Even at full strength our offense is below average

DavidGee24

Even at full strength our offense is below average

Post by DavidGee24 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:35 pm

It is. They're 99.5% incapable of having a game where they score in double figures (it's only happened once this season, just as it only happened once last season), and they just can't string together enough hits to create big innings like most other teams can.

It didn't have to be this way, of course. We could have easily signed Seiya Suzuki or Kyle Schwarber, and we could have easily traded for Josh Bell. EASILY. But we didn't because this organization is too cheap. Instead we acquire guys like Carlos Santana, Jake Lamb, Juston Upton, and Jake Bauers.

desbcoach

Re: Even at full strength our offense is below average

Post by desbcoach » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:59 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:35 pm
It is. They're 99.5% incapable of having a game where they score in double figures (it's only happened once this season, just as it only happened once last season), and they just can't string together enough hits to create big innings like most other teams can.

It didn't have to be this way, of course. We could have easily signed Seiya Suzuki or Kyle Schwarber, and we could have easily traded for Josh Bell. EASILY. But we didn't because this organization is too cheap. Instead we acquire guys like Carlos Santana, Jake Lamb, Juston Upton, and Jake Bauers.
Hard to argue the “to cheap”

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:05 pm

It's for sure below average for a contender.

There's no reason fans should be letting the Mariners off easy anymore.

Their payroll this season at $104M included Giles $5.5M, Steckenrider $3M, Flexen $3M, Romo $2M, Frazier $8M, Winker $6.25M, for a total of $27.75M

For 2023 if they sign:
Judge 8/$280
Bell 4/80
Rodon 4/80
Haniger QO 1/$18M

Say they keep Flexen and trade the remaining guys Marco and Winker to clear room for the improvements, the resulting payroll would be in the $160M range. That's not even Top 10 in MLB roster spending.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:08 pm

Bell has sure been shitty in SD.

.492 OPS w. no homers over his last 39 AB's.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:18 pm

Same thing happened to Frazier last season....
dt

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:01 am

Julio has sure looked awful since coming back. If you take out his infield single on Friday, he's 2-for-13 w/ 3K and bb. Showing some poor swing decisions both Saturday and Sunday. He'll get going, just needs more PAs, get his rhythm and timing back. Once he does, the lineup is immensely better. And Ty France has also been brutal this month.

The team is just going thru the dog days, France and JRod coming back from injuries which have clearly disrupted their rhythm, Raleigh has been ran into the ground and the trio of Winker, Suarez and Santana are just inconsistent is as inconsistent does. Santana should be DFA'd in days for Trammell.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:10 am

Don't worry guys, I am being told the offense is fine, we just need to find our Identity again.
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:16 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:35 pm

You mean the same Josh Bell that collapsed just like Frazier did last year moving from those small Eastern parks to the West coast pitcher parks 58 OPS+ with SD.

Suzuki was going to save our offense with his 105 OPS+ in MLB? And 100 million do get him?

Kyle .211 .314 .500 .814 124 OPS+. He is hitting in a bandbox
Another one of the they are too cheap can't miss guys:

Marcus has a 100 OPS+
B Belt a 102 OPS+
Donaldson a 101 OPS+
Benentendi's 82 OPS+ replaces Gallo's 78 OPS+
LAD Gallo has a 149 OPS+ :shock:

I will be the 1st to admit I had plans with ??? Donaldson, Marcus, Kyle, Belt, Suzuki,Bryant, Carlos, etc. And in my mind thay all had either limited track record of success, injury concerns, M<ile high hitter haven to T-mobile adjusted expectations.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:23 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:10 am
Don't worry guys, I am being told the offense is fine, we just need to find our Identity again.
Same guy now with some hard hitting uniform discussions. Very impressed by JPs choice of Purple. FFS.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:21 am

I am probably more into fashion than the average dude. You all saw my amazing pink shirt yesterday, right. lol

Imagine it the other way around. Stecker works for Sports radio and writes about the M's for the website. Imagine a writer for a Fashion magazine tweeting about a fashion designer that has had a bad year. All of the fashion shows he has been a part of his clothes have sucked and he has gotten terrible reviews. But this Fashion writer sends out a SERIOUS tweet that says, "I went to the annual celebrity softball game and Versace has really picked up his game this year. Hit a HR and a double today." Loving it."

People would be like WTF? That is how I feel when I see people talking about this nonsense about guy that has been a big reason this offense has sucked for 3.5 months. Who Cares.
dt