
SS/OF Tatis
CF Trout
SP/DH Ohtani

Ohtani only has 1 year left and I think he is tired of being on a loser. Speaking of which the ANgels have not had a winning season since 2014 despite having what most consider the baseball Goat on their team, and they add another for the last several years and still are a loser.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:25 am

I have always felt JD’s plan has been to make the playoffs this year and whet our whistles. If true then ownership had better allow him to release the Kraken in the off season. Your plan is sound and I hope he is on the same page