Single season HR leader Poll

All time single season HR Leader

The Babe with 60 in 154 games
6%
Maris with 61 in 162 games (Judge has to be on PEDs)
No votes
Bonds
31%
Judge
63%

Total votes: 16

Mesully11

Re: Single season HR leader Poll

Post by Mesully11 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:03 pm

Assuming Judge hits a couple of more at least I will say it is him.
Bonds just doesn't count for obvious reasons to me.

I thought about the smaller stadium at yankersville but realized that Judge doesn't hit "cheap" homers, he pulverizes the ball.

I don't think his $300 million contract will age very well given his injuries over the years and his extra large frame plus his age.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:37 pm

Mesully11 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:03 pm
Assuming Judge hits a couple of more at least I will say it is him.
Bonds just doesn't count for obvious reasons to me.

I thought about the smaller stadium at yankersville but realized that Judge doesn't hit "cheap" homers, he pulverizes the ball.

I don't think his $300 million contract will age very well given his injuries over the years and his extra large frame plus his age.
Judge is right handed and Yankee Stadium is a bit more fair to left field than it is to right. Judges HR splits are dead even 30 at home 30 on the road.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:41 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:57 pm
Maris only had 55 Home Runs through 154 games. Ruth hit 6 HR in the last week of the season in 1927. He was on a tear and If he had had an extra 8 games There is little doubt he would have hit a few more than 60.

Judge and Ruth are tied as far as I am concerned. The Yankees have played 147 games. If Judge hits another Home run in the next week he will be the legitimate single season leader.

Bonds had his career year in his prime at age 28 and declined gradually from there. Then he started taking roids and at age 36 he hits 27 more home runs than he did at age 28 and has an OPS .243 points higher. Bonds is the most obvious cheater in the game and I don't give anything he did after 1999 any credence whatsoever.
This

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:16 pm

I'll take Judge if he gets two more. PEDs gave Bonds, McGwire and Sosa a huge artifical advantage that probably added at least 20 - 30 home runs apiece. Because Bonds was so great, he's the only one I could see legitimately having a shot at the record since his was a combination of PEDs and significantly improved hitting. Bear in mind too that without the video game numbers he would have had less walks and more ABs. Otherwise, eff him.

A good question would be for which of the Yankees is it the biggest accomplishment? Ruth, who other than his porch at Yankee Stadium played mostly in huge parks, including the non-porch area of Yankee Stadium? Maris, who had to deal with tremendous pressure? Or Judge, who has to hit against top-notch starting and relief pitching almost every single AB? I say Judge, then Maris, then Ruth.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:16 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:16 pm
I'll take Judge if he gets two more. PEDs gave Bonds, McGwire and Sosa a huge artifical advantage that probably added at least 20 - 30 home runs apiece. Because Bonds was so great, he's the only one I could see legitimately having a shot at the record since his was a combination of PEDs and significantly improved hitting. Bear in mind too that without the video game numbers he would have had less walks and more ABs. Otherwise, eff him.

A good question would be for which of the Yankees is it the biggest accomplishment? Ruth, who other than his porch at Yankee Stadium played mostly in huge parks, including the non-porch area of Yankee Stadium? Maris, who had to deal with tremendous pressure? Or Judge, who has to hit against top-notch starting and relief pitching almost every single AB? I say Judge, then Maris, then Ruth.
The greatest accomplishment is unquestionably Ruth simply because of the distance between him and everyone else playing the game at that time. The Yankees beat the Pittsburgh Pirates in the World Series in 1927. The Pirates only had 54 Home runs for their entire team. MLB average for a team was 66 and Ruth by himself was at 91% of that. MLB average so far in 2022 is 161 HR per team so to put Ruths accomplishment into perspective that would be like someone hitting 146 HR today.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:18 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:

Too bad Maris isn't still alive. The M's lineup could reach out for advice about how to handle the tremendous pressure of not choking away the playoffs while facing the Angels and As pitching staffs....
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:54 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:16 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:

The greatest accomplishment is unquestionably Ruth simply because of the distance between him and everyone else playing the game at that time. The Yankees beat the Pittsburgh Pirates in the World Series in 1927. The Pirates only had 54 Home runs for their entire team. MLB average for a team was 66 and Ruth by himself was at 91% of that. MLB average so far in 2022 is 161 HR per team so to put Ruths accomplishment into perspective that would be like someone hitting 146 HR today.
That's probably an even better argument for Ruth than what I came up with. People had to be in a sort of awe that has never been equaled.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:05 pm

One of the story lines with Maris was that Babe's record stood so long. It was actually only 34 years. So would be like Judge breaking a record set in 1988. I can still remember some of my college parties in '88 lol.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:14 am

Again, Ruth invented the home run, he put up a number that stood for 34 years after doing it. I really don't see anybody else in his league

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:21 pm

Estimated distance Pujols has jogged around the bases on HRs.
dt